Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This was going to be my next question-ESC up front or on the back for better cooling?
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG1 View Post
This was going to be my next question-ESC up front or on the back for better cooling?
It is an important consideration and wrestled back and forth with how to do mine. Cooling is an issue because the CC EESC's do get hot especially if you run them mid throttle. Seems backwards but mine 120 HV gets hotter at 1800 RPM than 2000. Cooling would definitely be better on the back and Align shows that as on option
but there is no clear way to get the wires passed the main shaft. It can be done but it is a narrow passage. So bottom line I think is most people tend to put it up front. They get hot but still within limits.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the castle edge 120, it's going to get too hot in the nose unless you stick a fan on it, which you can easily rig up.

The 160hv will stay cool enough in the nose though to be ok, though it will be cooler on the back obviously.

Placing the esc on the back can be done but it's a bit tricky to get the wires to the motor without touching servo arms and the main shaft. Aside from being cooler if you put the esc on the back, your battery wires can be unplugged while your canopy is still on which is super convenient.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also cut the slots in the canopy a la MIKADO's 700xx. I think a LOT of people underestimate what that added airflow can do you for you.

Castle rates all their ESCs with 5 mph airflow. You'd be amazed what 50mph of airflow can do. Heat is the enemy regardless of circumstances. If you do it right.. the slots also look pretty cool IMO.

An internal fan is great... a 50+ mph wind is ideal.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would use direct wire from 2S batt right to the RX. Skip the BEC. One less thing to fail. Just IMO
spoolin600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
2S batt right to the RX
Did you mean the FBL? All the primary current leads need to go to where the servos plug in.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

He's right depending on your setup. With Sats, you'd probably have your dual JR leads go from RX battery directly to two ports on your FBL.

If you fly SBUS or similar, one JR lead from RX battery would go into the RX itself and the other would go into the FBL system.

Then the SBUS cable would bring over the other 5A or so of current from the RX to FBL system. Signal and power all in one lead. Pretty cool.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use 2 bec power leads into vbar and 2 patch cables from vbar to rx. One is sbus, the other has the signal (white or yellow) removed and is just a rx power backup. The later is probably silly given the tiny power consumption of the rx, but there are enough unused ports...
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
1+. If you want to use a BEC, build the series harness right on to the ESC wires and add wires to the BEC between the ESC black wire and the harness mid point. Then connecting one battery powers the BEC but not the ESC. You can also add a set of EC3 connectors on the BEC tap so you can open them to connect a smaller battery like a 3S 2200 for setup. Or, you can make an EC5 to EC3 adapter to use the smaller battery during setup.

All that said, I am using a 2S LiFe on my 700L.
Just out of curiosity, what servos are you running? BK HV servos don't seem to pull any more current than other high powered servos, but they produce back EMF that a direct 2s or standard BEC like the CC can't resolve. If you are running an Ikon or a Neo, then servo power draw will be your only worry (I don't know about other units out there). The Neo and the Ikon are the only two that I have tested for the brownout issues, and they passed.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

accidental post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in