Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano in the snow?

Has anyone dumped their nano into deep powder yet? I've been tempted to take it out a few times but I've got 2 feet of powder here! I haven't gotten to really open it up in a large space yet so I'm worried I'll push it a bit too far and lose it in the snow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha. Im having a hard time waiting for spring as well. I don't think its worth it though, so I'm waiting patiently and just keep practicing inside. If the electronics got wet that would be bad. I think its good learning to fly 'in a box' as it were. Ive been getting good at bail outs and saving it from hitting walls and other objects in the house.
Also from what I've learned the cold is not good for our batteries.

But yeah, I can hardly wait for the nice warm weather to show up
Andy-B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've lost track of how many times I've crashed my cp x into the snow, sometimes so deep I have trouble finding it. The worst that's happened so far is one of the servos will stop responding until it dries out.
Frankenstein is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally would fly it in the snow! But I would be more worried about losing it in deep powder after a crash than the electronics frying. I'm flown mine into the tub a couple times and after pulling the battery and letting everything dry really well, it has been fine.

Having said that, it's common knowledge that electronics and water don't mix… your call
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

180 CFX, Nano Cpx, Mcpx v2, Mcpx BL, 300X W/ Savox Servos and Don's Wicked, Trex 450L Dominator W/Skookum 720BE and GPS, DX9, (Retired Schluter Scout 60 and Junior 50)
whatevva is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go for it. I flew mine in the snow a few days ago. video: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=268

Don't worry too much about getting the electronics/battery wet. Basically, once you get it wet, just unplug it and let it dry for a day. Everything will basically be fine. I've dipped mine in water, dirty water, & snow a few times. Let it dry and everything works fine. Just don't let it get in the yellow snow, or salt-water. Apparently, those are the bad versions
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crash into powder and you will find her by the end of April at the latest
Once it's gone, it's gone! Under snow you can't even hear the servo fiddle

-רחל is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevva View Post
That's hilarious...I'm guessing inverted flight might be a challenge
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alright, it's only about -5C today so I may give it a shot. worst case scenario I bust out the shovel and go digging for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131 View Post
Go for it. I flew mine in the snow a few days ago. video: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=268

Don't worry too much about getting the electronics/battery wet. Basically, once you get it wet, just unplug it and let it dry for a day. Everything will basically be fine. I've dipped mine in water, dirty water, & snow a few times. Let it dry and everything works fine. Just don't let it get in the yellow snow, or salt-water. Apparently, those are the bad versions
Hey guapo, what temperature were you flying in? Any weird gyro or servo issues?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevva View Post
Hahaha! Heli condom.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had mixed results with helis in the snow. A couple winters ago I flew a 120sr in the snow and on its first landing in the snow one of the servos started smoking and never worked again. But, I also had an MSRX hit the lvc and land in a mop bucket full of water. I dried it offf for a couple days and it worked perfect. Let us know how it goes.
strokerace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dunked one of my first nano 100% in a sink "full" of water. It was completely submerged for about 10 seconds until I could run over and pull it out of the sink. I disassembled it, threw it in some rice and let it sit over night. The next day I ran a heat gun across it a few times to dry it out some more and put it back together. It flew just fine.

I also have had another one of my ncpx's hit the snow and it tends to make the 3 in 1 act weird but no long term damage. I'd say if you do end up full of snow, unplug everything and dry it off before trying to fly again or else you might have issues.
gerdawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano in the snow?

Hey peeps...I know there are tons of threads and YouTube vids on what people have there nano settings on but just curious what everyone likes the best. I just got my first computer tx so I'm adjusting everything to my liking and it's almost there. Just want something to compare to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TrAuMaChAsER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fished a heli out of the deep end of the pool once. I let it dry overnight and it worked. Probably not a good idea though!
ToddMcF2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, mine ended up in my buddy's Koi pond before. I just pulled the battery quick and let it dry out, still using it.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew mine a couple of weeks ago and was working hard on inverted. I dump it in the snow so may times head first that I lost count. Never powered it in though. Just kept blowing the snow off.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flying in cold

I fly regularly in -20 to -40 Celsius I do find after 3 minutes or so in anything colder then -25 the servo start to twitch hard. Both with ncpx and mcpx bl
brownie1960 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
Alright, it's only about -5C today so I may give it a shot. worst case scenario I bust out the shovel and go digging for it!

Hey guapo, what temperature were you flying in? Any weird gyro or servo issues?
It was probably in the mid-low 20's degF. FYI, i also had a tip-over on one of my landings into the snow. Against my own advice, i simply blew off the snow and kept flying. No problems. No servo/gyro issues.

And as long as people are telling stories about their Nano's going for a "dip"... one time i accidentally flew my Nano DIRECTLY into a sewer/gutter drain in the corner of a parking lot. It was amazing that it didn't hit the ground or the sewer lip on it's way into the rain drain. I thought for sure it was lost. I went to get some tools to lift the manhole cover, then climbed in there to find the nano. It was fully underwater (4" of nasty water too) for about 5 minutes (the time it took for me to get to it) - and the nano was still "on" too. I just unplugged it and let it dry for a day. It worked fine. The Nano simply rocks
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings

Last edited by Guapo131; 02-16-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Nano in the snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131 View Post
It was probably in the mid-low 20's degF. FYI, i also had a tip-over on one of my landings into the snow. Against my own advice, i simply blew off the snow and kept flying. No problems. No servo/gyro issues.

And as long as people are telling stories about their Nano's going for a "dip"... one time i accidentally flew my Nano DIRECTLY into a sewer/gutter drain in the corner of a parking lot. It was amazing that it didn't hit the ground or the sewer lip on it's way into the rain drain. I thought for sure it was lost. I went inside and got some tools to lift the manhole cover, then climbed in there to find the nano. It was fully underwater (4" of nasty water too) for about 5 minutes (the time it took for me to get to it) - and the nano was still "on" too. I just unplugged it and let it dry for a day. It worked fine. The Nano simply rocks
Lol....dedication at its best.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
TrAuMaChAsER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I live in Colorado, I've crashed in the snow deep enough to pack snow under the canopy. I can't say it was without problems as each time I had to manually free up a stuck servo afterwards. Probably not the best idea, but it will survive.
el1lobo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in