Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Help I'm having nasty thoughts

Well....... I love my Protos. And my b400 is ok. Gives me a hard time every once in a while. But I'm not sure. Do I replace the b400. Or go bigger? It's kinda a pain sometimes waiting on Protos parts here in Canada. I thought of a mini p. but then I'm stuck with parts availability issues at times with it too. I want bigger. I want a p700. But tired of waiting and can't really afford a 700. Possibly thinking Align 550 or 600. Good deals I see on the combos. Sell the 3gx. Get a ikon. I dunno. Never had align. Flown some 450 clones. Didn't like. But parts availability is great.
I need a game plan. I can't decide. Not a smack flyer. Big air, just starting to adds rudder to tricks. Playing with funnels and the odd messed piroflips. I love the larger helis sounds tho.

Ugh. What to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't buy align anything. Its all crap. Especially after being spoiled with fine Italian craftsmanship on a protos.

I had two aligns a 450 and a 500. I thought they were alright till my flying improved. Then i realized how sloppy those things were. Everyone goes on and on about how easy it is to get parts, and i think that is about the ONLY thing they have going for them.

Buy something higher quality and i promise you will love your heli a whole lot more. Me personally i am in the process of putting together a Thunder Tiger X50. I wish i could get a 700 myself but like you i just cant seem to find the extra funds. So i went with a 600. Still big and stable but not quite as expensive. You may want to also look into Gaui. They have a pretty good distribution, and a few models at different price points. Or maybe just oreder your MSH parts from here in the US. we never have a problem finding parts.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get an X5! I love flying my Protos as a good warm up exercise then moving on to the X5. I alternate between them at the field, too. I always keep the Protos because even after a hundred flights I still become amazed at the quiet sound and the smoothness of the flights.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The X5 is a 600?
"Tri-Flow"
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm Outrage Fusion 50 looks nice too... I can never decide LOL
"Tri-Flow"
Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd recommend the Pantera P6 (audacitymodels.com), but of course I'm biased. That being said, there are reasons why I picked that particular heli when I bought it and they could be valid for you as well. There's probably no distributor in Canada, but I'm sure Audacity can ship direct to you. Check it out, it's worth a few minutes of your time...
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Hmm Outrage Fusion 50 looks nice too... I can never decide LOL
Outrage has part supply problems all the time and tt gear issues unless they have been rectified!
. Seriuosly if you are thinking of a great quality 550 or 600 take a good hard look at the synergy E5. It can be set up as a true 550 on 6s or 12s and be stretched to a 600 with there stretch boom kit. The E5 heli is hands down top quality and a great machine
. I will never have an outrage product again except the G5 tail system I use on my stretch 400 Their customer service and way of doing business is a joke period!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Help I'm having nasty thoughts

Ok. Outrage no. Just looking what's avail wih some local suppliers. Will check audacity. And lookin at the 6HV. I think I want 600mm blades. The x5 looks nice but no availability anywhere I can see right now. Not like I'm buyin tonight. I wish I could tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking a lot at the Mikado line up lately. They even have plastic grips
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know about parts availability, but I am really happy about my Beam Avantgarde 600 size.

The craftsmanship is very good, and it's a low parts count heli. Also built like a tank.
So it's easy to stock up on key parts.

As I had some 6s 5Ah batteries, I fitted a 1100 kv motor and it flies well. I am about to upgrade
to 12s with a 630kv motor, and I might possible be afraid of it with the power it'll have then.

Hop over to the Beam Avantgarde forum and take a look.

Cheers
Erik
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2spyder View Post
Don't buy align anything. Its all crap. Especially after being spoiled with fine Italian craftsmanship on a protos.

I had two aligns a 450 and a 500. I thought they were alright till my flying improved. Then i realized how sloppy those things were. Everyone goes on and on about how easy it is to get parts, and i think that is about the ONLY thing they have going for them.

Buy something higher quality and i promise you will love your heli a whole lot more. Me personally i am in the process of putting together a Thunder Tiger X50. I wish i could get a 700 myself but like you i just cant seem to find the extra funds. So i went with a 600. Still big and stable but not quite as expensive. You may want to also look into Gaui. They have a pretty good distribution, and a few models at different price points. Or maybe just oreder your MSH parts from here in the US. we never have a problem finding parts.
+10 on that. Your trex will never see the air when you have the protos. Get the mini. Not sure when the 700 is due out, but if you have those three you would never need to buy anything else. Once you go from MSH to Align, you will realize how spoiled we really are.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned User

Compass 6HV. I just got a decent deal on a used one and I'm very impressed with the quality. Havent flown it yet but its very lightweight and has a robust design. Except for the landing struts, but I hear thats an easy upgrade.

If buying 2x 6s packs isnt your cup of tea, theres always the Atom 500. But if you stretch your Protos you could share packs with either the 500 or in pairs on the 6HV.

www.rchelicanada.com
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, a 6HV is on my short list
"Tri-Flow"
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For some reason I was never a fan of the 6HV. The design never really appealed to me.. it just looked so... crude, compared to some of the other models in the class. It's just not very aesthetically pleasing to me, I'm sure it flies great, though.

X5 is close enough to a 600 (swings 520's) for me, with a better power:weight ratio.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaofos View Post
For some reason I was never a fan of the 6HV. The design never really appealed to me.. it just looked so... crude, compared to some of the other models in the class. It's just not very aesthetically pleasing to me, I'm sure it flies great, though.

X5 is close enough to a 600 (swings 520's) for me, with a better power:weight ratio.
The Compass 6HV Ultimate will be out soon (so no one is stocking the V1). I hear it uses the same tail as the 7HV V2 which is already beefy! It seems to be very different looking heli from the 6HV. The 6HV has an insane power to weight ratio and very low CG. They fly very well.

http://www.mttec.de/download/Handel/...OG2013_NET.pdf

BTW you could get a Protos stretch as a 2nd heli (470mm blades) then you could share parts. I think I saw one in the for-sale forum here

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The nice thing about having a 500 and 600 is sharing flight packs. I use Gens Ace 6s 2600 batteries on the Protos and just pair them up for 12s on the Pantera 600. This way you don't need to have too many LiPos of too many capacities around. Also, the Pantera at low RPM is much nicer to the packs than the Protos. So I use new packs on the Protos and older packs, which would otherwise not perform very well on the Protos, go on the P6 exclusively.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mikado just finished moving to a larger facility so they can ramp up production.

If you want similar disk loading you might seriously consider a 550SX or 600SX.

Both fly really well.

The 6HV Ultimate looks good, but for some reason Compass has never done it for me, not that it is a bad heli.

I can say that my TREX 550 was a POS and my Synergy E5 is a MUCH higher quality kit that I like much better.

For a 700, I'd seriously look at the upcoming TT e700, herringbone main gear, and fully helical umbrellas front and back. It looks like a 3D monster and in a lighter form factor than the e720 with more refinement and better motor ventilation.

Personally I've been eyeballing the VooDoo 600 which is belted front and back and actually has better disk loading than the 600SX but it also can't be overpowered
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Yes, a 6HV is on my short list
6hv good choice, you can share packs w your Protos, that's what I did. You will also be quite impressed as you can get some good flight times on it as well as gobs of power.
You also have very good parts access in Canada.

Had a Logo and as nice as it is, IMO very over priced. They say crash costs not bad
My maiden , of a used Logo, about 30 ft up lost tail rod,improperly glued, making a "basic" turn, needless to say , very bad piro, hit TH , and $165 later had her back in air. My Protos would have needed new blade grips and maybe shaft/boom.

I much prefer my new Goblin over the Logo, hands down. Crash might be costly but it feels like a Protos on steroids! And sounds same.

Good luck on your choice but remember:

"Friends don't let friends fly Al%#n "
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been eying the VooDoo 600 for a while too. Sweet looking bird. But I'm rather under the impression it's not sold outside Germany....
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Help I'm having nasty thoughts

Another vote for the Synergy E5...i love mine!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in