Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Airtronics Radios > Airtronics Servos

Airtronics Servos Airtronics Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 94809 servo failure

I bought 3 94809s from AMainHobbies in April 2010 and have used them in a Outrage G5 heli for about 30 easy to moderate flights. Today, one of them behaved abnormally and caused a nasty crash. When I was about to land one foot high, the heli flipped over towards me like I had applied full aft. elevator. The heli almost hit me and did the chicken dance in front of me. After the crash, I tested the servos with a RDS800 radio and also with a Futaba 8FG; the elevator servo just goes to one of the extremes instead of centering and stays there buzzing loudly. The other 2 servos are fine.

Now I wonder what Airtronics can do for me. The faulty servo certainly hasn't lived up to the standard I've come to expect from Airtronics...
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why don't you email them and find out.
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I did email them and am waiting for an answer.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A guy from the service department got back to me and said that most likely the problem was with the circuit board or potentiometer in the servo. He also said that the servo is out of warranty and I should buy a new one as repairing it is not cost-effective.

In conclusion, Airtronics are not going to do anything for me. They didn't even say a "We are sorry to hear this". Considering how close I was to get seriously injured and also a totaled heli due to failure in equipment manufactured by them, a few kind words from them would have meant a lot.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update

Mike Greenshields from Airtronics and also their customer service contacted me and apologized. They will send me a replacement servo free of charge and will analyze the failed servo that I will send to them to figure out why it failed like it did.

I realise the servo is now 1.5 months out of its warranty time frame, however, considering how little I used it and what an easy life it had, and also what damages it caused, I believe offering a replacement free of charge was the right thing for Airtronics to do. Any company has more to gain than to lose by adopting a less rigid and a more proactive customer service.

Thank you Mike and Airtronics. This will make the repair bills easier to swallow.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be fair, the damages it caused are way out of the scope of the warranty. There's no way that any company can possibly hope to anticipate all the ways a servo is used or all of the myriad ways that a servo can fail or what flight attitude a model may be in when it succumbs. Replacing the servo was what I had in mind. Analyzing the failure mode of the servo is good business, IMHO.

TM
Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

TMoore, I did not ask nor expected Airtronics to do something about the damages. Equipment failure and associated damages are risks we all take in this hobby. Frustrating though when crashes and damages are caused by equipment that you would think would last longer. I hope they can figure out why the servo failed and take the appropriate measures. The 94809s are the best servos in this size that I've tried to date and the customer service did the right thing in the end.

Last edited by 3Dmuse; 06-16-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
TMoore, I did not ask nor expected Airtronics to do something about the damages. Equipment failure and associated damages are risks we all take in this hobby. Frustrating though when crashes and damages are caused by equipment that you would think would last longer. I hope they can figure out why the servo failed and take the appropriate measures. The 94809s are the best servos in this size that I've tried to date and the customer service did the right thing in the end.
I'm glad they did though and I'm sure you are too. At least that is something in the grand scheme.

Like I said, ya can't pick the time and date when this stuff decides to sh*t the bed.

TM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in