Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great stuff Scot. Guess I'll be touching bases with you once my Warp arrives!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Tail assembly part 2

Part two of the tail assembly. I am very deliberate when I build a tail assembly. Every part of the pitch slider, grips, links, and pitch lever must operate as a single unit so there is absolutely no binding of any moving part!

The parts for the tail pitch slider are found in bag 14.

I laid out the parts for the tail pitch slider in such a way to show how they go together.

The first thing to do it check the fit of the links on the balls. I do this now so I know in advance of tight points in the tail mechanism.

If necessary, re-size the link. In my case, it went like this: test fit, resize, test fit, resize, test fit, resize, and finally I had the fit I wanted. This is completely normal. The last thing you want is a link that is too loose or a link that is too tight. Right on the money is a link that will move smoothly around the ball with no tight spots and no slop.

Next, test the fit of the links on the tail pitch slider arms. The links should slide smoothly over the assembly.

If they don't slide smoothly, use a small file and lightly file each side of the attaching point. Don't take off too much. It's best to file, test, repeat, just like resizing links. The proper fit is an attachment point that slides freely over the arm but does not move from side to side when you twist the link on the arm.

After filing the links, its time to install them on the pitch slider. There are two pins and varying methods to install them. I used a pair of smooth faced ball link pliers to firmly hold the pin. (Note: Don't use needle nose pliers--the jaws may scar the metal.) I positioned the pin over the hole in the link, then lightly tapped on the pliers. The goal here is to just start the pin.

The pin was started. Luckily, it went into the hole in the pitch slider arm!

There are many ways to finish installing the pin. I chose a small "C" clamp as shown and tightened down on the pin/link until it was fully inserted.

Fully installed links on the pitch slider arms. Note the orientation of the links! This is important for leading edge control!

Because we're after a very smooth tail assembly, I test fit the brash bushing of the tail pitch slider over the tail output shaft. The bushing should rotate and slide freely on the tail output shaft with no side-to-side play.

Next, I did a test assembly of the tail pitch slider to test fit on the tail output shaft. Again, it should slide and rotate freely throughout the entire length of the tail output shaft.

Next, I soaked the brash bushing in alcohol. Not shown, I cleaned the threads of the pitch slider arm, as well.

I like to clean the inside of the bushing... I dip the corner of a paper towel in alcohol then just twist it in. I do this from both sides of the bushing.

Apply thread locker to the side of the pitch slider arms so it cannot wick up into the bearing.

Use a 7mm wrench to tighten the brass bushing in the pitch slider assembly.

Attach the ball, to the pitch slider. Note that the picture shows the screw in crooked. It's the only way I could take a picture and show the screw being attached--I ran out of hands! As with other metal plastic screws, thread the plastic first, then apply CA to the threads. Finally, screw in the ball. Don't over tighten! This part must rotate freely around the bushing!

The completed pitch slider assembly for leading edge control!

Next, slide the completed pitch slider on the tail output shaft. Test for binding. If there is no binding, you're good to go!

Slide the tail hub/grip assembly over the tail output shaft. Line up the hole for the set-screw with the dimple in the tail output shaft--the set screw will actually fit inside the dimple.

Use blue thread locker on the set-screw and do not over tighten. It should be tight, but there is no need to crank down on the set screw--you may bend something!

Attach the links on the pitch slider to the balls on the grips. Note the orientation.

Next, install the pitch lever. Be careful to get thread the screw straight. Thread it separately, then install the complete assembly. Make sure the small spacer is installed between the mount and the pitch lever as shown above. Test the assembly for smooth action. It should be very smooth with no binding throughout. If you've had a free assembly up to this point, but do not have smooth motion throughout the pitch range, you may have to do as I did: I re-sized the cup for the ball. My tail assembly is now butter smooth. At the outside extreme, you will notice a small rotation of the pitch slider ball, this is normal.

The completed tail assembly (minus blades) with leading edge control!

Next up, we're going to start in on the frame parts!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 14.jpg
Views:	4283
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	370785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 14 contents.jpg
Views:	4286
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	370786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test fit the links.jpg
Views:	4252
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	370787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize the links.jpg
Views:	4229
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	370788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test fit links on pitch slider base.jpg
Views:	4247
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	370789  

Name:	File lightly if necessary.jpg
Views:	4195
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	370790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hold the wrist pin tightly in smooth faced pliers.jpg
Views:	4177
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	370791   Click image for larger version

Name:	The pin has been started.jpg
Views:	4254
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	370792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small C clamp to fully insert the pin.jpg
Views:	4201
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	370796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test fit pitch slider bushing.jpg
Views:	4183
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	370798  

Name:	Test fit of entire pitch slider assembly.jpg
Views:	4146
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	370799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean bushing with alcohol.jpg
Views:	4085
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	370800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apply thread locker to the threads only side of the pitch slider.jpg
Views:	4166
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	370801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Use a 7mm open end wrench to tighten the brass bushing.jpg
Views:	4139
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	370802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach ball to pitch slider.jpg
Views:	4117
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	370803  

Name:	Slide completed assembly on the tail output shaft.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	370804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Line up the hub with the indentation in the output shaft.jpg
Views:	4144
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	370805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Use thread locker then tighten the set screw.jpg
Views:	4139
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	370806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach the pitch slider links to the grip balls.jpg
Views:	4032
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	370807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed tail assembly.jpg
Views:	3885
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	370809  

Name:	Links attached to pitch slider base.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	370813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Link orientation.jpg
Views:	3826
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	371117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning bushing.jpg
Views:	3849
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	371118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed pitch slider.jpg
Views:	3883
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	371119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitch slider on tail output shaft.jpg
Views:	3908
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	371120  

Name:	Corrected tail.jpg
Views:	3780
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	372065  

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

Last edited by dunkonu23; 12-07-2012 at 07:18 PM..
dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maan, you are tedious (take it as a compliment)

You can build my helis any day

Im gonna start using isopropanol now instead of acetone, its not optimal for indoor use, so Ive been rinsing parts outside.. thanks for tips
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL! Thanks! Being "tedious" is something I'm good at. LOL!

You're very welcome!

Scott

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those are some darn fine pictures…

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
LOL! Thanks! Being "tedious" is something I'm good at. LOL!

You're very welcome!

Scott
Im variable, like adhd child labour.. I can be tedious, but sometimes, Ill put a 450/500 from partsbags into a flyable heli in 30-45 minutes and go fly... quality will suffer then, but its no problem, I usually dirt nap them before something fatigues. I tend not to respect the small guys, hope the warp give some back.

Our -15c here now and was -22 celsius + winds on saturday, make me like skiiing, more than helis right now, maybe maiden for warp this weekend, maybe next...

Looking forward to the followups and maiden.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob O has found a problem in my tail build. The way I built it shows trailing edge control instead of leading edge control. I will fix the tail tomorrow and post updated pictures.

Thanks, Bob!

I shouldn't build when I'm under the weather. My apologies, folks.

Scott

Last edited by dunkonu23; 12-04-2012 at 05:18 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would think the operative word here is, "meticulous".

Scott - how did you resize the ball cup for the slider? This was challenging for me on the 7HV V2 tail mechanism. I wound up using a drill bit to ream it. What worked here?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #49 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm interested in that too, Rob.

I went through roll pin hell earlier this evening. Though I did manage to get it installed without breaking or bending anything.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
How did you resize the ball cup for the slider? What worked here?
I simply used my JR ball link sizing tool and kept turning it while pushing it in and out until the ball was able to move freely inside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I went through roll pin hell earlier this evening.
I'm not sure why everyone has such a challenge with these roll pins? It's getting them out that's more of the challenge, but even then, with the right tool(s) it's easy.

All I did was squeeze one end with a pair of pliers to compress the end enough to get it started in the hole. After that, I just kept whacking it with a set of side-cutters until it was flush (a small finishing hammer might be a little more ideal) with a towel under the whole works. It took me maybe 5 minutes tops.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

To resize the cup, like Jeff, I just used my JR ball link sizer. I did it exactly as Jeff described.

Roll pins? Just like I put in the pictures. I did it slowly. I just did the same thing when I corrected the link orientation--I'll post pictures tomorrow. It is now leading edge control.

To take out the roll pins I took an old Align 1.5mm hex driver, put the pitch slider link on a block of soft wood, then just tapped out the roll pin.

Scott

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 1/16" drift punch useful for removal. I have used my arbor press to install them. With the tail shaft, I have a wooden v-block for this. I gripped the pin in needle nose Vise grips, and held it in position as I gently pushed it in with my press.

I have found that making a small chamfer on the tip of the roll pin helps with starting it. Use a rotary tool with flapper wheel on the end for that. I spent about 5 mins prep, and then pushed it in.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersn View Post
Im gonna start using isopropanol now instead of acetone, its not optimal for indoor use, so Ive been rinsing parts outside.. thanks for tips
As far as I know they're not much different to each other so don't breath too much. Otherwise you'll also end up with a trailing edge controlled tail!

Jokes apart, Scott, amazing doc work! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The roll pin tr hub is simply a pain in ass period. IMO a metal hub, threaded all way through where the hole is existing on the plastric one, threaded to 3mm, then two 3mmx4mm setscrews each side done, zero hassle that way. The roll pin is good for handguns, not really a friendly idea for helis, that is one part in the build so far where I said "WTF" was whoever designed this thinking... seriously

Anyhow I always buy and try for how it flies, all else has not went to bad, cracked links like everyone else but \i had some spare links on hand from another project so that didn't hold up much..
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #55 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Scott,

The pins in the tail pitch arms aren't roll pins per se. They will be a lot easier to work with. The roll pin in my kit was a super tight fit to the hole. Pliers wouldn't budge it, and besides I didn't want to mess up the pulley. And I don't have a vice. So I rigged up something and had to hit it with a full sized hammer pretty hard, nearly as hard a freakin' nail. After it was flush with the pulley I lined up a drift punch and had my father in-law whack it to get it evenly recessed with the other side. It was the first time in all my heli builds where I needed help from another person.

If I recall, the 6HV used a roll pin to hold the tail pulley. It was nowhere near the hassle as this one. In either case, it's done and I can proceed with the build.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
If I recall, the 6HV used a roll pin to hold the tail pulley.
Yup, the Atom 500 as well ...
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might want something like one of these:

LINK

Cannot imagine not having a vice. In my case, I have a bench vise which is bolted to a work bench. However, this has a much better design with swivel. Would be ideal for many such details.

I've also found my 1/2 ton arbor press indespensible for pushing bearings in/out, removing shafts, etc. Like this: LINK You get superior control with a press. No impact damage, or missing the punch with a hammer, etc. Less frustration involved.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #58 (permalink)

Next pulley I buy I'm going to drill the shaft hole out a tiny amount, my digital caliper says that there the same size so no wonder there hard to install.Hammers and heli's really shouldn't be nessessary!When will the pulleys be instock?
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully soon. I split my pulley when the punch went in a bit further than required. (Guess I should have used a smaller hammer)
GRR45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
You might want something like one of these:

LINK

Cannot imagine not having a vice. In my case, I have a bench vise which is bolted to a work bench. However, this has a much better design with swivel. Would be ideal for many such details.

I've also found my 1/2 ton arbor press indespensible for pushing bearings in/out, removing shafts, etc. Like this: LINK You get superior control with a press. No impact damage, or missing the punch with a hammer, etc. Less frustration involved.
Thx for that Rob got a harbor freight couple miles from here I think I shall procure one of those…

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in