Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was wondering how you guys oil your motor bearings?
The bearing at the top of the can is easy to get too, but the one near the pinion is shielded by the motor mount and pinion. I have to remove the motor mount and pinion to oil the bearing. Seems a lot to do every 6 flights as recomended by scorpion to lube the bearings.
Is this what you do also? Or have I missed a trick?

Last edited by smsodhi; 07-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: sp
smsodhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just try get it in there
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't oil them, it's easy, cause I don't use Scorpion! Yet... though the 4540 has such huge bearing I don't think it matters as much. The 4525 that's laying around from Rob's TDR might go into the Diabolo so I'll have to start oiling.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think having the pyro mount makes it harder as I have a flange where the bearing was. May order the normal mount.

On another maintenance note I recently noticed a very slight up and down play in the main head. I replaced the 0.1 shim for a 0.2 shim on the base of the mainshaft and all is good.
Dont know if anyone else has had this?
Anyway something else to keep an eye on I suppose.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regarding shimming and more of a build thing than maintenance: I started the build 2 days ago and noticed the bearing blocks attached to the right frame only do have a bit of up and down flex where the left frame should go, so the play in both shafts could be right or wrong and you wouldn't notice until you put the second frame on. My main shaft didn't need any shim at all, which was kind of strange. Even though the manual doesn't mention any shim needed right away they do come in that parts bag. The intermediate worked ok with the 0.5 and 0.2 recommended in the manual. I'll know when I put both frames together.

I also notice a clac clac sound between the main gear and the intermediate shaft's pinion. Everything is very smooth, but with no load the gear does this clac clac every now and then, similar to the sound the TDR does on spool down depending on all the gear meshes.

Just two thoughts.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only mentioned it as a maintenance item, and I hesitated before posting as I felt like you that it could be construed as a build thing.
There was no play at all after I finished the build and I needed the 0.1 shim on the mainshaft.
Now after around 120 flights I have started to notice a very slight play, and it had to be slight, as a 0.2 shim corrected it.
Would wear in the bearings cause this?
I just thought I'd put it out there.

Hope your enjoying the build and I look forward to your impressions on flying it.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's just normal wear. Nothing to be alarmed about.

I added a 0.1 shim to the intermediate shaft after about 70 flights, as the gear had developed slight play up/ down. Mainshaft is still tight.. 114 flights total.

Got 10 flights with the Ultimate, holding a little back, as I'm also running in some new SLS lipo's, but pushed it harder today.

WOW!! It's awesome!
Why did I even bother with the 4035 Xera...
The 4525 is a much better match for this heli, now I know.

I plan on not oiling motorbearings at all. Sounds too fiddly.
We'll see how it goes...
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

So that's two of us.

Yea, I love the 4525! So much more fun than the the pyro in the Diabolo. I have sent off my Pyro to be rewound.

My Pyro failure was apparently (according to Kontronik) due to bad bearings.

I spoke to Gerd about the 750 blades and they are still testing the blades and getting the weight right. He said a couple of weeks. They are specifically designed for the Diabolo as they are 746mm in length to avoid the tail.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had up and down movement of the main shaft from the clamp of the gear not holding
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really like the Pyro in the TDR, perfect for it, but I'm not a fan of the smaller bearings.
Thinking I'd better change 'em before mine need a rewind too...
Sounds like fun though...

Thanks for the blade info, ready to hit the pay button the minute I recieve the PP-link.
Omitted the red tail pulley, ordered a set of 110's instead, just in case.
Hope there's clearance...

Fingers crossed that they will weigh around the 200 gr. mark.

Hopefully I'll have the answers in 2-3 weeks time.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think the Pyro is perfect for the TDR but the Diabolo sings with something a little more powerful like the 4525 Ultimate or 4530 LE.

I too found no play in the intermediate shaft on build but needed a 0.1mm shaft later.

Marcos - the tail boom clamps need care - tighten before tightening the side bolts that go into the boom mounts and it seems quite critical getting the boom clap tightness right. Metal touching too tight - needs about 0.1mm gap remaining - even so I have had to retighten every 20-30 flights
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks John, I just finished that part of the build and yes, as I was tightening the clamps I figured I'd better loosen at least one of each clamp's side bolts. I ended up with about 0,1mm gap as I had seen in pictures on another thread.

My impression on the tail case was that it is a bit more complicated than needed. The wedges inside that do tighten at an angle if you don't hold them, the way you put the pulley in with a closed tail case and a belt already locked at the front, not comfortable. It does look very solid once finished. My kit is missing a grub screw for the tail pulley since it now has two grub screws and I had only one. I think I am spoiled by the TDR which is a walk in the park in it's tail build.

The mounting of the second frame having to only then see if the intermediate gear is placed right is also weird. I figured the final shimming veredict would be when putting the other frame side. Luckily all shimming was perfect and the gear was absolutely level and even spaced. The aluminum trays at the back have some tough spots for the nuts on the inside. I managed to screw them pretty fast with a lot of care and no nut ended flying off to some obscure corner of the room...

I was also pretty lucky with belt tightness. After moving the boom forward to put the tail pulley in, I moved it back again and left the belt as tight as I thought it should go. Then on the side damper step I placed it on 3rd from the back and it ended perfectly in the middle so the belt was absolutely perfect.

The finished upper frame is as stiff as it gets, really nice engineering. Sorry if the maintenance thread is slowly becoming a build thread, it's just comments I wanted to make to you guys and I am not planning on doing a build thread. I have a lot of pictures of every step and post them on FB every night. If any of you has not friended me look me up as f**k.com/marcosl. I have pictues of my TDRs, Logos, Voodoo, Sylphide, Kasamas, crash repairs, motors, canopies and now the Diabolo build. A few minutes ago Robert Gorham liked my latest pictures so maybe he is liking the Diabolo!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbthumb75 View Post
I really like the Pyro in the TDR, perfect for it, but I'm not a fan of the smaller bearings.
Thinking I'd better change 'em before mine need a rewind too...
Sounds like fun though...

Thanks for the blade info, ready to hit the pay button the minute I recieve the PP-link.
Omitted the red tail pulley, ordered a set of 110's instead, just in case.
Hope there's clearance...

Fingers crossed that they will weigh around the 200 gr. mark.

Hopefully I'll have the answers in 2-3 weeks time.
When you get your blades think about ordering the Tenax also. Just installed it on the canopy yesterday. Really nice system for securing the canopy. No more pins. Easy as clip on clip off.

I have the red tail pulley. Haven't installed it yet. Just looks so pretty
Getting it set up for snap.

On another note I'm also thinking 16 tooth pinion, red tail pulley 750 blades. 1500-1700 rpm, my rewound pyro with a slightly lower KV as a different set up.
Hmmm maybe I "need" a second Diabolo. Or a snappy logo 700 and super smooth 750 Diabolo.

Last edited by smsodhi; 07-29-2012 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Made a point clearer
smsodhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say TDR.

I read something, somewhere, about the red pulley not being good for higher hs., too much tailspeed.
Can't remember rpm's exactly, but think it was above 1750-1800, or so.
Belive it was written by Gerd.

I'm aiming for around 2000 in idle3, hence the 17T and 110's.

Thinking about it, several fly 753/105 without any reported issues, so 746/110 should be fine.

I saw the Tenax in the shop, but as of now, I'm happy with my thumbscrew setup, so no reason to change.
For now...
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

The limit for the red pulley is 2000 rpm. I ordered one with my kit because I don't plan on using more than that headspeed yet. Gerd make sure to be clear on this before arranging the pulley swap. The kit finally came with the regular pulley, at least the sides are clear alu and I didn't count the teeth, i should, but I'll be using 110s so...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, 2000 max, thanks.

Someone posted at Rc-heli that max rpm for the 750's is 2100, supposedly written on the box, but now they seem to talk about 1800 being max...
Google have not nailed their translator quite yet...

Smallest pinion I have, is 17T. If 16T proves to be better suited, I will order the tail pulley too.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gerd emailed me about this and I have looked for it but I think I deleted it.
Anyway he stated it is for lower RPM, under 1700. That's how I remember it, but could be mistaken.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it is. Limit is 2000 but it actually improves tail authority at lower rpm. He really says improving tail for hard 3D piro maneuvers as long as you don't go over 2000.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK , you guys probably know this, but just in case, as it caught me out.
If you have a crash, and the feathering spindle needs changing, you should change the dampning inserts 0586 as well. MIne looked perfect after crash.

I noticed a very slight play in the head at the field. I stopped flying .
I called up Gerd and he advised that this part should always be replaced in a crash.

Happy flying
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should I be oil/greasing any of the bearings?

I noticed that the belt guide bearings have thrown a bit of grease out onto the inside of the frame.
The tail shaft bearings were looking a bit dirty, prolly from the dirty auto's Ive been forced to do.
Some grease has come out of the tail grips as my tail blades had some streaks on them.
Kontronik say not to oil the motor bearings, scorpion say oil every 5 flights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in