Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this KDS DFC Head?

COuld anyone help identify this head?
Looks like some sort of KDS headblock with DFC?
I found the picture on rcthai.net and it is Lee Jaehong's helicopter.
I'd love to know what it is and where to get it from before I go and buy an align one instead!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDS DFC.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	310091  

Last edited by rebeltrousers; 04-23-2012 at 02:18 AM..
rebeltrousers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltrousers View Post
COuld anyone help identify this head?
Looks like some sort of KDS headlock with DFC?
I found the picture on rcthai.net and it is Lee Jaehong's helicopter.
I'd love to know what it is and where to get it from before I go and buy an align one instead!!
The last I heard is that it's not yet generally available.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hope it's not. Even the align ones are having fatigue failures on the solid links. Hopefully they either come out with brass dampeners or make a more flexible fatigue resistent link like the compass head.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is a brass dampener?
From what I've read it seems to be mostly people fearing that something might fail, and then comparing the compass head with the align head.....then it just turns into coke vs pepsi and all reason goes out the window haha.

I understand the principles of why people are worried about failure though, so don't get me wrong!

If you have any links (websites lol) I can check please post, I don't want to buy one if it's proven to be a worry!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Basically with both links hooked to the swash, it prevents the swash from pivoting. So when you get a load on the blades, it will transfer that load to the head via the dampeners. No dampener is a full rigid setup with rubber bushings. ( I know that there are designs that actually have no dampeners in them ) so, when that load puts more pressure on one side of the head (ex. a single direction roll) it can put a bind on the links themselves.

If there is no "give" or flexibility to the links it will transfer that load now down to the swash, which will in turn either break, loosen, or damage the swash plate, or worst case scenario it will actually break the aluminum link itself.

I think the compass is a much better design, but I am a compass fan, and they basically came out with that style of head, or at least made it much more popular.

With a brass dampener, essentially you would turn the head into a rigid mount head, and eliminate the possibility of loading the links when the dampeners flex to absorb the blade loading and unloading.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XAPvYUXq4[/ame]

This video shows an over exaggerated case so it's easy to visualize
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Found it!
Available from rc711 with new kits only. Haven't seen it by itself yet:
http://www.rc711.com/shop/kds-innova...?cPath=165_298
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDSDFC.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	317595   Click image for larger version

Name:	imagemagic.php.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	317596  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS DFC Head

Ok well the KDS DFC head is not going to be available for another month...they are not accepting orders ofr a month due to re-construction of the head...I am lead to beleave there were some issues with construction.

There are a whole bunch of DFC parts available as well after this time.

I have a full price list of all the DFC parts from a wholesaler in Hongkong..

the EU want to sell them at high prices..around 100Euros( as found on an italian hobby site ) ...hongkong will list parts cheaper hopefully.

Parts available include the control links..new designed counter rotation pully and main shafts and new rev 2 tail rotor design...

All the parts by all accounts are pretty cheap...I have seen estimated prices but am told not to disclose as they are not necessarily set in stone...these rely on things out of teh wholesalers control obviously.

I will keep an eye on it and as soon as they have a release date I will let you all know..

I have imported a bunch of KDS kits and parts in teh past...If I get a couple of these heads and see how they go I might bring in a heap of them..there have been issues with teh bearing housing tolerences on teh previous KDS heads..

Anyway as soon as teh parts are listed on the website in Hlk thats when theyl be available...pats can take up to ten days to order before post because they manufacture to order based on min quantity orders...

Sites listing teh head for sale...i can almost guarantee do not have them in stock...unless they had a pre-release production run..

hope this helps :-)

Last edited by Madryan; 06-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: ....
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spackermen View Post
Basically with both links hooked to the swash, it prevents the swash from pivoting. So when you get a load on the blades, it will transfer that load to the head via the dampeners. No dampener is a full rigid setup with rubber bushings. ( I know that there are designs that actually have no dampeners in them ) so, when that load puts more pressure on one side of the head (ex. a single direction roll) it can put a bind on the links themselves.

If there is no "give" or flexibility to the links it will transfer that load now down to the swash, which will in turn either break, loosen, or damage the swash plate, or worst case scenario it will actually break the aluminum link itself.

I think the compass is a much better design, but I am a compass fan, and they basically came out with that style of head, or at least made it much more popular.

With a brass dampener, essentially you would turn the head into a rigid mount head, and eliminate the possibility of loading the links when the dampeners flex to absorb the blade loading and unloading.

This video shows an over exaggerated case so it's easy to visualize
I saw your Vid on this a wile back....i was hesitant to buy teh Align DFC head...but I realised teh only thing that broke is teh bolts hoklding them in..they revised teh links as you may well knwo by now...and not a person i know has broken one ..yet....I have been super happy with teh DFC rev 2 head on my trex700...but yes effectively a rigid head... fells awesome...how'd you find flying it anyway ?

Pretty hard on head dampers I imagine..but i dont fly hard enough to worry about teh issues of the Rev 1 even..

Anyway all good... i will get a coupel of thos KDS heads in and see what theyre like too... cheap alternative...I have a lot of KDS heads and parts..theyre ok... for teh price.
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in