Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, she came down in one piece…hehe. Alrighty then, first successful flight on 4s under the belt…me so happy. I’m not really trying to push it as it would break my heart if this puppy takes another dirt neap so soon after being re-build. Just went ahead and set my throttle curves to 0-25-50-65-80 for normal mode and a simple v-curve 80-65-50-65-80 for idle up (mode 1) and give 4s ago. Even limiting power I can definitely feel the power and increase torque 4s gives to the motor. No bogging at all…and to be honest I’m a little afraid to increase power over 80% as this 255kv direct drive motor is a absolute MONSTER on 4s. Man, wish I could do more stuff to test it, but my skills limited me to just up right forward and a little backwards flight…plus right now I’m too nervous to push it any harder.

My stretch DD450 Pro weigh in at 1035g and maybe that a little too heavy for hard core 3D, but for sport flying and smooth light 3D I’m thinking it will do just fine. I’m also betting that in the right hands this bird would do some nice aerobatics moves. Maybe one day when my kids are older I’ll have more time to practice on the sim…who knows…I can dream, can’t I. lol

Anywho here’s the video trying out 4s for the first time and a few pictures showing the weight of the DD monster and the batteries.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j97K0KdLfI[/ame]

AUW of my stretch DD450 Pro (with 4s nano-tech)

2200mah Sky Lipo 3s

1800mak nano-tech 4s

Johnny thanks again for making the frames. To me this bird is so awesome…and it’s also a cool feeling knowing I’m one of the few people in the world that has a Direct Drive CP450 Pro hanging on the wall…totally sweet!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2937 (800x600).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	314371   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2932 (800x600).jpg
Views:	392
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	314372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2933 (800x600).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	314373  

Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i always knew this would be killer on 4s! i'll have to get mine going, been spending a lot of time with my gasser and quad, thinking will dump the quad and get my ddfp going
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey HH Nice looking bird man, looks like she's flyin on rails. At least you got some weather to fly, if it aint windy , it's raining and visa versa.Theres no keeping up. Sweet man sweet. ATC what type of quad do you have?

Ice
icecycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
i always knew this would be killer on 4s! i'll have to get mine going, been spending a lot of time with my gasser and quad, thinking will dump the quad and get my ddfp going

Even dialed back, 4s is definitely the ticket. This motor is amazing, the power it makes is off the hizzy. Brother it would be sweet to see your ddfp in action. I loved mine, but had to tear it down to use the DD motor in the cp version. Have an extra motor now so might put the ddfp back together.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecycler View Post
Hey HH Nice looking bird man, looks like she's flyin on rails. At least you got some weather to fly, if it aint windy , it's raining and visa versa.Theres no keeping up. Sweet man sweet. ATC what type of quad do you have?

Ice
Thanks ICE
I’m so stoke and couldn’t be happier with the way she flying. The only thing left on the wish list for this bird is going flybarless. I got two cheap fbl units last Christmas and one of them is definitely going on this puppy.

Hear you on the weather, it’s been sucky around here to. Luckily it clear off enough yesterday to get the test flights in.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnny I've been thinking…how hard do you think it would be to just drill out the DD motor to except the stock 5mm Pro main shaft. I haven’t tried to take the motor apart, but if it wasn’t to hard to remove the top half (casing with the three grub screws that secure the motor to the shaft), couldn’t the 4mm opening be drill out to 5mm. If this could be done, not only would there be no need to turn the main shaft, but it would strengthen the over all setup.

Whatcha think?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@HH oops, meant ddCP got my pro kit just sitting there with a jc500 frame ready to go, just need to get to it
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH instead of drilling out the motor shaft could you sleeve it, one side 4mm and the other 5mm. I don't know how much room you would have to do this. Otherwise I think you would have to put the motor shaft in a lathe to drill it out and keep it true as possible.

Ice
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
@HH oops, meant ddCP got my pro kit just sitting there with a jc500 frame ready to go, just need to get to it
Okay gotcha, ddCP…sweetness!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecycler View Post
HH instead of drilling out the motor shaft could you sleeve it, one side 4mm and the other 5mm. I don't know how much room you would have to do this. Otherwise I think you would have to put the motor shaft in a lathe to drill it out and keep it true as possible.

Ice
Yeah, I guess I’m thinking out loud without having the motor in hand and really looking at it. Without knowing how the two halves of the motor connect together, I was thinking/hoping it would be possible to enlarge the opening of the motor casing that sticks out with the three grub screws only. Don’t know if drilling out 8mm or so deep would affect the hollow motor shaft or not. The DD450 main shaft only goes just a little past the grub screws so I thought it might be doable. I’m going to look at my spare motor tonight and see how the motor is put together.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH Shoot a couple of pictures of your spare motor, maybe we can come up with an idea for you.

Ice
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

ICE
Just got home from work and looking for the motor now. Pictures to come
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

See how the section with the grub screws sticks up past the motor. Just want to enlarge this section to 5mm. going to take the motor apart and see if this section is part of the motor shaft...looks like it is. Will post some more pictures once the motor is apart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2942T (640x480).jpg
Views:	385
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	314582  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep it’s part of the motor shaft…but that’s not a bad thing. Looks to be plenty of meat on the shaft to enlarge it 1mm.

This is as deep as I would have to go to make a stock Pro shaft work.

What do you think, I shouldn't have a problem making a jig for my drill press and getting it done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2944 (640x480).jpg
Views:	393
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	314598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2945 (640x480).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	314599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2946 (640x480).jpg
Views:	386
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	314600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2947 (640x480).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	314601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2948 (640x480).jpg
Views:	389
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	314602  

Old 05-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

heck ya, i'd drill that out there's plenty of room, just got to make sure you're dead on
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH yep that looks like it will be just fine. Just make sure it's straight or it will wobble like weeble. If you want it done on a lathe, let me know, I can turn it around real quick.

Ice
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with both of you, making sure it’s drilled right on the money is a must. It would be a one shot deal, if I screw it up, then I’ll be looking at buying a new motor and that would suck big time. I feel confident I can do it though thanks to a tip Johnny give me awhile back. In conjunction with a drill press vise, I’ll line everything up by starting with the same size bit (4mm) as the inner diameter of the motor shaft. Once anything is lined up and secured I’ll change out the 4mm bit out for a 5mm and get-r-done…Well I hope.

Thanks for the offer Ice, but I thinking I can do it. If not, I’ll let you know. Right now everything is holding up well on the DD450 so I’m not in a hurry to give it a try.

Guys have I told you how much I like this helicopter…it’s freaken awesome!

Last edited by HELIHANKSTER; 05-08-2012 at 04:59 PM..
HELIHANKSTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pretty smart HH. That is the way to go, drilling the motor like that. A lot of meat to drill the shaft a little bit for the grub screws to seat. With you getting yours running and ATC putting his together, I just might have to get the dd 450 cp and dd 450 fp running again.
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
Pretty smart HH. That is the way to go, drilling the motor like that. A lot of meat to drill the shaft a little bit for the grub screws to seat. With you getting yours running and ATC putting his together, I just might have to get the dd 450 cp and dd 450 fp running again.
Definitely going to give if a try when/if I put the ddfp back together. I say if because I really like the cp version so much just might see if I can make a cp head work on the ddfp frame. Have to go back in this thread and check, but I remember you saying the motor location in the fp frame made the main shaft too short to use a cp head. Was it because the flybar would hit the ARB or was it because there wasn’t enough up and down throw in the swash to get a good/full pitch range? If it’s because of the ARB, then it shouldn’t be a problem as I want to stick a flybarless head on it. If it’s a pitch range problem, it could be a little tricky…wondering if the new Align DFC fbl head would solve this issue as I’ve read it has a lower profile than the regular Pro fbl head.

Or option #3…hehe
Buy another ddcp frame from you, buuut…it’s going to cost me as I have an idea in my head, that a TT tail is doable and I would like to give it a go, but would need you to hook a brother up and redesign the existing DD CP Pro frame a little for me…just a little. I know, I know, I just can’t stop tinkering/modding…I really think my hobby isn’t flying rc helicopters, it’s tinkering with them.

It’s would be sweet if you guys got your DD birds up and running. I’ve missed chatting with you guys. I just have to be careful with my hobby addiction or my wife will banned me from helicopters again. lol!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just for $h!ts and giggles, did a quick mock up to see if the TT mod was possible….ummm…maybe.

Do you guy think it's doable?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2951T (640x480).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	315227   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2952T (640x480).jpg
Views:	364
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	315228  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in