Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How many dable with the Dark Side

I first had a go on the dark side (RC Planes) when I was bored on the sim and gave a plane a go. I found it very easy after helis and all the controls matched up and it was fun. That was a year ago and I havent bothered since.

Then a month back a mate brought a Spitfire to our private flying field and after flying helis for a few hours he started flinging the spitfire about and I mean flinging - this guy started with planes as a youngen and competed with them, after doing a death spiral from 200 feet pulling out and at 100 feet he then gave it full throttle for a 100KPM+ flyby. Man it looked and sounded great. So I thought I must drag out the plane I have unbuilt in its box in the attic.

So two weeks back I took out my newly built trainer, and I could fly it very well straight off, first flight just doing big lazy figure 8's and flyby's. Conditions couldn't have been better, so I decided to take out the little Ultra Micro Mustang that I bought on a whim the day before, what could go wrong it is like an MCPX and a crash shouldnt hurt too much if you kill the throttle. So I gave it a chuck with full throttle and for the next five minutes I had a ball with this little thing, you can fly it past real close (it couldnt hurt you if it hit you in the head) and it was very responsive just like an MCPX with wings.

So if you want a change of pace I can tell you that the dark side is a bit of fun and the heli training really translates across.

So come on, how many have strayed to the dark side and enjoyed it?

Here is video of the Mustang flight. So this was about my 6th plane flight of the day and my 6th ever! I found the planes with ailerons (+El and Rud) more comfortable to fly with. My trainer had just El and Rud.

http://youtu.be/H0NdHtE2xgQ

Dont be afraid of the dark, its fun out there!

BTW Regarding the story about my losing control of the Gaui X5 (discussed in the vid)at first I thought it was one of those loss of signal by the DX8 situations that I had heard about and then I thought it might have been a glitching servo, but all servos were fine so it may well have been the DX8. This is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me ($150 in repairs).

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes... I've been flying planks for the last month or so. Got a Radian Pro and a Twisted Hobbys Edge Foamy. Great fun, and relaxing. I fly them at a school field while my son is at Kumon (extracurricular math and reading) twice per week. I'm thinking of getting a 47" Extra 330 SHP from 3DHS next. They seem real easy to pick up after learning on the heli's.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a few plankes. They are easier to fly then helis, but I dont enjoy them as much. I am still in the middle of building a Miss America P-51 Mustange. Very nice kit, but cant think of the name brand, at least a few years old.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a bunch of the Park Zone Micro BNF stuff

It all started with the UM T-28, Then a Su-26, then a Beast 3D, and now I pretty much only fly the SBACH 243
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dable with myself all the time .
Darkside41 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Healthy I understand!

I'm Out! *

( * As per Kramer in that episode)

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside41 View Post
I dable with myself all the time .
Lol
Drivinfast247 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm itching to bite the bullet on this after having the blue angels in town last weekend LOL.

http://www.bananahobby.com/2332.html

I'd want to fit it witha Spektrum RX and bind it to the DX6i though and I have no idea on several plank issues

1) Will I be able to come close to flying this guy?
2)How durable is it gonna be and how available are parts?
3) can I even fit it with a DX6i compatible reciever?

They say their receivers use Spectrum technology but wont bind with Spektrum TX's... I don't get it.

I saw a jet foamie a while back on a youtube video before I got into helis and really wanted to try and find that specific model as it was AWESOME. FAST, and durable! But I had no luck and found this guy in the process.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hmmmmmm, if you havent flown a plane before I think you might need the skills of Bert Kammerer to fly that straight off!

I'd get the UM Mustang or something a bit more tame, those jets are +100KPH things that fairly rocket, as a first plane I'll go out on a limb here and say; No, it would end in an explosion of blue and yellow foam!

I like your confidence though!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
I'm itching to bite the bullet on this after having the blue angels in town last weekend LOL.

I'd want to fit it witha Spektrum RX and bind it to the DX6i though and I have no idea on several plank issues

They say their receivers use Spectrum technology but wont bind with Spektrum TX's... I don't get it.

I saw a jet foamie a while back on a youtube video before I got into helis and really wanted to try and find that specific model as it was AWESOME. FAST, and durable! But I had no luck and found this guy in the process.
Out of stock in Blue Angel... Nice though.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew planes long before helis im a 3d plane spilot but not with helis yet get u something besides that jet for ur firstone

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

This would be a nice one to have. Better have lots of room though.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have an Sbach 342 on the way. Love that plane. I have had other planes. I do a fair amount of moderate 3D with them. I have been flying profiles lately but have wanted a plane that looks like a plane and not just a plane shaped object like the profiles are.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

my Stryker F-27 was lots of fun it was right at 100 MPH on a 3 cell 2200
I have a glow powered plane thats good for about 120mph

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have ton of planes.. Funjets are awesome. I have two gassers, one I am building is a 50cc 33%... I have a 25% Sbach 342... And tons of others. I just picked up a Stuka today. SO NICE!!!
They are just relaxing is all.

I know its true, when you can answer a phone call when flying, its not flying but it is still fun.
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a foamie 2 months ago
Heli,Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post

I would be careful buying from Banana Hobby. There are a lot of people less than satisfied with their products.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man, I started flying fixed wing back in the 60's. Single chanel with a rubber band powered escapment. Yes I am that old! I still fly fixed wing, but also enjoy flying rotory wing also. Also have my Airplane-single engine -land. Yeah I like to fly anything. Kites included.
Utah Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hate to switch everything all up... Wouldn't flying heli's being the less popular of the two be "the dark side" and flying planks be the not dark side? Yeah I do it too...
mattmezz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I admit it, I've always had a secret wanting for a Stuka, that doesn't make me a bad person does it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in