Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need Help! SK720 GOV Does Not Work.

I need help. I get no RPM changes between modes.

Spec.
Mini Protos streched 4S
YGE 60A ESC
Main gear 120T
Pinion 16T
Scorpion Motor 2221-2010 (http://www.readyheli.com/Scorpion-HK...r_p_36988.html)

Here is what I did.

*Before installing the Hyperion sensor, I turned on the Gov (electric) on in the sofware and then went thru the throttle/gov wizard setup process.

*plug into the 1-0C port on the SK, white signal goes to the top

TX readings
*Throttle end points both 100
*Normal curve 0-20-40-40-40
*Idle Up 1 60 Flat
*Idle Up 2 100 Flat

* Gear ratio [ (120/16)*Poles/2 ] - I am a litte confused here. Per the Scorpion, motor has 6 poles but there are 9 mag coils. Anyway, I tried both 6 (ratio value 22.5) and then 9 (ratio value 33.75) in the gear ratio calculation but same result.

*Turned off Gov in the ESC.

*Reprogrammed ESC low (0) and high (IU2=100) throttle with hold switch in off position

*Tried with and without blades but same result. No changes in RPM

*RPM fields changed colour when idle 1-2 is enabled. Max throttle was set in idle 2 without hold

*Tried both soft start and fast start on the ESC. It did start soft in soft mode and fast in fast mode, but no RPM change in IU modes.

*Did not matter what RPM I set, it seemed to have one 1 speed.

What am I missing

I've got a few sensors ready for install but at the moment I am very tempted to just go back to the Kon & YGE built-in gov

Any help is much appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What RPMs do you have listed in each of the fields? Did you also program you MAX and IDLE throttle positions? How much headroom are you affording the governor?
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gov

I'm using sk720 w/ YGE 90LV esc..

I had to do the following:

Turn yge esc gov. off. via prog. card, by setting Heli Mid, Gov Off x3, Plane Mid or fast..
Go to SK gov set to Electric, plug in phase sensor., set low, high throttle on gov.
Go back to yge prog. card set low, high throttle on esc.

Make sure throttle end points are set to 100% in TX when doing hig, low in esc prog.

Worked for me..
vwopd is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
What RPMs do you have listed in each of the fields? Did you also program you MAX and IDLE throttle positions? How much headroom are you affording the governor?
RPM:
1st try 1000,1500,2000
2nd try 2600, 2800, 3000 this one is my target HS
3rd try 1000,2000,3000

Batts were fully charge

Yes I did program max and idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwopd View Post
I'm using sk720 w/ YGE 90LV esc..

I had to do the following:

Turn yge esc gov. off. via prog. card, by setting Heli Mid, Gov Off x3, Plane Mid or fast..
Go to SK gov set to Electric, plug in phase sensor., set low, high throttle on gov.
Go back to yge prog. card set low, high throttle on esc.

Make sure throttle end points are set to 100% in TX when doing hig, low in esc prog.

Worked for me..
I did that and didn't help

----------------

Got another hyperion sensor and went thru the entire setup wizard carefully 3 times and still no change in RPM between modes. As I indicated earlier, rpm fields changed color when idle up enabled

I have setup 6 sk unit on my birds and this one is most frustrating. It looks so simple but I am not getting it to work
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

=] check in the view tab (rpm data) the sensor is being seen by spinning the head backwards,

do you have disable gov assigned to a tail bank switch?? maybe?!

georgi UK is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I would check to see if you're getting a reading as Georgi suggested. It sounds like the sensor isn't being detected.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The connection to one of the three motor leads you have selected to drive the sensor must be an absolutely solid solider connection. Sometimes the connections look good but are not electrically sound. I use a small bullet connector so it can be removed is needed.

Don S.
ds1rc is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you gentlemen! Will check and try again tonight and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1rc View Post
The connection to one of the three motor leads you have selected to drive the sensor must be an absolutely solid solider connection. Sometimes the connections look good but are not electrically sound. I use a small bullet connector so it can be removed is needed.

Don S.
Connection is solid (I think). I have made at least a hundred solder connections and never had a problem with cold solder joints so chances are this one is good too but who know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Yeah, I would check to see if you're getting a reading as Georgi suggested. It sounds like the sensor isn't being detected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] check in the view tab (rpm data) the sensor is being seen by spinning the head backwards,

do you have disable gov assigned to a tail bank switch?? maybe?!
So what am I supposed to see in the view tab (the three assigned RPM boxes?) when spinning the head backwards? If if I see "it", then sensor is being dectected and if not, then either the connector is not good or bad sensor?

Will check the tail back switch

Also, I am still vague about the pole count in the gear ratio calculation. Per scorpion motor specs. It is a 6 pole motor but I have heard people said to count the magnetic winding things which there are 9. So do I use 6 or 9 in the gear ratio cal?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

=] the magnets are in pairs, so this has to be an even number, you will see the toggle light in the view tab that shows sensor connection when powered up.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
So what am I supposed to see in the view tab (the three assigned RPM boxes?) when spinning the head backwards? If if I see "it", then sensor is being dectected and if not, then either the connector is not good or bad sensor?
Once your unit is connected go to View / Display Voltage and RPM data and watch the little dot next to "RPM Sensor Toggle". If it lights up intermittently as you rotate the motor backwards that means the sensor is working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKrpm.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	375815  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Larry227. That was really helpful.

I tested both sensors and they all lid up as I rotated the motor so the sensors are working.

I checked the gov the tail bank it is disabled.

I searched and pretty much read up all the issues related to sk governor and still don't have any ideas why mine isn't working.

Anymore ideas?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Throttle end points in the ESC...

Had the same issue with my CC and SK540. Not sure if the YGE's have the same problem
Goblin 700 - HPS, 4530-500, SK720 & GPS, MKS HBL 950's/980, ICE2 160HV
demon1300 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which radio are you using?

On a YGE speed controller, you need to program your end points with your receiver in low speed (analog) mode. Bind your SK720 in 11ms (not 22ms) mode. Program your throttle end points on the ESC, then bind back into highspeed.

This is documented in the YGE instructions for external governors ... there's a good chance this may be your issue.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff, I have DX8 using DSMX Sat on the SK unit.

Checked the TX and it is currently in 11ms frame rate mode so it was already binded with 11ms.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm.... I'm going to have to think about this some more and do some research. Hang tight. I'll try to have some other avenues to explore this evening.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

=] the gov needs to see it's cue to engage properly, if you or the esc transit this too quickly you can end up with a 70% throttle, one method can be holding a mid-throttle spool using normal until it kicks in,

another reason for this is the low voltage alarm is set wrongly or a voltage issue is being detected, again a 70% throttle to get you home.

enable a playback log and post it up, lets see where?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] the gov needs to see it's cue to engage properly, if you or the esc transit this too quickly you can end up with a 70% throttle, one method can be holding a mid-throttle spool using normal until it kicks in,

You mean spool up in normal mode - move the throttle stick slowly to mid-stick and stay there until the gov kicks in?

another reason for this is the low voltage alarm is set wrongly or a voltage issue is being detected, again a 70% throttle to get you home.

enable a playback log and post it up, lets see where?

I will turn on the playback log and maybe email the file? I have not been able to open any playback log except for vibration log.

While we are trying to figure out the problem on this heli (Mini Protos), I am going to try and do the same thing on my Warp360 (it has SK540 instead of SK720) to see it I would get a better result. If it does not work either then you all know that I really screw up somewhere...

Thanks everyone for trying to help!!!! I really appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
While we are trying to figure out the problem on this heli (Mini Protos), I am going to try and do the same thing on my Warp360 (it has SK540 instead of SK720) to see it I would get a better result. If it does not work either then you all know that I really screw up somewhere...

Thanks everyone for trying to help!!!! I really appreciate it.
=] yes, allow the SK gov to ramp in normal, you should hear it dip, this says it's locked on.

use http://www.filedropper.com/ for the log,

Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That was the same issue here with my TRex 550 and my DX8.
I had flat throttle curves and the gov didn't engage.
Now I have a almost flat throttle curve for Normal and a flat one für Idle-up1 and Idle-up2.
The first point in the Normal curve is 0% the second point and all other are 37%.

I disable TH with the throttle/pitch stick at lowest position. Then I push up the throttle stick to middle position. During spool-up happens the little kick (pay attention) which shows the engaging of the governor.
BDW: the pitch curve for Normal doesn't start at 0%...

Soko
soko is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Also, I am still vague about the pole count in the gear ratio calculation. Per scorpion motor specs. It is a 6 pole motor but I have heard people said to count the magnetic winding things which there are 9. So do I use 6 or 9 in the gear ratio cal?

Thanks
9 stator, 6 mag can on the Scorp 2221.... Go by the magnet count.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in