Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Holding the DX6I after injury

Hi,

I suffered a hand injury end of April this year, having my index finger on right hand crushed by a sledge hammer!! I haven't flown my 450 since the accident as I have very limited movement on my index finger and every time I try to hold the remote I hit the throttle kill switch with my middle finger which obviously takes the power out. Could someone tell me if this function can be moved to the trainer switch on the left hand side of the remote? I also want to know if its also safe to fly the 450 with just thumbs or if this is too dangerous. When I got into the hobby about 20 months ago now my teacher advised not to fly using thumbs as there is less control...if this is the case then I may have to sell up all my heli kit and maybe look into cars- I hope this isn't the case.

Any help advice would be muchly appreciated
4503D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many very good pilots fly thumbs, Bert Kammerer is probably the most famous. It is strictly a personal preference. I tried both when I first started out and preferred the thumbs. As for the Dx6i, I do not believe you can reassign which switch is for throttle hold. The new Dx6 may have that feature, I know the Dx9 and Dx18 do.
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure which generation you're a part of, but for all of us that grew up playing video games, using thumbs is totally natural, and we have plenty of control. It will take some getting used to though, if all you've ever done was pinch.

As for the TH switch, you may find that your grip changes when you are using thumbs, and it may not be that big of an issue. Otherwise, like puppy said, get a DX8 that let's you reconfigure your switches. Much better option than leaving the hobby behind!

And sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you're able to recover full use of your finger in good time.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just checked my 6i nope won`t do it...but +1 for Gladius...I know I would in your condition and I hope you get better soon there pilot!!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thank you

Hi everyone thanks for all the advice, think i'm going to look into a new remote as I enjoy the hobby far to much. Great that people are prepared to send out some advice for a pilot in distress!!

Hoping I will be in the air again in 4-5 weeks time. (just got to break the news to the wife now that im spending money again on this addictive hobby)
4503D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or, if you like to tinker, you could open that case up and relocate switch to another spot and lengthen wires. Pretty easy task if you're handy that way.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but like Gladius said, most console controllers force you to use thumbs. A lot of games take some serious skills and finesse, so that being said...............THUMB ON!!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear about the accident, ouch.
If I can make it work I am sure you'll figure something. Check my thread out.
I'd say a more adjustable radio will do the trick, be a better feel too.

You could also as I do reverse direction of your Hold switch if it helps.
On DX6i you may need to do this mechanically by actually rotating the switch.
On a radio more tunable you would do this in programming.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4503D View Post
Hi everyone thanks for all the advice, think i'm going to look into a new remote as I enjoy the hobby far to much. Great that people are prepared to send out some advice for a pilot in distress!!

Hoping I will be in the air again in 4-5 weeks time. (just got to break the news to the wife now that im spending money again on this addictive hobby)
Make sure she doesn't break the fingers on your other hand!
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in