Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #521 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oops didnt explained enough , i only saw a similar post i #492 .

If you could show me where i would read it up or watch it .

The thing is am not sure how the % is different in the EPA and the travel limit adjustment. it's not similar to the swash ring like the Futaba 8FG is it?
evoIX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #522 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default inquiry

hi sir bob, downloaded your videos regarding the a9 since im planning to buy one, but have not been through all the posts... have you installed it on a model? my main question is how's the latency of the tx?thanks....

Lawrence
khymlawrence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #523 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by khymlawrence View Post
hi sir bob, downloaded your videos regarding the a9 since im planning to buy one, but have not been through all the posts... have you installed it on a model? my main question is how's the latency of the tx?thanks....

Lawrence
You should have no concern at all about latency. I HAVE to run expo because this freakin radio is so connected. It's almost scary it is so connected feeling.
When you get one you will see it even on the bench

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #524 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
You should have no concern at all about latency. I HAVE to run expo because this freakin radio is so connected. It's almost scary it is so connected feeling.
When you get one you will see it even on the bench

Bob
Hi Bob... Just curious as to what are you flying using the A9?
Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #525 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
Hi Bob... Just curious as to what are you flying using the A9?
Thanks
Sorry to say but nothing right now. It was on my 450 Pro but when I went to mini-Vbar I had to go back to Spektrum sats. But when I was using the A9 I truly was not having what a lot call latency issues. Yes I could feel it was slower than the AT radio but after a few flights to me.... it did not matter.

Nothing against Hitec here but those that want and need to use the fastest servos, fastest radios, etc... Yes you will feel the A9's latency. I have done a few videos now showing you can use analog servos on a heli and still do all the 3D stuff... So having the fastest high dollar stuff is really a game..... However, the average Joe would not really know the difference of latency especially if they started out with the A9. It's a damn capable radio and trust that ANYTHING you can do with a heli you can do with the A9. Marketing, hype, and all that is just that... Sure some of it can be felt, but it does not mean it is limiting you on what you can do. You the pilot IS the biggest limiter

Bob
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #526 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob

Never really having flown anything before the A9... latency, for better or for worst, is a non issue.

I'm using the A9 on my Beam E4 and am really enjoying it.

Now I'm putting together a Furion 6 FBL and will use the A9...
There will be more stuff on the Heli due to not having satellites for the Skookum like Futaba and Spektrum have, but I'm sure the Furion won't notice the added weight

Its just a real nice radio to program and use, made rather easy with the work you've done.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #527 (permalink)
Registered Users

so bob should i just leave all my travel limit at 150%?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #528 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Personally after having owned almost all the Hitec radios they have made since like 1987 or so, this is the best radio they have ever had. For what it is capable of for the price, it's a great radio. I do need to get it on another heli and will do so soon.

Bob
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #529 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default leds

Sir Bob,

Sir, ive read somewhere that they already have fixed the issue of the Crazy LED during binding or changing into scan mode/normal mode in the new updates...... since i have not bought the a9 yet, can you please verify? thanks..... Finless Bob is

cheers,

Lawrence
Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #530 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well the crazy LED thing did not really cause any problems if you follow the proceedure to the letter. That was just me messing around finding other LED status conditions. If I get a chance this week I will check but in reality it's not an issue either way.

Bob
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #531 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well the crazy LED thing did not really cause any problems if you follow the proceedure to the letter. That was just me messing around finding other LED status conditions. If I get a chance this week I will check but in reality it's not an issue either way.

Bob
And it says they changed the "scan mode" into a less complex "scan function" in module version 3.01 which now i dont understand . youre a great help sir...thanks in advance..

Lawrence
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #532 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would like to know if the Hitec radio would work with the Futaba high end Gyro ? or those are only for futaba radio?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #533 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoIX View Post
Would like to know if the Hitec radio would work with the Futaba high end Gyro ? or those are only for futaba radio?
Not sure what your definition of a "high end gyro" is, but I'm using a GY-520 with my Hitec A9 Tx and Hitec Optima 7 Rx.
Gain on this Tx is not 1 to 1 to the Gyro, but Finless, in his videos, shows a technique to trick compensate for the difference and make it appear to be 1-to-1 using the end points.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #534 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question A9 & Vbar

Quote:
Sorry to say but nothing right now. It was on my 450 Pro but when I went to mini-Vbar I had to go back to Spektrum sats. But when I was using the A9 I truly was not having what a lot call latency issues. Yes I could feel it was slower than the AT radio but after a few flights to me.... it did not matter.

Nothing against Hitec here but those that want and need to use the fastest servos, fastest radios, etc... Yes you will feel the A9's latency. I have done a few videos now showing you can use analog servos on a heli and still do all the 3D stuff... So having the fastest high dollar stuff is really a game..... However, the average Joe would not really know the difference of latency especially if they started out with the A9. It's a damn capable radio and trust that ANYTHING you can do with a heli you can do with the A9. Marketing, hype, and all that is just that... Sure some of it can be felt, but it does not mean it is limiting you on what you can do. You the pilot IS the biggest limiter

Bob
So Bob are you saying that the A9 and mini Vbar will not work together?? I am looking at getting a Logo500se /w mini Vbar. I sent you a e mail about a week ago and you said it should work fine, If my memory serves me correct. Or am I wrong ???
n2750w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #535 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I have not tested it with a Vbar but it should work fine. You would use Separate Channel (Standard hook up) in the RX settings in VBar setup.

There is a bug you must be aware of. It has to do with the throttle trim effecting pitch on H1 swash types. Vbar is setup to use H1 swash type. This bug does not exist with CCPM helis. If this is a nitro heli then do not use throttle trim to adjust engine idle. Throttle trim is also changing pitch a little in H1 swash. Leave the throttle trim centered or it will give you uneven pitch e.g. pitch center / 0 pitch will change if you take throttle trim off center.

Bob
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #536 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink A9 & Vbar

Thanks for the clarification! This is going to be a E heli.
n2750w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #537 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nothing against Hitec here but those that want and need to use the fastest servos, fastest radios, etc... Yes you will feel the A9's latency. I have done a few videos now showing you can use analog servos on a heli and still do all the 3D stuff... So having the fastest high dollar stuff is really a game..... However, the average Joe would not really know the difference of latency especially if they started out with the A9. It's a damn capable radio and trust that ANYTHING you can do with a heli you can do with the A9.
All cool and all and I believe your word for it , but did you actually measure the latency?

I've got an A9 myself and a good couple of other transmitters and they really all have about the exact same response time.

This translates to different Expo values and what not to get the same flight characteristics, but I never ever had the idea that it was responding too slow.

You really won't notice a difference of one or two milliseconds and bear in mind that for example a Spektrum radio can go from 8ms latency up to 50ms latency.

It's much much better to have a consistent latency instead (and signal quality counts).

To put things even more in perspective, there are in fact 1000 (0,001 seconds) milliseconds in one full second. This still means you're not ever going to notice the difference between 10ms (0,01 seconds) and 50ms (=0,05 seconds).

The average human reaction time is somewhere between 200ms and 250ms.

You'd be surprised to see how many full seconds entire 3D figures take and even though many of those require near constant stick input the entire time, I really don't think 10ms or 50ms is going to matter a whole lot.

I'd even doubt someone would really notice.
PHeMoX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #538 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeMoX View Post
All cool and all and I believe your word for it , but did you actually measure the latency?

I've got an A9 myself and a good couple of other transmitters and they really all have about the exact same response time.

This translates to different Expo values and what not to get the same flight characteristics, but I never ever had the idea that it was responding too slow.

You really won't notice a difference of one or two milliseconds and bear in mind that for example a Spektrum radio can go from 8ms latency up to 50ms latency.

It's much much better to have a consistent latency instead (and signal quality counts).

To put things even more in perspective, there are in fact 1000 (0,001 seconds) milliseconds in one full second. This still means you're not ever going to notice the difference between 10ms (0,01 seconds) and 50ms (=0,05 seconds).

The average human reaction time is somewhere between 200ms and 250ms.

You'd be surprised to see how many full seconds entire 3D figures take and even though many of those require near constant stick input the entire time, I really don't think 10ms or 50ms is going to matter a whole lot.

I'd even doubt someone would really notice.
You can tell the difference between the A9 and a faster radio, trust me, it's there. I had an A9 and I could tell the difference. Like Bob says, if the A9 is your only radio and it's all you fly you will dial in but to say that you can't feel the difference between it and faster radios just flies in the face of reality.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #539 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
You can tell the difference between the A9 and a faster radio, trust me, it's there. I had an A9 and I could tell the difference. Like Bob says, if the A9 is your only radio and it's all you fly you will dial in but to say that you can't feel the difference between it and faster radios just flies in the face of reality.

TM
What's there to argue?

I've got multiple radios myself, some of which are Futaba, Spektrum and in fact also the Hitec A9. This latency people argue about really is a non-issue.

I also do not see how 'dialing it in' has anything to do with latency issues that are suggested to ruin the direct control.

I actually do understand the 'feel' is different between radios, but to be honest every other radio I've got requires a slightly different bunch of settings on Expo, gyro gains and so on. That's just what it is, different.

They do not however differ much as far as direct control and latency goes.

Contrary to what you might think, I am not defending anything here.

I'm just very skeptical about any amount of latency (unless it gets rather extreme like a quarter of a second) being such a big deal.
PHeMoX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #540 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I prefer to stay out of these arguments for the most part but as for measured latency, it has been measured. JKOS over on Runryder has an ongoing post he updates all the time with measured latency of radios. So if you want those facts here is the link:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/

All I will say is when directly switching between radios on the same heli differences can be felt. Well at least I can feel them. Now not all of it maybe latency either. Feel of the sticks, since I do use expo, how the expo is "applied" in the radio (A9 is different here), etc, etc. People talk about a connected feeling and I can somewhat agree. However as I said, fly X radio and for the most part you may never know about it. AND as I said this is something that is not going to hold you back. If you believe you are not getting say piro flips down for some reason, it's not your radios latency causing that.

A prime example and a bit of history on my perspective of this. When I got back into helis in 2003'ish I got a Futaba 9C. No one was talking about latency back then. I had a Raptor 50 and a 90 (non-CCPM). Later I got my first CCPM heli, an Hirobo Sceadu Evo 50 with the CCPM kit. Now here is where I first started to see issues. On this heli if you moved the collective up and down somewhat fast (about tic toc speed) on the bench you could actually see and feel the paddles "stepping" as the servos were not always moving the swash up and down together and one servo would play catch up. HOWEVER I am not sure I ever "felt" this issue in the air? I had nothing really to compare to back then and possibly I was just flying around it.

OK so on to today. I still see guys that have that old 9C radio out flying me and many others and really having no issues. They don't know it! So these latency issues while felt, does not mean you can't do everything with a heli. You can!

As I said earlier, to prove a simple point, I did a build using analog servos of moderate speed and could fly it no problem and do everything I am capable of doing with a heli. Did I feel a difference with them? Sure I did. Being analog they did not center as well. That was the biggest difference I noticed. The "connected" feel or speed was not as good but certainly not limiting my flying capability.

So what does all this jabber mean? Well I am not telling you to ignore latency, buy cheap slow servos, or anything like that. If your “into” this hobby and want the best, fastest, etc… go for it. All I am saying is you can be very happy enjoying this hobby with just about any of the current products available today. If the best, fastest, Uber stuff is what you want. Do your research and go buy it. If you already have something and are enjoying it, don’t let some specs keep you from enjoying what you have. You’re not being held back by any of today’s RC Heli technology. Tomorrow however, that maybe a different discussion

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in