Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 9Zwc2/GV-1 Setup HELP!

Maybe I am just having a brain fart or something, but I can't seem to figure out how to program the two together. I want to tie the speed to the Idle up switch but right now it is on the left knob. And it only turns it on or off. What am I missing here? I have never messed with govs before and I am kinda stumped.

I am using a R148DP for a Rx.

Please help guys, Sorry for the stupid question. And I know what is going to happen, as soon as some one explains it I will remeber it all!
loewermx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only thing I do differently from this is the stsw is on. I think this will get you where you want to be. This was posted on another board, I hope Ben Doesn't mind

Mike...

The following are some set up notes that I worte for Hobbico for their tech guys to use with calers in need of help. I repeat; this is just ONE way of doing it.

Ben Minor
Team Futaba

>>GV-1/9Z Set Up, Step by Step

The following list of steps is designed to help those who are lost or otherwise confused by the set up of the GV-1 when used with any of the 9Z series radios. The list of steps describes ONE WAY of setting the GV-1 up and in no way represents the only way of doing so. The goal of the steps is to give the user a functional set up that can then be modified as needed when requirements change or after the user is more comfortable with the overall use of the GV-1 and 9Z transmitter/149DP receiver.

The described set up assigns the engine speed to the default idle up switch, thus giving the ability to program three separate head speeds for normal/hover, idle up/flight condition one, and idle up/flight condition two. In addition, instructions are included to ensure the governor reliably disengages when throttle hold is activated and when a receiver failsafe condition occurs. The set up takes advantage of the functionality of the Z and thus has the on/off function for the governor assigned to a switch on the transmitter. There is no particular reason to choose this method over the stick switching version, except that the latter method inherently generates confusion about how/why the GV-1 does not disengage when in idle up when the throttle/collective stick is reduced to low.. The ability to disengage the GV-1 with the flick of a toggle is a comfort to many pilots, including the author of this discussion.

1. Referring to the leads on the GV-1 amplifier, plug the…………

a. throttle lead into the channel 3 slot in the receiver.

b. GV-1 on/off lead into the channel 8(AU 2) slot in the receiver.

c. GV-1 rpm select lead into the channel 7(AU 1) slot in the receiver.

d. throttle servo lead into the throttle slot in the GV-1 amplifier.
(NOTE: IT IS VERY EASY TO ACCIDENTALLY PLUG THE THROTTLE SERVO LEAD INTO THE MIXTURE SLOT IN THE AMPLIFIER. DOING SO CAN CAUSE A MYRIAD OF HEADACHES.)

e. GV-1 sensor lead into the sensor slot in the GV-1 amplifier.

2. 9Z transmitter set up

a. In the FNC menu, assign the AU 1 channel to switch E (default idle up) for GV-1 speed selection. Display for AU 1 should read "-**" for TRM and "+SE" for CTR). Normal/hover will be S1, Idle up 1 will be S2, and Idle up 2 will be S3.

b. Assign AU 2 channel to switch F for GV-1 on/off. Display for AU 2 should read "-**" for TRM and "+SF" for CTR. If the user prefers, assign it to another switch. It makes no difference.

c. Servo reversing: AU 1 reversed; AU 2 normal.

d. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!! GV-1 on/off when in throttle hold: Enter AFR menu. Toggle the throttle hold switch to the "on" position. Set Rate B to 0(zero)%.. Rate A stays at 100%. The GV-1 now always disengages when throttle hold is toggled.

e. Fail Safe: Enter the F/S menu. Set throttle stick position to about 1/5 above idle. Exact position is not critical. For the THR channel, select F/S (NOR is default). Hit SET. For the AU2 channel: Toggle the GV-1 on/off switch (or whatever one was chosen above) to the "off" position. AU2 set to FS (NOR is default). These two tasks reduce engine throttle to a little over idle and shut off the GV-1 when a failsafe condition occurs. It is important to accomplish these tasks. A model in failsafe with the GV-1 still activated is unsafe.

3. GV-1 amplifier set up

a. RPM setting: S1/hover rpm set to 1500 rpm. S2/S3 idle up rpm set to 1750 rpm. These numbers are safe starting values only. The user can adjust as they wish based on flying style.

b. Gear ratio: The user will have to provide the model's gear ratio as per the model's instructions or technical data. Make certain the data is accurately entered or model's head speed will not reflect the programmed settings.

c. Starting at the VOLTAGE screen on the amplifier screen and scrolling down ("- "function key), the following setting should either appear or be set:

GVOf INH
StSw INH
SWPt Off
GRt Set as per "b" above.
Disp Rot
S1, S2, S3 Set as per "a" above..
B/FS ACT
MTrm INH
MSx Norm
ATVA/B 100%
MxMD Gov

NB: Contained in the menu is the screen that sets the percentages for the mixture servo. The settings remain in default and are not used in this set up or application.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks PilotError,

I guess there is no way to do it with the 148DP. Is there a way to assign it to a switch (on/off) in channel 7 slot?
loewermx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Scott,
Using the 148 DP, get a Y connector and use Channel 8 also. One of the Aux channels from the GV 1 will plug into Channel 7. The other will plug into the Y connector that is plugged into Channel 8. The other side of the Y connector the battery/switch will be plugged into it.
Now go into function control on the radio,
Assign the Aux channel that the speed selection is plugged into the same switch as the idle up switch.
Assign the Aux Channel that the on/off lead from the GV1 is plugged into any switch that you want to turn the GV1 off /on. You can also still use the Stick Switch feature in the GV1 when doing this also. The on/off switch just has to be in the on position.

I have used an 8 Channel reciever with a GV 1 using a Y connector in channel 8/ battery on the receiver. It works just fine.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

You ROCK David!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in