Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mks servo

Flight #3 with the warp "beautiful flying heli" the tail let go in flight. Spun like a top, hit t/h and in it went. Next to no damage. Pulled the ds95I and here's what I saw . clearly has to be Defective

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355799727952.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	375121   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355799749170.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	375122  
brianr058 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either it was defective.
And I have well over 5000 flights on one I just sent into Thomas at MKS USA for replacement (that an esc bec failure burn't up), with perfect gears.
Or, the tail was binding! Which might be much more likely. Mine went through dozens and dozens of different tails I tested for guys. And I still have other 95i's on my other helis that I have abused also without failure. They are really really hard to break.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

How recent are those servos? If you look through HF and RCG there's a guy who broke 3 sets of his as well. He believed it to be a bad batch of gears.

I have 3 x DS92A+ for my cyclics which use the exact same gears and hope they do not shear off suddenly.
yhchoong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Servo's are brand new "3 flights" tail is silky smooth! No rookie build here

Galaxy Note 2
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch. Glad the warp is fine though, would be frustrating to lose a nice heli over such an unexpected incident. Hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty. If not, MKS USA sells the final output gears separately though I rather get the full set for a few bucks more.

Also, when greasing the replacement gears, take note that molybdenum disulfide grease is used. Or moly grease for short. Not the usual Hitec/Futaba clear silicon servo grease. MKS USA also sells the original MKS branded moly multifunction grease, I got myself a tube just for compatibility. It's expensive for such a small tube but since so little is required the tube lasts a lifetime.

The final output gear is also a tight friction fit into the pot, it pulls right out with some force but be careful not to get grease on the key and keyway. Everything is tiny.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is weird, all i can say
Those servos have been ultra reliable for me
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. I'll be ordering a few parts that were scraped and a swash plate "inner ball arm bent" and blades.

Galaxy Note 2
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 95i was bad right out of the box.

Glad it wasn't in the air to find out.
brent.downey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bad batch, was a problem when they first came( outshaft shearing).Back then they said it was a safety feature to protect the gears.Haven't heard of this happening since they fixed the issue.
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll just hope I got a bad one!

Galaxy Note 2
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Brian for hijacking this thread a little, but are any of you having slop in the geartrain of your DS92A+/DS95? I can feel a little gear backlash when rocking the servo arms back and forth by hand. Can also hear it too since it makes a tiny clicking sound when the teeth hit each other. Each of my DS92A+ displays varying amounts of backlash. My DS8910A+ is entirely slop-free however.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My ds 95 had a considerable amount of back lash, after almost a year of use. I changed the three with full gears set, and they got (almost) as good as new.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
My ds 95 had a considerable amount of back lash, after almost a year of use. I changed the three with full gears set, and they got (almost) as good as new.
Dang, I am impressed. You must certainly be flying much harder than I am. Even though I have been pushing 500 class 420mm blades around at 3200, mine are all still tight. Well, they were till I had to send both sets in to Thomas at MKS USA due to Castle esc/bec failures. Took out 7 of my servos.

And sorry here if you thought I was inferring that you didn't know how to setup your heli Brian. Just trying to rule out the obvious. And lots of guys throughout the past years have done some real moves setting their helis up.

I knew the guy who had the 3 MksDs95 servo failures on his cyclics in the 450 pro. And spent time talking to Thomas at MKS about that. There is another side to this story.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Dang, I am impressed. You must certainly be flying much harder than I am. Even though I have been pushing 500 class 420mm blades around at 3200, mine are all still tight. Well, they were till I had to send both sets in to Thomas at MKS USA due to Castle esc/bec failures. Took out 7 of my servos.

And sorry here if you thought I was inferring that you didn't know how to setup your heli Brian. Just trying to rule out the obvious. And lots of guys throughout the past years have done some real moves setting their helis up.

I knew the guy who had the 3 MksDs95 servo failures on his cyclics in the 450 pro. And spent time talking to Thomas at MKS about that. There is another side to this story.
Flying harder than some, softer than others.
But i fly it a lot, around 25-35 flights per week.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries, I'm so meticulous about my helis if something gets scratched it has to be replaced even in perfect working condition! Alot of my buddies think I'm ill and need help

Galaxy Note 2
Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr058 View Post
No worries, I'm so meticulous about my helis if something gets scratched it has to be replaced even in perfect working condition! Alot of my buddies think I'm ill and need help

Galaxy Note 2

I'll take all your scratched "Junk"
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My new servos fell gritty, is this normal?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
My new servos fell gritty, is this normal?
I get the same on my ds92a+ servos. Gritty, to the point of being notchy. I've seen a post about it somewhere, no real conclusion other then replacing the gears. Apparently the new gears felt less gritty. I haven't flown them yet and have no idea if it will be noticeable or if its normal or not.
Kendo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That sounds like you may have been reading about my experiences, then 3 gritty new DS92A+'s. They actually move fine, under power, and the gears all looked good to me, after opening all 3. MKS said they were OK

Had to replace one set of gears after a crash, the replacement set is nice and smooth. But fortunately no problems with any of them. Fast and reliable.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not saying your servos are good or bad, but metal geared servos often feel gritty when moving them by hand. In operation, they should feel/seem normal.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in