Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion > KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450

KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 KDS Innova 700, 600, 550, 450 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS 450S and FlyMentor

Hey Everyone,

As you can see I am new to posting to these forums however I am very excited to continue to push my skill level with heli's.

I recently purchased a KDS 450S with FlyMentor pre-installed. The control that it comes with is a 7ch 2.4Ghz Radio Remote Control. Standard for the kit.

After reading Ivors FlyMentor setup guide, I am curious if everything is already set up of if I should review all of the settings. I will admit this will be my first 6ch heli so any assistance will be of great help.

My biggest worry is not fully understanding how to program and set FlyMentor to my preferences.

Thanks

Nic

Last edited by zimman; 12-16-2011 at 06:01 PM..
zimman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Resent reports indicate that it will not be set up very well but you will get all the help you need here.
Please be aware that the problem with RTF helis is that parts are not loctighted and screws come undone possibly causing a crash.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you ivor.

I will plan on double checking each and every part. I will also plan on starting fresh with following your directions on the flymentor set up.

Real quick, to change what a channel on the remote control operates, how do I do that. I would like to set flymentor to a 3 position switch so I can go between position hold/off/balance.

Sorry it's new for me.

Thanks

Nic
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimman View Post
Thank you ivor.

I will plan on double checking each and every part. I will also plan on starting fresh with following your directions on the flymentor set up.

Real quick, to change what a channel on the remote control operates, how do I do that. I would like to set flymentor to a 3 position switch so I can go between position hold/off/balance.

Sorry it's new for me.

Thanks

Nic
Not familar with your transmitter so can't help but it is normally channel 7 and the blue wire would be plugged into that channel and a swiitch would be set to that channel.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you. I'm going to do my best to set it up and we will see what happens. I've never set up a control before so again this is all a new experience for me.

Have you heard any reviews about kds heli's?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.655950,-90.304190
Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS 450S

Hi Nic!

I'm newer than you (First post) and I also have a KDS 450S with Flymentor, so you are not alone.

I have also been sorting through many of these posts and Ivor's awesome recommendations and have been trying to educate myself.

My radio is the KDS K-7XII, probably the same as yours, and after reading the FM User's manual I do believe the Flymentor was physically installed on the copter correctly. I tried to check the setup of the radio and found a few differences but all in all I think that is correct also. The Flymentor software is a little old and I think this radio is new so it may have to be configured a little differently.

I unplugged the motor and checked a few things, the radio has been binded to the bird so someone has done that for you. My box had been opened, I'm guessing to install the FM and set it up. The box itself says nothing about the 450S having Flymentor so it may very well be a dealer installed option.

I turned on the radio and powered the heli up (with the motor unplugged) and the FM light went from red to a flashing green, so I think that is OK. The light didn't go to a solid green and supposedly the reason for that is that the camera can't work with the bland outline of the carpet in the room where I was working, it needs more distinct images?

The green light flashes very quickly, and causes the tail rudder servo to buzz, I don't know why. The rudder servo works, it just buzzes, and not consistently. Everything else seems normal and works.

The straps supplied to hold the battery down bite, I put a velcro strip on the battery and the battery shelf to help hold it AND used the straps. Much better.

I can't stand having a new gadget and not trying it out so I went out in the back yard and gave it a try. I gave it some stick and it wanted to dive towards the left front. I have a training kit installed and it wanted to leave the left front ball on the ground. I moved the left stick about halfway to the right and gave it a little more juice and it lifted off. I got it up to about 3 feet and all it wanted to do was spin counterclockwise. Not good.... so I put it down.

I took it back in the house and checked it over, but found nothing. I decided to hook it up to the Flymentor HeliBal and see if I can figure something out, but since I know little about this I found nothing.

I charged the battery back up and decided to try again, and I made a mistake. After I took the Heli off of the HeliBal it acted weird, the servos worked but sometimes the blades didn't respond and sometimes they did. I took it outside and fired it up and the blades smacked each other so I shut it down. Now parts of the head are broken.... when the head didn't act right it should have been a red flag and I missed it. These guys are right, You really do need to check it over and loctite everything. I've ordered a new head ($25) and will try again after Xmas.

Maybe these guys will have some ideas on my spinning copter problem. I've probably missed something basic so I'll keep reading up on this in the meantime.

Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes!

Tom
Toystoretom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have heard this story repeat itself more often than not, especially when a heli is supplied with an FS system already installed. It would be fine if the heli came completely and 100% properly setup but more often than not it isn't the case.

For any FS installation to work requires the heli to be setup without it so it will at least hover level with good tail hold and that all the curves and controls are setup correctly on the TX so your heli is flyable. Then and only then it will be ready to accept the FS system.

Setting up a heli with FS already installed can only be carried out with expert knowledge of both systems heli setup and FS setup, For a novice to attempt this will lead to rather costly lessons.

In the case of your installation from your description of the first test flight the main issue to identified was a bad tail setup probably the gyro correction direction was wrong. Also with FS properly setup the heli wouldn't require any correction on take off, FM should have taken care of it and the heli would have done some 'dancing' as the FS corrected the natural tendency of the heli to slightly want to tilt.

In the 100's of posts on this forum and especially in the stickys at the top. You can find a pointer to all the static tests to run to verify FM is responding in the correct manner and direction to commands and heli attitude including tail operations. There is no point attempting putting the thing in the air before hand.

The fact is that if one succeeds in all the above one is ready to fly and crash repair and setup as second nature. I must also mention here that understanding ones Transmitter operation is also essential to this process. There is no such thing as a heli being purchased Ready To Fly from any commercial outlet at least.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the weather is decent, some of the helicopter guys fly at Buder Park and may be able to help get you set up.

Also look up the St. Louis Whirlybirds. A lot of great people that will help too. They are starting some indoor flying, which I think is posted on their web site.

http://www.stlouiswhirlybirds.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks pril250!

Probably the main reason I bought this is that it is billed as a good "beginner's helicopter" in more than one video and so on. You seem to be closer to reality than those vids.

I think what I may do is turn the FM off and try and set the copter up without as per your suggestion. I am a owner now since I flew it so I am going to soldier on and see if I can learn something. When I bought this I figured I'd have a few mishaps... this is how I learn.

You guys have already been a help and when I get set back up next week I may bug you for more!

Tom
Toystoretom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in