Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cause of Failure? - Tail Related

Hey guys,

4th tank on this Velo 90 after getting everything trimmed out and starting to lean out on the motor I decided to bash on it a bit after making sure everything was good go to go on some figure 8's and pattern flying.

I took off and immediately noticed the tail did a quick kick to the right, and immediately knew something wasn't right, with little to no tail authority, I brought it back in to me and about 4 feet off deck I lost tail control, hit throttle hold and managed to put it down with a set of broken main blades and tail blades, all in all not so bad considering the flight before was throwing some tic-tocs at it.

On postmortem inspection I noticed two things, 1. Two of the tail rod guides had broken (I was under the impression these were the most recently revised pieces, maybe not) 2. The lower tail gear on the front case was stripped on over half of it.

So, I've got two theories -

1. The rod guides broke at take off and caused the pursuant loss of tail authority and the tail gears just happened to be a byproduct of the mild boom strike and broken tail blades.

or

2. The tail gear stripped halfway and was mildly engaging until right before I got it down and the broken pushrod guides are only a byproduct of the small boom strike. Keep in mind that the boom strike was so soft that you couldn't even see where the boom hit, just a small hint of being untrue to straight.

Thoughts? I'd like for #1 to be the cause, as #2 is more unexplainable, but possible.
eric cartman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I should probably add, within the second flight of this thing I had almost made up my mind to sell my remaining fleet and pick up another 90. Which I still just might. One sweet flying machine.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Outrage is now recommending using 5 control rod supports, they are also coming out with all new bevel gears.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you have 3 guides fitted?

If so, the pushrod wire would still have some minimal support with the remaining guide.Although not optimum, you would [should??] still have tail control even with the wire dangling a bit so I would be surprised that you would have lost total tail control.

The 24T gear on the counter shaft stripping is not common. However, I noticed that when assembling mine for the first time you need to be careful to not tighten the securing screws too tightly as these can distort the gear and even cause it to crack if you tighten the screws too much.
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, I was running 3 guides, all broke except for the last one closest to the tail case. I would expect some tail control, which I had until right before it plowed in. I immediately knew something wasn't right when a quick pitch pump resulted in a sloppy tail turn, which is when I started to bring it back in.

Although, it didn't ever spin completely out of control, I think plowing it in was a result of the sloppy control that was left and the tail kicking out ~180* a few feet off the deck with a panic set down.

As and aside, I think I've finally solved the issue of tight gears in the tail box, the bevel gear on the output shaft doesn't have enough clearance for the side case, when it's all bolted together it causes the gear mesh to sit too tightly. A light sanding of the flat end on the table gives a perfect mesh.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Outrage is now recommending using 5 control rod supports, they are also coming out with all new bevel gears.
never mind watched the videos -wow they did alot of redesigning(updates) may just buy a new one if it comes with the all the updates
Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I got my newly revised tail rod guides. A bit beefier. I guess one of the newest and best revisions to the pushrod guides in not drilling the holes out though.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cartman View Post
Well I got my newly revised tail rod guides. A bit beefier. I guess one of the newest and best revisions to the pushrod guides in not drilling the holes out though.
Hi i got my new velo90 the other day,and am about to build it.Can you tell me,how i can recognized if its newly revised tail rod or the old one. Maybe you can share a photo of it, greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

More than a week, and seems nobody knows what im looking for?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Are you talking about the guides ? If you are the new ones have a small fillet between the ring that wraps around the boom and the vertical spoke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in