Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500 pro DFC Servo question

I'm looking for input as which servos to use on my 500. I have both used Hitec hs5245's and slightly used Align ds515's. I read about the 5245's having a problem with the shaft hole in the case wearing out so I'm wondering what's the best to use? Thanks. J
reor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at the specs on each servo:

515:
http://www.helidirect.com/align-ds51...vo-p-28384.hdx

5245's:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXCRT0&P=8

The Hitec's only run at 4.8v and they are rather slow for a mini servo at 0.15 sec to 60 degrees.

The Align 515 maintains similar (slightly better) torque figures but is a full 30% faster since they are capable of handling 6.0v's.

Further, if you notice in the comments below on the Hitec, it requires a Hitec specific field programmer to set the failsafes on the servos. I'm not quite sure what that is, but the 515's require no such device - you just set the failsafes in your FBL/Tx settings as normal.

If the 515's aren't highly used, I would definitely go with them. I use them on my 500 FBL and they are great servos.

Be aware though, the 515's only drawback is that they are very power hungry. Most coreless servos typically are, but the 515's are even more-so.

Most internal BEC's can have power surge/brownout issues with these servos so I would advise you use an external BEC like the Castle Pro 20A. I personally use my Castle Edge 75's internal BEC at 6.0v but I also have a Scorpion backup guard going into my FBL for power redundancy.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm using a Castle Talon 90. Would I still need separate BEC with the 515's. The talon has a internal 8 amp BEC. Thx
Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talon has an 8A BEC, but remember the actual servo lead is only capable of delivering 5A to the FBL/receiver. It says this in the Talon's instructions but can easily be missed.

You can add/solder an extra servo lead to the Talon, to have two power leads going into the FBL - allowing for 10A of load.

OR you can run a capacitor pack or Backup guard for power redundancy.

Either way you, you should test your power setup on the bench by powering the heli/servos/FBL and satellites and applying load to the head manually while moving the sticks. You should not be able to brown out the receiver.

Test further by stirring the sticks, simultaneously moving the cyclic and rudder channels. Again, should not be seeing the Sat blinking.

Lastly, do some fast pitch pumps on the collective - again watch the sat.

If you pass those tests, i'd say you're ready for a maiden.
OXY rep
Old 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just for the info..
I've been runing the Hitec 5245's on two 500's for the past three years. No issues, even through several crashes, and have MANY sets of gears and cases just in case they need rebuilding, but havent had to yet. Granted, I am flying a FB'd heli, so the servos dont take the same hit as they do on a FBL heli. But just wanted voice my experience with them. Oh and as for speed...the 5245's on my two 500's are very quick. Almost too quick for me on my HC500.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm taking the stock aligns off my 500 DFC and replacing then with Futaba BLS451's and a BLS421 on the tail. I have them on my 550 and love them.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
I'm taking the stock aligns off my 500 DFC and replacing then with Futaba BLS451's and a BLS421 on the tail. I have them on my 550 and love them.
451's are standard size.....how you going to fit them onto a 500?
OXY rep
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use the 5245 on my trex500 with tracx head.

I've got no problems to report. They've held up to crashes very well.

That said I put them on quite a while ago and there may be better options now.

I'm using the stock align esc so I've got to be careful with servo choice unless I want to add a Bec.
rob78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in