Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Some progress

Here's a little mock up of the build so far. Head is assembled & clutch hub. Waiting for some miscellaneous stuff to continue on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140210_192238.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	486370  
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

So now that I'm trying to get this V90n2 broke in and tuned, I've been fighting a vib issue. No matter what I do with tail gain, I have a tail anomaly. I don't want to call it a wag since it seems to not be a repetitive oscillation. The heli just shakes like it has an engine misfire. The power at this point sounds and performs well. I'm just at a loss of where to look now.

I checked the clutch, head, tail blades, and gears for runout. Nothing was greater than .004" TIR.

My iKon is mounted using Align PU gel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

During last summer I completed a total rebuild of a (used Ebay purchase - frame only) Outrage Velo 90 Mk1 adding in all the necessary upgrade parts and also converting to FBL. I also treated the heli to a new engine.

Spec as follows...
1 x Outrage FBL head conversion kit.
1 x YS 120 + Hatori muscle pipe
1 x Header tank. I quite like to use a header tank
3 x Savox SC 1258 mg
1 x Savox SC 1258 mg also on the Throttle
1 x Savox SH 1290 mg On the Tail
1 x Aligne RCE G600 Governor
Switch Glow pro
Scott Grey Reactor HVX Voltage regulator.
Spektrum/BeastX AR7200BX + 2 x Spektrum satellites.
SAB 710

In my first few test flights I also had a tail wag condition but eventually I tracked the cause down to inadequate boom bracing. So I beefed up the boom strut fixings at both ends and in particular at the lower end I installed a single threaded bar right through the frame and used nylock nuts to pull in and fix the struts tight.
In addition I also installed a boom brace set.
For me this modification completely solved the wagging tail issue.

Hope that helps?

Regards Bill
Billywizz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billywizz View Post
During last summer I completed a total rebuild of a (used Ebay purchase - frame only) Outrage Velo 90 Mk1 adding in all the necessary upgrade parts and also converting to FBL. I also treated the heli to a new engine.

Spec as follows...
1 x Outrage FBL head conversion kit.
1 x YS 120 + Hatori muscle pipe
1 x Header tank. I quite like to use a header tank
3 x Savox SC 1258 mg
1 x Savox SC 1258 mg also on the Throttle
1 x Savox SH 1290 mg On the Tail
1 x Aligne RCE G600 Governor
Switch Glow pro
Scott Grey Reactor HVX Voltage regulator.
Spektrum/BeastX AR7200BX + 2 x Spektrum satellites.
SAB 710

In my first few test flights I also had a tail wag condition but eventually I tracked the cause down to inadequate boom bracing. So I beefed up the boom strut fixings at both ends and in particular at the lower end I installed a single threaded bar right through the frame and used nylock nuts to pull in and fix the struts tight.
In addition I also installed a boom brace set.
For me this modification completely solved the wagging tail issue.

Hope that helps?

Regards Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the pointer. I'll give the tail brace a shot. I have the n2 tail which is supposed to be a bit more robust. There is a solid frame spacer where the struts connect so I'll try the brace. I'm leaning toward something drive line related though. I'm going to try increasing the gear backlash slightly to see if that helps any (.003" to .006", single sheet vs two sheets).
Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just thought I would include a photo - but its not going to tell you very much?
I think the threaded bar I used may have been M3?

Anyway - ultimately what we are trying to achieve here is to brace the boom to prevent as little tail system flex as possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	510183  
Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Solid spacer"
Yes - I drilled right through that solid spacer - easy to do - the end result in my opinion is a trustworthy fixing - and it also acts as a good frame brace in the event of an accident.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally - Just some other little things I forgot about that you may be interested in?
I found that the Outrage landing gear struts were simply not man enough and soon gave way - hence you may have noticed another brand of landing gear fitted in the photo?

Also when the landing strut broke so did the rear aluminium frame brace/landing gear mount (part No R90N828-SS) which snapped to easily. So combined with the fitting of a stronger landing gear set, and the beefing up of the tail boom brace frame fixture - this is now a much stronger and more robust arrangement?

Also one other little tweak I did - I lengthened the fixing bolt to the Tail Bell Crank assembly in order to fit a Nylock back nut simply to provide some added security of the tail system - I was spooked by this bolt coming loose despite using thread-lock?

Well I think thats all the mods I have made to date - best of luck with your flight testing - as far as I am concerned I luv the Velo 90 - great piece of kit - just a shame the brand seems to be heading for extinction. Why???
Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again for the tips! Regarding Outrage, seems like the brand is just an unfortunate casualty of the volatile RC heli market. Too many fans were left with a bad taste in their mouth. So for the financially interested parties, the brand just lost it's marketability. Better to pour money into SAB since that's what will capture market share.

Hopefully someone will pick up the designs and provide some support down the road, however from a business stand point I just don't see that happening.

I'm going to just try to keep my stuff in the air for as long as it is sensible. No support means no value for selling off air frames and parts. If I wasn't so vested in parts already I'd just dump it all for a Synergy or TT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in