Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

Ok I'm having my 3GX with version 4 on my T-Rex 250 resetting. I have a CC 10 amp BEC installed to power my system. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the BEC, 3GX or a servo drawing too much power. None of the servos, BEC, motor, ESC or 3GX unit even get warm. In the first video watch the green BEC light (at the top of the video), it will blink just as the 3GX resets. I also still have a weird initialization of the 3GX (see second video) the right servo will go full positive before the swash goes up and down 3 times (always the same servo). This bird is about 8 months old so I don't know if it would still be covered under Aligns warrantee. Any help would be appreciated!!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/CWbIEKU8CW8[/ame]

T-Rex 250 Initialization (0 min 25 sec)

Last edited by IamProStreet; 10-20-2013 at 09:13 PM..
IamProStreet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you checked the satellite antenna and satellite antenna cable? It is hard to tell it is brown out or resetting due to signal loss.

I have had bad satellite antenna cable that was causing random shut down issues.
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

But loosing the signal would not reset the 3GX unit. You can see in the video that it turns off and resets.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

Well I got to work on it a bit tonight to try and figure out the problem. I unplugged the aileron servo (the one that freaks out on some initializations) and it still did it. It actually started to reset over and over (first video). Then I unplugged the BEC and plugged the power wire from the ESC back into the plug so I could power up without the BEC. (Second video). Same thing with a different power source. Starting to think its the 3GX that is the problem. Guess tomorrow I will unplug all the servos and test it. If it's the 3GX what kind of warranty does Align have on them? I just got this as a complete kit this spring.
[ame]http://youtu.be/A7PTJO5DFm0[/ame]
[ame]http://youtu.be/Xgl09i28_Rc[/ame]
Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trust me and check the satellite cable connector. 3GX will shut down if you disconnect the satellite. If intermittent, it will look like you are getting brown out.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameci View Post
Trust me and check the satellite cable connector. 3GX will shut down if you disconnect the satellite. If intermittent, it will look like you are getting brown out.
Ok, I understand what your saying now. I thought you were saying if I was loosing radio reception. Will check it out today. But thinking cause the BEC blinks right as it resets it's being overloaded.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Easiest way to check the satellite/satellite cable is change out the satellite/satellite cable with another if you have one. Disconnect all servos from 3GX and monitor if it resets(lightly wiggle the satellite cable on both ends) with only ESC/BEC and satellite. Or connect 3GX to a full receiver to take the satellite out of equation and check if it resets.

If everything checks out fine and still have intermittent power cycle on your 3GX, you can contact Assurance RC for getting 3GX checked out.

http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?...age=contact_us
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

Well I think I found the problem. With all the servos plugged in it resets, as soon as I unplug the pitch servo it will not reset anymore. With all servos unplugged and I plug in only the pitch servo it will reset. Started to remove the pitch servo and found the wire must have been too close to the motor can and it rubbed thru the white wire.

So I removed all the zip ties and retested to see if it reset without the wire touching anything and it still resets with only the pitch servo plugged in. I don't know that when the white wire shorted to the motor it ruined the servo but it's defiantly time for a new servo. I do think I'm going to replace all 3 with a different brand. Any recommendations for the type of servo? Think I may also ask servo recommendations in the 250 forum.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great that you were able to find the cause. With the signal wire touching the motor can is not a good thing.

Servo probably is not damaged. Just need to insulate it make sure no bare wire is touching any metal(especially motor) or CF frame. You can use liquid tape(electrical insulation) to insulated the damaged area. Additionally, putting protective sleeves on servo wires or covering the CF corners(whose sharp corners) where wires will be wrapped around or touching with electrical tape or any other insulation material to protect the wires from rubbing. I have been putting wire mesh sleeves on servo wires lately, because of similar issue I have seen as yours.

I'm assuming you have Align DS415M servos. Only issue I have seen with those servos are the gears stripping easy in crash and some of DS415M being sloppy from new. I would just use them until you need to change out the gears or servo burns out.

I have gone back to DS410(plastic gears, even the DS410M servos get plastic gears on my fleet now when gears need to be replaced) on my 450s and 250 helis. Gears are cheap and much less damages to the servos in crash, especially on my beater 250 and 450 as I crash a lot with them. I also have had a good experience with Hitec 5065MG servos.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

I do think the servo is bad, I did try it with the wires not touching anything and it still causes a reset! A friend did just recommend the Hitec 5065MG and was looking at them as a replacement for the DS415M's that I have now.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Reset

Not sure what's going on in the servo but it looks like the wires got hot. Doubt it's from when they soldered them.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most likely from the shorting of the signal wire. It must have been shorting long enough to get potentiometer to get hot.... It is good thing that that short did not take all of your servos and 3GX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
Not sure what's going on in the servo but it looks like the wires got hot. Doubt it's from when they soldered them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in