Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Tarot ZYX 3 Axis gyro setup with software help please

Hi I am new to this hobby and I need help trying to set up my Tarot 450pro V2 FBL Helicopter kit build. I have completed building the helicopter but I don't know about setting up the tail with the gyro software when I connect the gyro to the laptop using USB the device goes through it start up mode. Once the blue led light is on I start the software I go through the tabs on the top I get to the page which is monitor page on step 5 I don't know what this is for I have tried to flip the switches on my Spektrum DX6i transmitter but it doesn't do anything at all what this for?. I have already level the swashplate and all four servo are going the right direction. Now on the tail setup page step 3 I don't know what I need to do now I was messing around with the advance menu and under Aux Channel Function I change this to condition 1 the gyro led change to red led and the tail slider went towards the boom and it was binding so I tried to use all my switches on my tx but it didn't stop binding so I unplug my battery from my ESC so it would stop after 1 minutes I plug my battery to the ESC and it started up again with the Blue led light on

Also I don't no what Heading hold mean nor rate mode means I have heard people say this and read some forums pages what is it I need help if the pic are not being displayed I will do them again thanks for any help

mirrorcarp27

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarot ZYX software setup.....jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	547655

Name:	Tarot ZYX software setup...jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	547656

Name:	Tarot ZYX software setup.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	547657
mirrorcarp27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

From your questions it appears you need some instruction from a knowledgeable person, or read more information.

The text at the top of the monitor screen says what to do. The monitor page is basically for stick setup. The gyro switch is the only switch that may cause a change on the AVCS bar.

On the tail setup page the servo trim is how you adjust the servo arm to 90 degrees, and the tail limit a and b is how you prevent binding as you move the rudder stick to the left and right.

It is not necessary and I would suggest not to get into the advanced menus. They are for fine tuning after you are an expert.

Heading hold attempts to keep the tail and the heli direction constant even if the wind is blowing sideways. Rate mode allows the wind to blow the tail around. Most people always use heading hold.

It is not practical to explain basic things on the forum. Again, I would suggest you get some hands-on help and explanation, OR follow some instructional videos.
Finless Bobs tutorial may be a good place to start:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliter View Post
From your questions it appears you need some instruction from a knowledgeable person, or read more information.

The text at the top of the monitor screen says what to do. The monitor page is basically for stick setup. The gyro switch is the only switch that may cause a change on the AVCS bar.

On the tail setup page the servo trim is how you adjust the servo arm to 90 degrees, and the tail limit a and b is how you prevent binding as you move the rudder stick to the left and right.

It is not necessary and I would suggest not to get into the advanced menus. They are for fine tuning after you are an expert.

Heading hold attempts to keep the tail and the heli direction constant even if the wind is blowing sideways. Rate mode allows the wind to blow the tail around. Most people always use heading hold.

It is not practical to explain basic things on the forum. Again, I would suggest you get some hands-on help and explanation, OR follow some instructional videos.
Finless Bobs tutorial may be a good place to start:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Thanks for reply I have done steps 1 to 4 already but I don't no how to do step 5 on the monitor page I have tried all switches on tx but it doesn't do anything should it move the tail sider

Thanks for telling me about Heading hold and rate mode I now understand what it means

what switch should it be on the tx for the gyro?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The gyro switch is labeled R on page 5 of the dx6i manual i have. Flap/Gyro top left front area.

First setup the values in the transmitter. under gyro there are two values 0: and 1:
Flip the gyro switch back and forth and you see either 0: highlighted or 1: highlighted.
Set a value of 60 in the 0: and a value of 40 in the 1: you will tune these later when hovering.
For now, when you switch the gyro switch back and forth you should see the values in the Tail gain bar graph, and zyx red led for 0 (heading hold) and blue for 1 (rate mode)

Edit: forgot to mention on the page with roll and pitch gains (one of the first ones).
You should set the total tail gain to 100. That way the transmitter settings (0: and 1: ) correlate directly to the values in the zyx rather than some fraction.
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliter View Post
The gyro switch is labeled R on page 5 of the dx6i manual i have. Flap/Gyro top left front area.

First setup the values in the transmitter. under gyro there are two values 0: and 1:
Flip the gyro switch back and forth and you see either 0: highlighted or 1: highlighted.
Set a value of 60 in the 0: and a value of 40 in the 1: you will tune these later when hovering.
For now, when you switch the gyro switch back and forth you should see the values in the Tail gain bar graph, and zyx red led for 0 (heading hold) and blue for 1 (rate mode)

Edit: forgot to mention on the page with roll and pitch gains (one of the first ones).
You should set the total tail gain to 100. That way the transmitter settings (0: and 1: ) correlate directly to the values in the zyx rather than some fraction.
What can I say thanks for your help much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on

mirrorcarp27
Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorcarp27 View Post
What can I say thanks for your help much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on

mirrorcarp27
This is the first page of the ZYX software I am using the beginner tab are these settings ok to use or do I change these to your setting?

I have now set up the gyro in the tx and yes it's working how you said it would when I flip the gyro switch on tx the tail slider move back to the middle. I can see I have red/blue led lights on gyro when I flip the switch before it didn't work at all

Name:	zyx software first page.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	547731

mirrorcarp27
Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "Condition 1" and "Condition 2" buttons allow you to program in two separate setups. For example, you could set up starting from the "Soft 3D" preset for condition 1, and "Hard 3D" for condition 2. However, some people have reported an issue with the ZYX spontaneously switching to the other condition. So, it's best to set and verify that both conditions are identical, so that disaster doesn't strike due to an unexpected swap.

I recommend simply starting with the Soft 3D preset. If you're using firmware 3.5 or later, you should go into the advanced menu and reduce your pitch and roll cyclic D-gains to no more than 20. 10 works great for me.

Use the recommended settings for your DX6i in the ZYX manual for expo and gyro values. After you have some experience you may want to turn the aileron and elevator expo down to 25% or 20%. I like 25% myself.

Concerning the tail, when in rate mode the gyro will merely compensate for changes in torque to keep the nose of the helicopter steady. In heading hold mode it will attempt to maintain heading. HH mode is generally the best, and most people only use rate mode for initial setup of the tail so that it holds steady in a hover, which is a crucial step to ensure the tail performs well.

Go to this link and scroll half way down the page for a better explanation of HH vs. rate mode.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-gyro.html
Nihilistic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilistic View Post
The "Condition 1" and "Condition 2" buttons allow you to program in two separate setups. For example, you could set up starting from the "Soft 3D" preset for condition 1, and "Hard 3D" for condition 2. However, some people have reported an issue with the ZYX spontaneously switching to the other condition. So, it's best to set and verify that both conditions are identical, so that disaster doesn't strike due to an unexpected swap.

I recommend simply starting with the Soft 3D preset. If you're using firmware 3.5 or later, you should go into the advanced menu and reduce your pitch and roll cyclic D-gains to no more than 20. 10 works great for me.

Use the recommended settings for your DX6i in the ZYX manual for expo and gyro values. After you have some experience you may want to turn the aileron and elevator expo down to 25% or 20%. I like 25% myself.

Concerning the tail, when in rate mode the gyro will merely compensate for changes in torque to keep the nose of the helicopter steady. In heading hold mode it will attempt to maintain heading. HH mode is generally the best, and most people only use rate mode for initial setup of the tail so that it holds steady in a hover, which is a crucial step to ensure the tail performs well.

Go to this link and scroll half way down the page for a better explanation of HH vs. rate mode.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-gyro.html
ok thanks I have little experience in flying so not sure should I go to 3d soft or should I stick with the beginner settings I have only had some experience flying using Accurc Simulator which is good as it has a work shop so I can check if I have the servos going the right way and see how they work moving the swashplate I have crashed loads of times already and the good thing with simulators it's not costing me in repair bills lol

mirrorcarp27

Last edited by mirrorcarp27; 11-06-2014 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: spell mistake missing s of word
Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Soft 3D setting is fairly tame. I've never actually used the beginner preset, so I can't compare the two from experience. If you get good enough flying similar helicopter models in your simulator, you should be fine with the Soft 3D setting. Definitely practice on the simulator at least until you've mastered hovering in all orientations and normal upright fast forward flight before attempting to fly your actual model.
Nihilistic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The beginner preset has a pretty soft and vague tail. I would recommend the Soft 3D as a starting point as well. You can always drop the agility settings, the radio D/R, or add some radio expo if you feel it's too quick.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
The beginner preset has a pretty soft and vague tail. I would recommend the Soft 3D as a starting point as well. You can always drop the agility settings, the radio D/R, or add some radio expo if you feel it's too quick.
Ok thanks I will change this to Soft 3D if I get any more problems when I take the helicopter for maiden test fly I will me back looking for a fix just done all wiring got to do Collective Pitch set up soon

Mirrorcarp27

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in