Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stratus and OS SZ / YS91 Instead?? - **The Result!**

Guys,

Can a Stratus work with a Pumped SZ? I seem to be having a lot of vibration issues - indicated by a foaming tank (once again) which I'm putting down to 'engine alignment'. I've wasted gallon after gallon trying to get it right.

I'm also suspecting that either the pump or regulator are not functioning properly now on engine settings that were fine a few weeks back.

Could anyone lay out the symptoms and how to fix either a pump or regulator that is not performing 100% please.

There seems to be a lot of fuel all around the main base plate and it's very hard to tell where exactly it coming from, but I think it's more than just fuel spitting out of the carb. In addition, I've richened up my settings (half a turn) but the engine seems to be displaying signs of lean running.

In one climb out to do an Auto the engine faulted enough that I thought it wouldn't just be a practice Auto. Once safely on the ground, I packed up for the day.

Any help as always would be gratefully received.

PS How reliable are the Pumped SZ's? I'd consider selling this engine and replacing it with a YS91 if they are smoother running engines.

(PPS At 1800 - 1850 headspeed, the tail seems to kick and there's almost a metallic morse code type noise (sounds like gearing/clutch/fan). The fan is dialed to 1/2 a thou by the way and the clutch gap 0.030. Any ideas?)

2 x Synergy N9's, Mini Titan 3D.
Aviation addict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are people experimenting with this motor/chopper combo, and for the moment the consensus is that the crankshaft is improperly balanced for the stratus.
Not saying the crank is so far out that other machines are having trouble, but it appears the stratus mounting method and the SZ are incompatable.
FWIW: fuel foaming introduces air to the fuel, and causes a lean-out.
Models that have a conventional mounting block are not seeing these issues to this extreme.
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hang on is this now official I have just bought a stock SZH which I am having clined by OMI should I not bother ?

I thought there were a lot of people running the SZH without any problems?

z
Zilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne.

Can I ask how many Stratus owners have tried SZ's and how many have YS91's? Does the YS91 really run smoother than the SZ?

I've had nothing but trouble with 'my' SZ, but have been putting it down to something I've done wrong. If on the other hand I'm up against it and unlikely to ever get a smooth running heli I may as well stop wasting fuel and make the change to YS.

Should the Stratus only be fitted with a YS or say C-Spec?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

call it 'back channel' information.
Many are choosing to hold on to the old C-Spec's.
My personal preference is YS because I HATE tuning. SZ's with OMI upfits still are running inconsistant, the opinion is foaming issues.
If someone were to implement a different mounting method to the SZ in a Stratus, we could define further what's going on. (hint, hint)
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aviation addict:

Yes, the YS 91 is a MUCH smoother, consistent running motor than the OS SZ - always have to be touching needles on the SZ. The SZ does produce WAY more power though.

- R
bob00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the power difference between the SZ and YS that noticeable?

I've been looking (just out of interest - at the moment) at the YS91 ST4. Could anyone tell me how the power output compares with the SZ and at what RPM this max power occurs.

Would I have to change my 8:18 ratio?

Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

The YS would probably work with 8.18 gearing if you ran a little higher headspeed to put the engine in its RPM range. The 8.45 is usually best for the YS 91 engine... it allows it to recover faster because the gearing is steeper.
ChrisLaFollette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've read about this problem a lot but still can't understand i have 2 stratus a fury tempest and a fury extream all have the OS 91 szh except for the extream NONE of the heli's vibrate the extream has a ys91 in it and may be a little smoother but just a little i don't know your building skills but everyone of the vibe problems i've fixed in other X-Cells for people has been either fan bal, runout, or alignment. O 1 of them had a bad auto hub the bearing had very small pits in it it was'nt oiled properly
Jaguar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is not good news for me. I just pulled out my YS, and replaced it with SZ w/cline in my stratus.
Rada70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada70
This is not good news for me. I just pulled out my YS, and replaced it with SZ w/cline in my stratus.
From what I've heard the Cline setup cures the OS problems and that's ALL the OS 91 current engine models
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

check your regulator . ( see leaking ) i have 2 os 91 szh ps..
they all leaking .
just now replace the whole thing ..
with carb and reg ... now working ok
goitoibayvoi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i don't know your building skills
I balanced the fan on a high point balancer / dialed the fan onto the engine to 1/2 thou / balanced the T/R assembly and followed the manual exactly. Through faffing with the engine alignment I have managed to get the tank to stop foaming vigerously (in the past) and reduce to a light foam but I've not yet seen my heli fly as well as friends of mine Fury Experts. Do your Strati with SZ's do any foaming at high headspeeds?

Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If my Regulator is leaking - can I just replace the reg or its internal parts (rather than the whole Carb? I haven't dare take it apart - so don't know whats in there.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Mine produced so much foam in the new tank I installed. However, when I increased the thikness of the double sided tape, it reduced the foaming.
Rada70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I have Stratus' with YS, C-Spec/OMI, and one with the OS SZ/OMI. The YS Stratus and the C-Spec OMI Stratus are the ones I fly the most because even though the OMI is on the SZ it still needs tweaking when I go to fly it. I hate that. For me, the power difference isn't worth the trade off for ease of use. No, the YS doesn't have the pop that the OS has, but I can't fly like the top pilots in the world so I don't notice it nearly as much as they would. If you're trying really hard loading 3D a foot off the deck, then you need that extra pop of the OS to help recover the heli. While I fly low, I don't fly that low so I don't notice it.
Gary O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

No I have no fomming in the tank when mine are idleing you can put your hand on the head and barely tell their running when i built my first one i had a lot of problems with vibes and tail twitches i worked with it a lot and got them all out that is why i said fan balance, runout, and alignment are very importent my problem happend to be alignment so what i now do is after it's all built and ready for 1st hover i loosen the 4 screws on the slide mount start the engine bring the motor to a high idle to seat the ball and cluch driver shut it off and tighten the screws in an x pattern then i remove them 1 at a time to loctite them i've now built 4 stratus using this method and it seems to work well the gap is .020 all the way around but it is true that the ys is a little smoother i run my stratus at 1920 by the way
Jaguar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it worth buying the OMI Viperhead for the YS, as I'd be looking for ultra smooth running (if I decide to go that route)? I've read that while the Viperhead does not really make much difference to the SZ, it seems to further smooth and give more power to the YS.

Got the heli in bits AGAIN (all I ever seem to do) having another inspection of everything. Haven't spotted anything wrong though. Run out still just over 1/2 thou.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

YS91, Hatory 937
I have just installed the new Stratus tank.
Before I had slight fuel movement but not foaming. As the engine has had just 7-8 tanks through it at a very rich setting, my guess was that it was caused due to the engine not being run in yet.
But since carefull installation of the new tank, the fuel is now dead calm.
I have to guess the rpm but used both normal and idle up.
Best guess was the range to be around 1650-1800rpm.
Alfred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the correct headspeed to put the YS in its powerband with the 8:45 ratio?

Would an SB18 work well, and fit the YS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in