Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default canopy too small for my protos

Hi guys, i would just to know if you have the same problem of me.
I have bought a protos of second hand and it came with an old canopy that was very good.
Since i want to upgraded it, i have bought this canopy https://www.google.it/search?hl=it&a...af%3B800%3B600
The problem is that is too short for reach the canopy mount.
Some of you have the same problem of me?
thank you so much
matty609 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just had the same problem. I replace my old style canopy with the FG version that comes with the new plastic kit. It is actually too small and i had to cut the bottom to make it fit. I'm very disappointed because it is looks also cheap quality. I wonder if the policarbonate version fits.
ercapoccia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The canopies can be very tight with the pins in the stock location. It's very common for folks to simply move the canopy pins forward to the next forward bolt hole. Take the bolt from there, and put it where the canopy pin came from. If you've already cut your canopy, it might fit too loose then, but I've never had a problem fitting it over my packs on my 500 or mini protos with the pin moved forward. Not sure why they don't change the manual to have us build them this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My old canopy was just the perfect size and it was super durable. Why should they do a canopy too small and make us move the pins forward instead of making a canopy of the right size?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished building a CF kit and the canopy is so tight I thought it might snap the plastic pins. I was going to Dremel out the bottom of the canopy but wasn't sure how much room I would end up loosing for the batteries. Never thought about moving the pins. I will try that first, thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pants too tight!

Yes, I have the same issue, so relocating the pins to the front position solve the issue for the user. I have Fusuno, Canomod and OEM canopies and they are ALL tight. It's a good question for the canopy manufacturers. Does anybody slap these canopies on the Protos 500 with a serious lipo installed prior to signing of on the design / shape of the canopy?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the MSH51128 Polycarbonate Canopy also a thight fit?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercapoccia View Post
Is the MSH51128 Polycarbonate Canopy also a thight fit?
Its about the same as the stock canopy.

The Fusuno and Canomod canopies were both a bit roomier than stock btw.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it mondatory to move the canopy pins then?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned User

Quote:
Is it mondatory to move the canopy pins then?
I dont think its mandatory, just recommended.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no way you can fit a fg stock canopy without mod. If all the canopy on the market are the same size it doesn't give you alternative, you can either cut or move the pins.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve92 View Post
Just finished building a CF kit and the canopy is so tight I thought it might snap the plastic pins. I was going to Dremel out the bottom of the canopy but wasn't sure how much room I would end up loosing for the batteries. Never thought about moving the pins. I will try that first, thanks.
And on those plastic pins.... I replaced all of them on my Protos's with aluminum pins. They last, they are rigid and look good too :-) I believe they are made by Lynx and cost about 7 dollars per set.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
And on those plastic pins.... I replaced all of them on my Protos's with aluminum pins. They last, they are rigid and look good too :-) I believe they are made by Lynx and cost about 7 dollars per set.
Could you post a photo and a link about the pins that you installed on ? thank you so much
matty609 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
There is no way you can fit a fg stock canopy without mod. If all the canopy on the market are the same size it doesn't give you alternative, you can either cut or move the pins.
Hi,
I use the stock FG "Orca" canopies and am able to fit them without the pin mod. I don't like moving the pins as the anti rotation bracket is not as tight. What I do is lay my lipo on the side so it is "wide" instead of "tall.

Also, the FB canopy tabs crack very easily, so what I also do is remove the rubber grommet and wrap the tabs with clear hockey tape and poke a hole thru the tape. It holds better than the grommets and provides just enough extra room to allow the canopy to fit with the stock pin placement, and also reinforces the tab so it won't crack and fall off.

One other tip that I got from the finless Bob build video on the Protos is to place a washer between the landing gear and the frame, and then you can slide the bottom of the canopy into that space which will also give more room.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Hi,
I use the stock FG "Orca" canopies and am able to fit them without the pin mod. I don't like moving the pins as the anti rotation bracket is not as tight. What I do is lay my lipo on the side so it is "wide" instead of "tall.

Also, the FB canopy tabs crack very easily, so what I also do is remove the rubber grommet and wrap the tabs with clear hockey tape and poke a hole thru the tape. It holds better than the grommets and provides just enough extra room to allow the canopy to fit with the stock pin placement, and also reinforces the tab so it won't crack and fall off.

One other tip that I got from the finless Bob build video on the Protos is to place a washer between the landing gear and the frame, and then you can slide the bottom of the canopy into that space which will also give more room.

Chief

Thanks for the very informative post.
I have a fusuno "logo 400" canopy on the way from HK it was very cheap and i've read it should fit.
I don't think i'll fly the stock canopy because it seems too fragile. I'll get a poly canopy as soon it comes back in stock on my favourite hobby shop.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lynx now has a canopy alternative with more battery room and good visibility. I'm kindof partial to it myself, but then again it's my design.

http://www.lynxheli.com/product_info...ducts_id=24561
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got an order from Lynx on the way, sounds like Luca stuck a couple of these new canopies in the box to try out as it was being processed.
Really like this canopy design on the Mini so far, looking forward to trying it out on the 500...

Thanks for all the hard work Guys!!! Great to see some new options for the Protos
MSH-Direct is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool, I hope the production version looks good! The prototype came out pretty nice, I based it off a larger "regular" style canopy I did a few years ago when I owned a P500, I basically just added on the wrap-around portion.

I wouldn't exactly call designing and prototyping the canopy "hard work", more like "artistic fun". Luca's team does the hard work of making them all!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Installed my new tail servo last night and moved the pins while I had the tools out. Stock canopy fits perfect now, thanks. I do plan on going with the lynx upgrades as I don't like the way the anti rotation bracket moves regardless of the pins. I am sure it will be fine for now as I don't fly hard.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Got the new speed profile (Evo?) canopy from Luca to try out. (Thanks Luca!!!)
Fit and finish are outstanding as usual.
Really like the paint scheme, its super bright. And just like the Mini canopy the bigger profile will make it easier to see as well as adding a bit of room up front.

I would like to try it out but buried in snow here at the moment so P.M. #7 gets the canopy and tail blades for their Protos 500. Only one P.M. per person so P.M. wisely.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	560900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	560901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	560902  
MSH-Direct is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in