Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Goblin Gasser... help needed please

Hi everyone. I was finally able to get my hands on my dream heli... a used Goblin 700 Competition. It has the TRM 300 engine and I believe... a Hatori pipe (haven't recieved it yet). It has top start and pull. I am going to have a ton of questions for you all I'm sure, but i'll start off with where I'm at now. I have to sell my current Helibug trex700 to make this happen. I have a stator gator and a Jewel generator currently on the Helibug and if possible... I would like to transfer them to the Goblin because it doesn't have any governor system on it.

1) Should I transfer the Stator Gator to the Goblin or go another route to add a gov to the Goblin? I have a spare gv-1 of that helps.

2) Can the Jewel be swapped over to the Goblin easily or would it be a pain and costly?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1107122699332028.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	633126  

Hitec Aurora 9x,180cfx, 300x, Goblin Leviathan 700 Competition
Thaiboxer04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default i got to say

1) Should I transfer the Stator Gator to the Goblin or go another route to add a gov to the Goblin? I have a spare gv-1 of that helps.

i got the stator gator on mine and still looking for help on it, i flew it with just ikon before and with proper curves it flies fine......i need it for wookong h for throttle stability,, but i don't really think you need to run a governor on goblin, use Malory throttle setup and it will work for sport.....but as for 3d, i don't know

2) Can the Jewel be swapped over to the Goblin easily or would it be a pain and costly?

as for the jewel. i purchase the mount then realizing i did not have top start and thats around 60 bucks, i decided not to go that route, so i have one if you need it for a fair price.....but you need top start for it to work or it will get $$$$$$ and add a lot of weight ,there are other alternatives to generator, ive been testing on on my gasser trex 600,
IGEN generator on a TREX 600 gasser part 1 (15 min 13 sec)
, but the goblin gas hog can fly on a 2500mah lipo 3 times before a charge, so grab a few and fly, should be fine,

these are just my opinions, and im still learning every day
cruzroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hey Roy

How did you make out with that hillatronics generator?

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Roy. It does currently have top start so I am good there luckily. I fly sport mostly but also some very mild 3d so I would really like to have a governor setup. If I have to use curves for a little... that would be ok, since I could use my dx8 for awhile until I figure this Taranis TX out to get 9 channels for a governor setup.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default hillatronics generator

it keeps a steady current during sport flying.....i can run a weak battery in it, and it will keep bird going, or raise charge rate and it starts to charge well, its nice that it is adjustable, but i recommend setting to what your comfortable with and hot glue the screw to keep it right where you set it...the setting screw seems to move to easy, and not to bad to install, i got one of your jewels for reasonable price, but it was in crash and i took skin off of one board and its bad, i could not get it to work, so money down drain....i kept it, someday to get repaired, so i came across Arthur Garza he is a us seller for hilantronics, so i got one and im happy with it, it looks like helibugs design, the one they said to expensive to produce, i think hilantronics, made it inexpensive .....but i know shouldn't put cheap in a 3000 heli, but it seem good,,,,i dont know how it would handle hard 3d, and new HV servos, but i like it
Old 02-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ok

Sounds good Roy, and if you would like me to repair your Jewel unit let me know, not sure what it needs you could send me a picture to see what the damage is if you like.

-=>Raja.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaiboxer04 View Post
Thanks for the input Roy. It does currently have top start so I am good there luckily. I fly sport mostly but also some very mild 3d so I would really like to have a governor setup. If I have to use curves for a little... that would be ok, since I could use my dx8 for awhile until I figure this Taranis TX out to get 9 channels for a governor setup.
If your going to fly on curves until you get a gov setup, I would strongly suggest setting your throttle linkage up using the Malorie Method. It makes managing gasser throttle curves much easier IMO.

Malorie Method - http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t105349p1/
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should have enough channels for a gov with your DX8, GV1 should work well. I am a proponent of a gov for almost any type of flying. Let the computer do the work to insure you do not over rev the engine and optimize the power so the pilot can concentrate on flying. In addition to throttle, you only need one additional channel "aux 2" for selecting rpm with the TX.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent info everyone!! It is VERY much appreciated! This community here is fantastic.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It arrived...what a beauty!!! Drooling here... never thought I would ever have the chance to own one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160203_084912.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	633430  

Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!

TRM Power
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tom!!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If my used engine checks out ok and looks to be broken in properly... is this the formula of Klotz I can run? It's the one I can find locally at a motorcycle shop. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160204_075246.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	633554  

Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default PEASE!!!!!

check every nut and bolt, look for cracks........looks just like mine.......good looking birds
Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Roy! I was thinking I will remove every screw, clean them and reinstall with loctite just to be 100% safe. I love this bird! Can't wait to get her done!!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suspect there is no reply on your oil question because there are many oil choices out there. Most full synthetics should be fine. Non-syn are great for break in but they are not as good at decreasing long term wear. It does not matter what oil you are using if you run it too lean! Some carbon up quicker, etc. I have run Pennzoil full syn, Motul and RedLine. Upon disassembly, I can't see much of a difference in wear. Motul did spit out more slime on the heli and won as most expensive.

If your heart is set on Klotz, give it a try.

TRM Power
Old 02-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tom! I kind of figured oil type was pretty much the same as the old Ford vs Chevy debate I read about staying away from castor because it can gum the ring up pretty bad. I am pretty set on Klotz personally... so I guess I probably should have asked if I am ok using this R50 formula or if I should get the Super Techniplate formula. .

One more question for Tom or anyone else... I do seem to have a carbon buildup on the top of my piston... is there any benefit to removing the head and gently cleaning some of that carbon off or is it not worth the "risk vs benefit" because of chancing a snapped head bolt etc? Thanks again to anyone following the thread!

Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Penzoil Marine

From all the oils I've tried, I found that the Penzoil Marine makes the least amount of carbon in the engine, hence why I recommend it. I use mine at 32:1, many many hours on the engines and they run good and last quite some time. Last one Hanson looked at for me after 3 years and 1100+ flights (about 350 hrs run time) he said looked quite good inside - you could give him a call and ask about that if you're curious, hear it from him as he looked in it while disassembled not me.

I have not run Klotz, Motul or redline so I can't comment on how well they will do. My SOP is that once I find something that works really well, there isn't a need for me to test other things, just the same idea as in servos.

-=>Raja.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Makes perfect sense to me Raja.. and thanks! To be honest, I'm not all that surprised that a marine oil is working so well. I've done repair and maintenance on outboard boat motors on and off for many years. The extreme conditions alot of those motors endure is pretty harsh so if you used an oil designed to protect one... I don't see why it wouldn't work fantastic in a much smaller and cooler running engine such as our gassers. Alot of boaters I know will only run marine oils in their chainsaws, weed eaters etc because of how well the oils were designed for their boats.

My personal experience with Klotz was great in my dirtbikes etc but i'll be totally honest... my reason for wanting to use it is more a novelty because I miss the scent of the oil. It reminds me of being at the races when younger. I am not at all opposed to letting the idea go of course, if I find reason it won't serve my heli well though!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default i was using klotz,, But!.......

but it leaves residue and makes muffler look black, and i dont even fly hard, so now i use honda oils, i raced as a kid and always worked well, but its all a preference i guess, but yes oils are like talking about politics.....LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in