Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing too is when you tighten the tail case sides, you have to be careful how you do it. I found that if I just tightened them, due to the slight play between the screws and plate holes you could make the bearings side load slightly. I was able to correct this by pressing the tail case down on a perfectly flat surface, keeping the side plates perfectly aligned, and not letting it move as I tightened the sides. The main thing is that when the side plates are tight, you need to spin the tail shaft and check for bearing side load or notchiness. The tail shaft should run butter smooth. If it doesn't you need to re-tighten the tail case sides until you get it smooth or it will wear the bearings faster
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
Another thing too is when you tighten the tail case sides, you have to be careful how you do it. I found that if I just tightened them, due to the slight play between the screws and plate holes you could make the bearings side load slightly. I was able to correct this by pressing the tail case down on a perfectly flat surface, keeping the side plates perfectly aligned, and not letting it move as I tightened the sides. The main thing is that when the side plates are tight, you need to spin the tail shaft and check for bearing side load or notchiness. The tail shaft should run butter smooth. If it doesn't you need to re-tighten the tail case sides until you get it smooth or it will wear the bearings faster
+1

The check for free spin should be done with belt off, to feel the bearings without interference.

It crossed my mind that when i built my Warp, i used a file to carefully grind a bit of plastic from the lip in the shaft pulley, to get that perfect and free spin.
Without doing this very slight grind, it was'nt bad but not perfect.
I like to give the shaft a good spin (only the shaft) with the finger tips, and see the shaft performing several revolutions. Then it's free and good to go.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think it hurts to get a bearing buddy and make sure theres grease in them, my latest warp build I greased every single bearing and a few had almost nothing in them
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you post a link to the bearing buddy that works on these small bearings?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant but you could search it and find it, its on the freak somewhere
Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchbore View Post
I don't think it hurts to get a bearing buddy and make sure theres grease in them, my latest warp build I greased every single bearing and a few had almost nothing in them
Grease is not the best option in a non-sealed bearing that is turning 10000rpm plus. The best way to lubricate a bearing like this is how I stated earlier in the post. Oil them every 5 flights or so with a drop or two of high speed bearing oil like Scorpion motor bearing oil or Trinity bearing oil
Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default bearing buddy

I grease them, spin them on a drill to remove excess, works good for me,last longer. also fjoe, use washers with small holes for small bearings with buddy if you get one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	498343  
Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I grease them, spin them on a drill to remove excess, works good for me,last longer. also fjoe, use washers with small holes for small bearings with buddy if you get one
You have to take them out to do that though and the grease will not lubricate very long as it is thrown out as the stock bearings are only shielded and not sealed. Grease is not ideal for this purpose. Trust me on this one, it is a proven theory. The tail bearings are turning at over 15000rpm with the 17 tooth tail pulley and 3200rpm head speed. Oil is the way to go on a high speed shielded bearing unless you want to take apart the tail and grease constantly Grease is best suited to low speed sealed bearings.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You have to take them out to do that though and the grease will not lubricate very long as it is thrown out as the stock bearings are only shielded and not sealed. Grease is not ideal for this purpose. Trust me on this one, it is a proven theory. The tail bearings are turning at over 15000rpm with the 17 tooth tail pulley and 3200rpm head speed. Oil is the way to go on a high speed shielded bearing unless you want to take apart the tail and grease constantly Grease is best suited to low speed sealed bearings.
I understand the theory, i hear what your saying. i fly all year and disassemble in the winter to check or replace my bearings and there is still grease in my bearings. works for me
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

throw some abec5 in the tail and be done with it
Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Yet another burst tail bearing

Quote:
I understand the theory, i hear what your saying. i fly all year and disassemble in the winter to check or replace my bearings and there is still grease in my bearings. works for me
The grease gets thrown to the sides of the bearing and is no longer lubricating after a while. The excess comes out as you probably see it oozing out the sides at first. You still find it in there as it is stuck in the cup of the back of the metal shields and is no longer doing anything. There is a reason high speed shielded bearings in almost all applications, even others then RC, call for oil. If you swap the bearings for non-contact sealed bearings then the grease will stay in from the factory and you don't need any grease. It's your heli and you can do as you please but, understand that you are not going to see the same service life unless you grease the bearings often or oil regularily.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tachead; 03-28-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
throw some abec5 in the tail and be done with it
For sure, I think I am going to order a nice set of Bocas for it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

High abecs are nonsense in helis. The possible cause i explained earlier. Safe your money and loctite the shaft with blue. It explodes due overheating
Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

for the warp tail....its absolutely necessary. ask me how i know!!

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk 4 because Tapatalk2 just vanished........
Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I tested my Warp last weekend and it flew like a champ. No burst bearings or any other issues.

The repair I made - while waiting the new parts to arrive - became quite ugly, but fully functional. I think the key here was to secure the shaft against the inner bearing races with a tiny drop of 242 threadlock. And apply a good deal of lube into the bearings.

The most impressive here is how the tail pulley shows signs of melting at the side of the bearing that failed in the last incident. Fortunately the pulley hasn't become warped with the excess heat.

Can't wait the new parts to arrive so my Warp can get back its nice look...

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do yourself a favour and use both metal tail side plates. It will save you a lot of grief in the future.

There's a reason Compass released and ships only the metal side plates now.

Last edited by Jeff_Barrett; 04-03-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
Well, I tested my Warp last weekend and it flew like a champ. No burst bearings or any other issues.

The repair I made - while waiting the new parts to arrive - became quite ugly, but fully functional. I think the key here was to secure the shaft against the inner bearing races with a tiny drop of 242 threadlock. And apply a good deal of lube into the bearings.

The most impressive here is how the tail pulley shows signs of melting at the side of the bearing that failed in the last incident. Fortunately the pulley hasn't become warped with the excess heat.

Can't wait the new parts to arrive so my Warp can get back its nice look...

Cheers!

Nice, its a Hybrid Warp tail
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Replacements are already on their way, this is really to be a short-lived solution. I won't wait it to fail before fixing it the right way.

Cheers!

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Another thing to check for is that the side plates are parallel to each other when mounted To the tail block. Otherwise the bearings will not run true. I carefully filed the tail block to true up the side plates, and then shaved the shoulders on the pulley down to fit perfectly between the bearings.
lowey79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in