Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Will the stock 550 be good for a NOOB?

I currently have a CX2, and a B400, I've had the B400 for 3 weeks and I can hover it tail in pretty good. I bought it to learn on and use the DX6i later on a bigger heli. I originally wanted to step up to a TREX 600 but the cost is huge, so now I'm considering a Hurricane 550, is it really that much more stable and do you think I will be able to handle it without hurting myself, I have learned how to fly by myself. I have G4, and am getting good at FF on it, but still scared to try it for real.

Here is a short vid of the B400 in my back yard, I've gotten a lot more steady since then.
Blade 400 (1 min 30 sec)

So what do you guys think, should I go for it? Or do I need more practice with what I have already?
sd0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMHO yes - very stable and docile, though having watched your video a bit big for your yard.

P.S. If you hover a bit higher it will be easier - you are still in ground effect most of the time in the video
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you can handle a little one you'll have a "why not earlier" experience with a big heli like the hurricane. I don't regret the decision to take a hurricane! One thing you should take into account is a more efficient motor. Have a look at the Z20 with 980kV and you'll get longer flight times. That's one of the not that good things... but that's they way it is if you take a bigger heli. There're some nice helis with a little bit lower 1m rotor which use 3s. One further plus for an hurricane are cheap replacement parts.
-klaus
worldofmaya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks guys, I'm still a bit scared to hover higher, my adrenaline gets going like crazy.

Behind my house is all open land, undeveloped for hundereds of acre's, I just flew it in the backyard to film it because I didn't have someone to do the cam work for me.

I was back there today twice and set my timer on the Tx for 7 minutes and both times hovered till the timer ran all the way down, but now it's getting windy outside, and I won't fly in wind anymore. I tried it once, the second time I ever flew the B400, and it was the only time I crashed it. Bent the mainshaft, feathering spindle, tail boom, and stripped one servo, not doing that again!

I am going to order a Hurricane 550, in about two weeks, I can't wait, till then I'll keep on with the B400.

P.S. Does anyone have any pix of a 450 size heli like a B400/Trex450 next ot a Hurricane 550, so I can see how much bigger it really is?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heres a video by Finless of the Hurricane 550 next to a TREX 600 and 450.

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...e=sizediff.wmv
Old 02-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool, I think thats plenty big enough for me, the 600 looks very intimidating, but I guess either one could bite pretty bad if you are careless, I plan on taking it nice and easy, nothing but tail in for quite a while, and lots of sim time.

On the sim I always fly in idle up, but I've never tried it for real. That switch scares me, it should be called the "open wallet" switch.

I also hit throttle hold about 2-3 feet off the ground in the sim when I land, but have not tried that for real yet either. Should I? It works on the sim real good, but I'm not sure about doing it for real.

Thanks for the help/replys.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0 View Post
I also hit throttle hold about 2-3 feet off the ground in the sim when I land, but have not tried that for real yet either. Should I? It works on the sim real good, but I'm not sure about doing it for real.

Thanks for the help/replys.
Why wouldyou want to hit throttle hold? the Heli will fall like a rock. You need to practice controlling it all the way to the ground and make a nice soft landing....You can also practice your hovering in idle up, but if you crash it usually strips gears...

Once you get very confident in hovering....flip to idle up when on the ground and just hover the way you normally do...then gently put it down and flip back to normal.

The tough thing about idle up is it usually has more negative pitch than normal (not surehow they set up the 400 ) and more negative pitch will make it seem more sensative.

You will like the 550, just read some of the threads and make the improvements suggested....metal elevator arm...longer screws if not already in your kit...

Compared to what your flying...the lipos will be a big part of the investment...along with a good charger if you don't have one already..

But I really like the 550 for cost, plenty of parts, and it can grow into anything you want...mild or wild...
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Landing with Throttle hold is by far the number one gear and lipo saver. At only a few feet even if you did nothing with the collective it should settle in nicely (Assuming no wind).
jnngill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend learning how to fly the snot out of the heli you have first. Not only will you be more than likely many, many $$$ ahead it will absolutely be the safest way to learn.

Concentrate on being perfectly smooth and steady, the tiniest input required. These smaller birds are not THAT unstable. Get all four orientations down cold.

--

(Breath, relax, blink)
skydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Skydude that is basically my plan, I'm not going to get the 550, and then just abandon the B400, I will hone my skills on it while I build the 550.

I'm only getting the basic combo kit in two weeks, then it will take me a few more weeks to get all the rest of the pieces and assemble it.

And even then if I don't feel that I'm ready I will not fly it until I am.

I probaly won't be flying the 550 any sooner than 2-3 months from now, hopefully enough time to improve my flying, but I don't have a lot of spare time, Sunday is the only day I really get to fly, because I work 6 days a week, and by the time I get home it is dark, and I have a two year old son.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0 View Post
Skydude that is basically my plan, I'm not going to get the 550, and then just abandon the B400, I will hone my skills on it while I build the 550.
You might just abandon the 400 more. I know I did. My T450 flys Allot less these days... since getting the Hurri.

Quote:
I'm only getting the basic combo kit in two weeks, then it will take me a few more weeks to get all the rest of the pieces and assemble it.

And even then if I don't feel that I'm ready I will not fly it until I am.
Once you have it ready to fly... I recommend you start flying it. The Hurri is going to be easier to fly than your Blade (bigger IS easier to fly)... and thus your flying skills are going to progress faster... really!!

Mine did a whole lot... once I got the Hurri. I was more confident to fly... because the Hurri was more confident inspiring to fly.

Quote:
I don't have a lot of spare time, Sunday is the only day I really get to fly, because I work 6 days a week, and by the time I get home it is dark, and I have a two year old son.
I hear that one... don't feel like the Lone Ranger

3 at home (6,4,2)... and it IS tough to juggle the time between family, work, and flying!! I'm feeling pretty lucky if I get a couple of Sundays in a month these days

Can't wait for the days to start getting longer... and warmer
bstock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Why wouldyou want to hit throttle hold? the Heli will fall like a rock. You need to practice controlling it all the way to the ground and make a nice soft landing....You can also practice your hovering in idle up, but if you crash it usually strips gears...
Actually, this is the prefer method for landing. Just hover the heli 1-3 ft off the ground, then TH, the bird will settle down very nicely. Like jnngill was saying, if you tip over on landing, you would save a lot of parts if TH is on.

The heli does not fall like a rock when TH, the blade inertia still has enough energy to let you fly the bird down (That is how autorotation work) I have seen many pilots at my field cut the throttle on the T-Rex 600 at 50+ ft and auto down every time they land.

That how I land my Hurricane/TREx-450 all the time.
ke6d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6d View Post
Actually, this is the prefer method for landing. Just hover the heli 1-3 ft off the ground, then TH, the bird will settle down very nicely. Like jnngill was saying, if you tip over on landing, you would save a lot of parts if TH is on.

The heli does not fall like a rock when TH, the blade inertia still has enough energy to let you fly the bird down (That is how autorotation work) I have seen many pilots at my field cut the throttle on the T-Rex 600 at 50+ ft and auto down every time they land.

learn something new every day...if I could live to 100...I may get a little smarter, but then I would forget it each day...
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both helis, my B400 is jealous, we haven't flown in weeks since the Hurry got here. Its just so much better, actually easier to learn on the Hurry as it give you a little more time before you get it out of control.

I am teaching my son and I rather have him try it on the H550 than the B400.
vicrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6d View Post

But i would say that you should keep the pitch curves in TH the same as in your prefered flight mode!

Many people have the pitch curve in TH set up for full negative, but for your first attempts at the TH landings i would think keeping your pitch curve the same as your normal flight modes so something like -5 at most.

Other wise when you switch to TH from only 5feet it will indeed drop like a stone!!

And to get back on Topic!

I would say with a resounding YES the Hurricane is, in my opinion, Perfect for a first time flyer.
I have had a little experience with a shogun 400 before the Hurricane and the Hurricane is in a different world, so much more stable and easy to control. Take off and landings are so much smoother.

Ben
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the Trex 450 SE for a while and moved to the Bigger Hurricane 550 and am glad that I did. Not saying that the Trex isn't a good heli but wasn't my style of learning heli. It was basically the only one out that I could afford to repair after each crash. Like allot of use here have been saying, you will forget about the B400 I know I forgot about my Trex 450 that's why I sold it. Now I have two Hurricane 550's.
xfaega is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in