Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I buy an MA?

Okay, so the title should have most of you saying YES!, but what should I get?
I know where there is a Stratus on the shelf waiting to be bought-not sure of the version...is there different ones, other than OS YS-this one's an OS.
Also, the same shop has Fury Tempest and Fury Extremes. I downloaded a Stratus manual, and man that thing is pretty intricate! Which is not daunting, but compared to that, Align helis are easy to build in comparison!
Everyone loves the new hotness! Miniature Aircraft is not the new hotness-or is it? I know they have been around a long time(after a lot of research!), so what should I consider?
I know I will need a lot more special tools!
Opinions and suggestions would be awesome!
SAB - 700 Night Setup--------700 Competition
nightstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You should certainly consider it. From your examples, you just listed the larger glow-powered machines. What about the Fury 55, Furion 6....Spectra gassers? Interested in those also? MA has quite a variety.

They're all excellent machines. The Fury 90-size line is a bit aged ( and I have 2; love them ) but you'll have to look VERY hard to find someone that can outfly that airframe.

Stratus...yep...same... they're the newer model of 90-sized machines. I have 2. I have a regular Stratus, and a BW high-ratio Stratus. They are very very fine machines. They are a "builders" kind of heli, but hey, we're modelers, right? Personally, I love working on my MA machines. Made right here in the USA and you can bet within minutes you can have someone at MA to talk to if you need something, either on the forums or via phone. Same with the MA pilots on the forums. Lots of help here. It really doesn't get much better than that.
Regarding the builds, the current 90s (Fury series and Stratus) aren't so bad. It's fun. Now, the new Fury 55 was the easiest, fastest and most fun kit that I've built. It was really a pleasure.

MA is always "in the hotness", I think. Maybe not in the headlines, but always a machine that turns heads. While they don't release machines every 2 weeks, you can bet the ones released last decade are still flying and, most importantly, still supported. I'm one of those folks that could care less what this or that "pro" is flying, or what is on the front cover of <insert favorite heli publication>. He's not building/setting up/repairing/maintaining my machines...I am. Furthermore, I can go buy a 10 year old (or older) MA airframe from the classifieds, and still get parts for it. It's awesome.

I know it seems like I'm some sort of MA cheerleader, but the truth is I really enjoy their machines. There's plenty of other folks around that will tell you the same..MA quality is unmatched.

Edit: I'll qualify that as having bought and flown CRAP a few times before. I've been flying R/C models since '89 and I have plenty of crap buying stories. Yes, I've fallen into the same trap that most of us have....save money on the airframe, etc. and all will be well. Unfortunately, that's as far from the truth as it is imagined. You're much better off INVESTING in something of quality, rather than price or popularity.

So what SHOULD you get? That's always hard, because it depends (always does, doesn't it?). It always depends on what you can buy the Fury for, vs the Stratus, how is it configured, is it a deal to YOU, etc. It always depends. I don't think you could go wrong with either, though.

And remember, NSDQ

Edit-again! -> Oh! and MinAir does have a new 90 in the works. Bobby Watts and the team have been testing it for a few years now. It looks kinda like a scaled up Fury 55, airframe wise. I can't remember the estimated release date, but I want to say it'll be around in a year or so. Maybe sooner. I don't work for MA so don't hold me to that release info. It is definitely something to keep an eye on.

-Joey

Last edited by head_node; 09-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: more info
head_node is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Double ditto for what Joey said ..

Get whichever suits your flying style....as long as it's an MA.. you'll love it ...
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, Peter you have a lot of X-Cell helis! All still flying?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

head_node-
Thanks for the input! All the things you said are about where I'm at with it. Like MA being a builders heli-that's what I want. I'm thinking about the Fury 55-but I really like 90 size helis. The Stratus I know of that is sitting at the Hobby Shop, I don't know if it's the high ratio or not- I'm pretty sure it's not the Bobby Watts edition......does the high ratio=BW?

I may just look at the 55 as being my next project. I like nitro!
I also want to look at different electronics too-Maybe JR servos/gyro?
Thanks again Joey

NSDQ
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No kiddin' Brian! Peter has a boatload of X-Cell machines...I'm anxiously awaiting his answer as well...my bet is that they are all still flying...

NightStalker, no problem, glad you could find my rambling somewhat useful. I'll have to apologize for being long winded...my girlfriend had some dang girl-drama on TV, and typing loudly and quickly was the only way I could survive.

From what I understand, and I'm no know-it-all, the high-ratio Stratus is the BW edition, but it also has the frame stiffeners on it (I call mine the "Up-Armored" Stratus). It looks cool as hell. You won't have any problems with either version of the Stratus, if that's what you choose. When I fly it, it's my favorite...then when I go to messing around with the other...well it's my favorite. It's an endless cycle, but a good one to be in.

Personally, I'm a JR kinda guy. Although I prefer Futaba gyros. I've just had better luck and consistency with them. I've got my eye on the 720 right now..that thing looks awesome (gyro and governor in one unit). However, like everything else, your mileage may vary.

Keep us updated with the path that you choose! Good luck, and skip a few nights on River Street to save up for the Stratus

All The Way!

-Joey
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

First - As you can see, I'm here on a Friday night! Though going out is fun...flying is priority!

I couldn't find the 720 - I was looking at a Futaba 701 Gyro/Gov. That looks pretty good.

I'll just slowly get all the pieces together

and if anyone else has advice, please let me know!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dang, you're right!! 701 is what I meant. Nice catch, and thanks for the correction.

-Joey
Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjames111 View Post
Wow, Peter you have a lot of X-Cell helis! All still flying?

Yep , all flying ..

there's a X-cell 30, all standard ,and a scratch built Westland Wessex with X-cell 40 mechanics as well ...

It's an addiction !
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the Min Air & be done with it....you'll see.
I just got my first Min Air machine a little over a week ago. I got it from my good friend Head_Node. It's the Tempest 3D. I plan to start test flights Monday

I recall the first time I got to see an Min Air machine in person, it was Head_Node's. I knew right then & there that not only did I want a 90 size heli... I wanted a Min Air helicopter. The quality is second to none & parts are plenty. I understand the support is great too.

Good luck with your decision. I trust that If or when you become a Min Air owner, you'll be impressed. Never the less, keep us in posted on your thoughts when the time comes. I figure I'll post my test flight results & a picture or two sometime next week. So wish me luck guys.

aerosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yep , all flying ..
Peter, that is just about a kilometer from kick-arse!!!!!! WOW!
You must have an X-Cell museum !! That is just awesome.....

Quote:
I figure I'll post my test flight results & a picture or two sometime next week. So wish me luck guys.
Stephen, good luck!! and please do! We'd love to see your progress!

-Joey
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well... I have decided to get the Stratus HR!

It'll be a fairly long process though, so I won't be posting pictures or flight results anytime soon!

I know everyone here will be helpful, if I need it-which I probably will!

What do the Stratus guys do for the canopy????
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well... I have decided to get the Stratus HR
!

Quote:
What do the Stratus guys do for the canopy????
what do you mean?
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Knud - Because it comes unpainted. A lot of Stratus canopies I've seen in pictures have a flame type paint job. I've begun to think of it as a signature look. I just don't want to ruin my canopy if and when I decide to paint it. I'm really just looking for little peace of mind-I do want an awesome looking canopy though.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I painted the canopy myself.

You could also buy a painted canopy, from ex. AceHelis, Insane Canopy or others

On RR AceHelis have made step by step on how to paint canopy . it is great
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t5.../?p=4694598#RR
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have one of the early model X-Cell 40 machines (bent aluminum frame). It has been crashed so many times i can't count them. I've only replaced one main shaft, i think, and never a feather shaft or any of the bearings although I've replaced the frames a couple of times. Only timely maintenance. You can't kill the thing. I had a hard time when I bought it. I wanted a 60 X-Cell, but couldn't afford it, so I bought the 40. NO regrets.
kenh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in