Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #501 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default different trims in modes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Because of the tail rotor push left to compensate for torque most helis will drift left because of this push. If you trim that out then the heli will look like it is leaning right. When first learning it is OK to trim that out but later you do not want that as when you go inverted it may not be trimmed. As for pulling back that could be a CG issue like your battery is not forward enough, etc. When you trim, you trim the opposite direction the heli is going. If drifting left you trim aileron to the right.

Bob
HI Bob-

Kind of a new guy here; I have not posted much yet. First- I enjoy your videos, sense of humor, and that you do this at all for the heli masses. I appreciate it.
Regarding your post above: do you use separate trim settings for normal/hover, versus idle up and other modes? Or you just always "fly" the drift out in all modes?

Thanks,
Greg
gheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #502 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Some radios do allow for different trims in different modes (the A9 does). Some do not (they are always tied). I usually fly around the trim in all modes IF it is simply the tail rotor push causing the drift left. If it is drifting our out of trim in any other direction other than tail rotor push, I will either fix that adjusting links or just trim it out in all modes.

Some people will freak and say NO do NOT trim... Well I do myself so sure call me lazy. Heck the first time people heard that Bert Kammerer also trims they freaked

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #503 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, so how you do know if it is tail-induced drift, or a slight left aileron influence?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #504 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Experience which is something no video or typing in a message can explain really.

Bob
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #505 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll give it a shot from a theoretical standpoint. Tail-induced drift will be generally more flat and constant, while an aileron input from slight mis-trim would result in an increasing roll angle?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #506 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want to thank Finless Bob for his video series on the Aurora 9. I just got my Aurora 9 a month or so ago and just finished upgrading my fleet [X-cell .61 Custom; U-Can-Do 3D; Killer Chaos] to 2.4 GHz. Bob's videos were a tremendous help to me in setting up my aircraft. I flew my X-cell for the first time ever yesterday and it was a success. The A9 performed flawlessly. This was also my first flight with 2.4 GHz. Thanks again Bob! And I love the A9!

-kaos
ShuttleZX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #507 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Glad I could help!

Bob
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #508 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob - thanks - awsome set of videos....not sure I could have programmed this beast from the manual alone!!

But I still have 1 question. When you select ccpm for a model on the A9 it shows an arrow for the front of the swash - but on a TRex 600 this is back to front because the elevator rod acts on the front.

How do I turn this around or does it just not matter as long as I get everything moving the right way ? I'm not sure if this will affect any of the ccpm calibration or mixing later on ?

Thanks again
srevs
srevs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #509 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi srevs,
i use the A9 too ive had it on a t6 t7 and now a kasama the the setting you are useing works fine,the mixing is the same.
steve
speedyboy9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #510 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you my friend for your help......

...just got to finish the build now.

-srevs -
srevs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #511 (permalink)
Registered Users

have downloaded some videos....awesome, thanks
dhyayi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #512 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess the question is, Would this be a good upgrade from the DX7. Your opinion means alot to me. I am on a tight budget and can't afford to buy a radio all the time....

Thanks,
Jamie
JRAllen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #513 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thats a tough question really as it depends on many factors. First why do you need to upgrade from a DX7? For helis the only real reason to do so would be to have a gov menu for nitros or you need the extra channels for something like a scale project. Even then a DX7 still can be used you just have to setup custom mixes to make a gov menu. Otherwise your current radio does just about all you need unless again you need more channels. So ask yourself that question first.

Next changing "brands" means also changing all your RX's. If you only have one or two RX's then go for it. If you have many then consider the cost of changing brands and buying all new RX's.

Finally how a radio feels in your hands and what not is very subjective. Before buying any radio I suggest going to a hobby store and feeling the radio in your hands and see if you like it.

Bob
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #514 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I just found another awsome featutre of this radio. If you are using the SPC port to monitior model battery voltage. The radio wont let you change models until the current model is disconnected. The radio just goes into alarm. I know its a silly thing to do but accidents happen.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #515 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks,

The gov was the reason but if there is a video somewhere that explains the mixes for gov I would go that route for now. I am running the RCE 6600 on my Trex 700n with the DX7. I have it pluged into the Aux2 channel and it cuts it on and off. But I need help getting it set up.....

jamie
JRAllen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #516 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAllen View Post
Thanks,

The gov was the reason but if there is a video somewhere that explains the mixes for gov I would go that route for now. I am running the RCE 6600 on my Trex 700n with the DX7. I have it pluged into the Aux2 channel and it cuts it on and off. But I need help getting it set up.....

jamie
See my Trex 600 build videos here. Part 15 shows how to setup mixes on a DX7 to have a gov controlled based on idle up switch.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41514

There is another EASY way to also get a gov menu. Use the gyro menu as a gov menu! For gyro just use travel adjust for gain and dont use a gov menu which I prefer anyway! Then use the gyro menu as a gov menu. Much simpler than the mixes.

Danial also did this post on setting up mixes for a gov and a Switch Glo.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=94078

Bob
Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #517 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Bob, a little off the A9 topic, but I was wondering...
Has anyone ever tried to put together an index for the instructional videos put up by you and others.
Because I have come across some great stuff but its usually in the context of a specific build project.
An index sure would make it easier to find stuff.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #518 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
i had been wondering if there is way to get throttle cut to work only in throttle hold mode and there it was in your videos. Thank you very much!
Never before had i noticed that switch possibility in throttle hold menu.
VanhaKehno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #519 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob ,

Did you explore the travel limit function and how is it different than a normal EPA on the A9 .
evoIX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #520 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Pretty sure I covered that unless I am not understanding the question?

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in