Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Likely Parts to Break on the FP-250?

Yeah, I know..
Not about the Bee... but it will have the bee's head on it though!

Anyways, friend and I were debating between the HK-T250 or the HK-250GT

Primarily, the T version is the exact clone of the TRex 250, so parts support would "bee" easy to come by, while the GT would be cheaper, plus most of the parts are already aluminum..

So he asked, what parts would you probably break in a crash, that you'd need either aluminum, or parts support?

My guess would be the shaft.. And that's it probably? and then the tail?

Since it'll have the FP head.

So.. T version (clone) or the GT?
rawfuls is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if HobbyKing is offering the HK-T250 anymore, I haven’t seen it in stock for along time and it seems HK has also stop supporting parts for it. I would go with the 250GT once it’s back in stock…more bang for the buck.

The FP250 is light and fairs well in most crashes, I have two and so far the Xtreme main shaft, landing gear and boom are the only things that really get beat up in a crash.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweet, sounds good.

That GT250 has been OOS for a while now.. hope they aren't discontinuing!

Where are you getting your spare parts for the crashes btw?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The HKGT250 is a big seller for them and it sells out as soon as it comes back in stock. Most people buy several for spare parts.

Deff get ALIGN feather / main shafts for the Hk250 and trash the belt ASAP for a Maveric brand kevlar or you will crash on your first couple flights when the stock belt breaks.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the most part I use 250GT parts to replace crash damage on my FP250s, but if the part I need isn’t in stock at HK I will go with the Align 250 part if it’s compatible.

I really liked and thought the HK T250 was a decent kit to convert to fixed pitch and at $29.99 you really couldn’t beat it. For an FP conversion you really didn’t need the metal head that came with the 250GT so why spend the extra money. That’s what has me so puzzled…It’s still in the box, but I bought a 250GT kit over a year ago and I thought I paid forty something dollars for it. Now it’s listed at $19.99…that’s crazy cheap! VL am I going nuts, how much did you pay for your 250GT kit?

As VL said the HK-250GT is a super popular kit and sells out quick, so I think we don’t have to worry about HK not restocking parts or dropping the line. If they do, someone needs to kick them in the head for being stupid.

Whoops! Forgot about the belt
If you or your friend decides to get a 250…Definitely take VLs advice!
Get the Kevlar Belt
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought mine about 6 months ago and I paid $29 for it. I thought that was an awesome price but holy cow $19!

The HK250GT has 3 flaws, the belt which we mentioned and the shafts which people report are super weak, wonkey and the feathering has been reported on several occasions to strip out during flight! (threads cut too small and too soft)
The tail shaft gear is simply pressed on and will slip. I personally experienced this after about 6 flights. Replace with Align tail shaft but youll need a couple micro washers to expand the tail box distance or it will bind when tightened. A quick file of the shafts end with a dremel works the same. (belt,main,FS are plug & play with Align)

So the BELT and all 3 SHAFTS go directly in the trash for Align replacements (or Maveric kevlar belt) then the HK250GT is ready to rock.

I run KBDD tail blades not because theres anything wrong with stock but because KBDDs look really cool in flight and have amazing authority without tail wag.

I FLY WITH THE HK CANOPY AND USE THE TACON WHEN ITS IN THE HANGER.

Last edited by Viet-Lama; 05-04-2011 at 01:25 AM..
Viet-Lama is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet bird brotha, how stable is it compared to a HBVP?
Birdkiller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its not as stable as my Bee. The bee will hands free hover for at least 20 seconds no problem, sometimes 25. The 250 needs a lilttle constant attention or it will start to drift. Ill tell you what, its fast and super agile. Remember, stability is a trade off for agility.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

One of my main reasons of converting the 250 into a FP was the tail, and because it's belt driven.

How well does it hold? I'd have to assume it holds very well compared to the HB?

Also, what power setups is everybody using?

I really want to go BL, but want to stay cheap doing so!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I guess I’m going nuts…I would have sworn the GT kit was more than the Plastic T250 kit when I bought my GT kit. O-Well that was along time ago and all that matter is the GT kit is now $19.00…Yeah Baby!

Your Bird is looking nice VL and thanks for the tips on the GT. After I rebuild one of my CP3s I think it will be time to finally build my 250GT. Yep it’s about time for me to move forward and give cp helicopters another go and I think the 250 will be a perfect inverted trainer. Well I hoping the rebuilt CP3 with a decent gyro and DDVP tail will finally make the Cp3 happy upside down.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
One of my main reasons of converting the 250 into a FP was the tail, and because it's belt driven.

How well does it hold? I'd have to assume it holds very well compared to the HB?

Also, what power setups is everybody using?

I really want to go BL, but want to stay cheap doing so!

The 250 is notorious for have a tail wag…Most people will say it’s much harder to setup the tail on the 250 than it is on an larger helicopters. There are threads and mods that go on and on trying to get the wag out, so if you get one be prepared to have to play around a little to get the tail right.

With that said, once the tail is locked in on the 250 the difference is night and day. With a decent gyro and servo combination the variable pitch tail on the 250 will blow away any DD setup out there…say bye bye to blow outs and say hello to having full control over the tail at all times…Yeah Baby!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh shucks, I was expecting a rock solid tail! heh

What gyro are you currently using, and servo?

I was thinking of going with the HK MEMS until you said "Decent"...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never had a wag in my 250. The tail is as rock solid as my 450s.
The main 4 things that prevented this are
#1 good gyro - tail servo (i run Logictech 2100T servo combo)
#2 CF pushrod (built my own)
#3 Lots of tail servo resolution (i run 8mm from horn center to hole. some people run 6 or 7mm)
#4 No binding in the tail (pitch slider must run easy and smooth)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Went to order a HK 250 kit today. Niether of them are in stock at the moment. Considering the EXI 250. It's about $50.00 more but the quality appears better and the tail rotor appears to be a bit more robust. Anyone out there familiar with this bird? I put in an e-mail request with Hobby King to pm me once back in stock. . $40.00 is a big deal, I could order 2 and have 20 bucks left over! Seems worth the wait.

Opinions anyone?
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Chris, I have heard that the EXI 250 and the HK250GT are both made by SKYA and sold to Xheli & HK as re-badges. I have purchased a few EXI spares and they are identicle to HK in every way except color so its very possible.

Heres the SKYA 250 and bee sure to check out the 250 spares on pages 5-6-7-8

http://www.himodel.com/helicopters/S...opter_Kit.html
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are they all much more expensive?

$70 for an airframe, especially one that I'm going to be converting into a FP....

$20 was so perfect for my current budget plan! Ahh
Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

After looking at the two, I was kinda coming to the same conclustion. I will wait for the HK. to get back in stock.

I love the 450, but I need a small heli for the front yard. I had a Blade120 sr but it was'nt even a close replacment for the old Bee. Sold it! I just don't feel the need for a Blade MCP-X for $179.00 bind & fly when I could build a good 250 for less!.

I already have an orange Spectrum clone reciever, 3 HXT servos ready to go. Just need a motor, esc and gyro setup and I'm ready to go.

Thanks.
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in