Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

It is my understanding that it will be a conversion v. a kit. Can anyone confirm?
dorfmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will be both. Initially it will be offered as a conversion for an Extreme or Tempest, sometime in mid to late May.

It will later be offered as a full kit for either OS or YS 91's.

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

My HF Map location

This new Stratus is the most advanced and strong 90 sized glow machine on the market today. MA did a great job on it. As the previous owner of a Spectra G, I know first hand how well engineered and STRONG they are.

As Eric said, there are a lot of upgraded and changed parts in the conversion. Not just frames.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja170
This new Stratus is the most advanced and strong 90 sized glow machine on the market today. MA did a great job on it.
and how true this is.
tim brought one to the torchs ff this weekend.
he put the stratus on my table and it was sitting there all day saturday.
what a beauty in engineering it is.
even a rep. (no names mentioned) from another manufacturer was mesmerized by this machine and would get one if he wouldn't be reping for someone else. :glasses2:
all in all, nobody walked by without taking a close look at this new heli and I'm sure it will be a huge success.
and the bonus to the stratus was when marcus showed up and did his thing with a new stratus and a new os engine in it.
the field was coming to a complete stop and there must have been some 50 pilots standing behind mk when he demo flew the stratus inches of the ground.

I hope someone took a video of it, because words couldn't make it just.
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Data is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a rep from another company and I am switching to Xcell because of the Stratus. I was also at the torchs fun fly and I have Marcus Kims demo flight with the Stratus and new OS engine on Dig tape. I need to figure out how to get it to the Willster so it can be posted. There was quite a swarm of pilots around Marcus as on of them says "dont be nervous Marcus, nobodys watching". Marcus laid down some serious smack with that Stratus. He says you can feel a big difference from a fury extreme.

Mike
Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eric Larson,

Eric Larson,

The Stratus on your homepage is using the Fury-Extreme radio/batteri tray.
The one on the MinAir homepage is not using the Fury Extreme tray.
How come ??? due to CG problems???

Also: The On/Off switch is placed at differences places……

Man - that engine mount looks simple….is it strong enough?

What about the headertank - no need for that?

PS: Great video on your homepage
:cool: :glasses2:
[/b]
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, all of the production kits will have the battery/radio tray extension. This will allow for a wide range of batteries. If you are using a heavier pack, it is possible to mount it on the frames and get the C.G. correct, if you are using a lighter pack, you will probably need to mount it on the extension as I have mine mounted. The C.G. of the model is VERY close so pushing weight either way will result in a slight imbalance either way. Most of the older extreme's and tempest's where nose heavy and the fuel really affected the C.G. That is not true any more.

The switch placement was moved. It is now mounted on the frame stiffener in the front, either left or right side as chosen by the builder. This position is better for our nitro powered models. The switch location on the bottom works well for the Gas Spectra, but due to the oil in the nitro fuel the lower location did not work out. The upper position also makes it easier to split the top and bottom frames for very easy maintenance. It takes about 10 min or so to pull the model apart now and maintenance is much easier.

The mount is EXTREMELY strong It is a new innovation by MA and it has worked out very well. The engine mount really isolates vibrations and the model is very smooth as a result. One model was completely destroyed in testing due to a radio failure as it fell from a very high altitude. The bottom plate and motor where not damaged. There also have been some other less sever but fairly substantial crashes and the motor mount has proved to be rigid and secure.

I run a fuel clunk called a "Fuel Magnet". They are a special type of foam that allows air to be isolated out of the fuel. As long as the Fuel Magnet can even touch fuel it will not allow air into the fuel system. I am able to run to around 1/10th of an ounce of fuel before my engine dies. There is also NO mixture change in flight from full tank to dry. The only warning you have that you are running out of fuel is when the motor dies. They will be on the market very soon, as the R&D is complete. I hated running a header tank for many reasons. #1 is I like my fuel system to be as simple as possible. #2 is they can cause a bunch of problems for fuel delivery.

The Fuel Magnet is the best part I have put on my helicopter in the last few years. It is something that seems so simple, but took some really smart people to make it work right.

Thanks on the video's. We will be posting some new stuff soon

Hope that helps some.

www.EricLarsonRC.com
EricLarson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #48 (permalink)

Fuel Magnet :cool:

http://eastcoastextremehelis.com/eld...%20magnett.htm
Scrub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2005, 03:32 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Eric L.: Thank´s for your super answars

Have been studied the picture some more:

I really like the Servo Setup (Visually and due to the Servo cables) on the Fury Extreme, because no servocables has to run to the other end of the helicopter, and outside the Frameside.

On the new Stratus there is going cable to the Tail and Elev servo ,,,,,,,
I can see you have mounted the cables directly to the frames – without using any “rubber” (Spiralflex – don’t know if you understand this word, cause it´s a Danish word? )
------------------------------------------------------
Regarding servo setup: I guess that servo interactions is less on the Stratus (???) :?:
-----------------------------------------------------
I don’t see the “upper rubber canopy support”. :?: :?:
On the Startus the Gyro is placed up there, is there good space between the gyro and the Canopy :?:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This “Fuel magnet” sounds like a good idea… :idea: ….I will check it out.

PS: Can´t wait to see some wore videos of you and the stratus…. :glasses2:
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

The servo setup improves linkage geometry and the C.G of the model. The rear servo's have to be there, so the wires will need to be routed on the frames.

I don't use the wire wraps. I found a long time ago that most wire wraps damage wires more than they protect them. The carbon frames are smooth on the outside so there is no reason the wires should be damaged. I install fuel tube or some other rubber where the wires run over the sides of the frames to prevent cutting the wires. You will also notice that my wires are "loose" in the front. I like the wires to be secure but free to move around. I have seen too many models crashed due to tight servo wire installs and the wires get unplugged in flight. Also tight wires and wire wrap often stressed the solder joints on the servo board and at the connector ends.

There is no need for a canopy support. The canopy will be secured with 4 canopy screws (Tempest style) and not the pop on grommets like the extreme. With 4 solid mount points, there is no need for the support in the front. I actually have never used the pop on rear grommets and always used 4 screws. I never have installed one of those supports on the front of the frames.

There is enough space for everything. The only thing that runs a bit close is where receiver when mounted on the top of the radio tray. There is plenty of room though.

www.EricLarsonRC.com
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Eric Larson,

That sounds great
I will strongly concidering to upgrade my Extreme - at least if/when it hits the ground :wink:

Knud Pedersen
DENMARK
Old 05-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #52 (permalink)

Eric I must have missed the release date of the full kit..I read here that the upgrades will be available in mid may but nothing was said about the full kit.... I have ordered the full kits and am patiently waiting their release.. my birds are wore slam out from the sand and the hours on them.... So upgrading is not an option.... and I have broken frame sets and yes they are tough as hell...I mangled every channel in my Tempest in the last crash really couldn't expect the frames to live thru that... but theres nothing finer then MA engineering.
Dean
Bonsai is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dean, ya I have been there Some crashes are sure worse than others.

I really can not say for sure. I know Tim and the crew at MA are working very hard to get everything together to put kits out the door. They are still in the final stages of the instruction manual and finalizing a few minor things on the model. Other than that there are parts on the way and I think when everything enters the shop they will start shipping kits. On a side note, the instructions are all new for MA. Due to popular demand they are picture based and will include much less text. I am excited to see how they turn out.

This is purely a guess, but I would think around 1 months time before there are kits in stores. Again, that is really a guess so it could be a bit more or possibly less.

Sorry I am not more help.

www.EricLarsonRC.com
Old 05-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #54 (permalink)

Close enough Eric...Thanks
Dean
Bonsai is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in