Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default warp CG

i'm pretty annoyed with the CG on this warp, has anyone else checked it holding the heli horizontal on its side by the head?

i can't put my 1300mah battery far enough forward to get it close to balancing so a bigger battery won't fix it. (that will fit)

compass, this needs sorted somehow please as it effects performance. i'm not sure how it can best be achieved.

FYI this is what i'm talking about, this is the correct way to balance your heli if you want to try your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Fo...ature=youtu.be

edit-

with canopy on and batt as far forward as it will go (note you couldn't fly the batt here, would need to go back about an inch)

Warp CG canopy on and batt forward (1 min 3 sec)

cheers

Last edited by raptorheli2; 01-11-2013 at 05:38 PM..
raptorheli2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raptor .. first of all, put your canopy on. The canopy is huge and adds a lot of weight to the front of the helicopter.

Some guys are finding it much easier to balance their models with a shorter / fatter pack that puts more of the weight up front.

You can also move your canopy forward by putting the holes slightly further back. Some guys are also cutting some CF to extend the bottom canopy mount.

Hopefully some of these tips help.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My canopy weighs in at 67.9 g so it will have a big affect on cg with and without!
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

guys, the canopy doesn't balance it (or close). i left it off to show i have the conventional "fat pack".

this is the one i have to be exact

if it helps i'll put the canopy on and do another video but you will see the same result, trust me.

i think the only solution is move the canopy and a carbon plate further out to secure the battery to. i'm pretty dissapointed with compass, SURELY this is numero uno on the design sheet after drawing a heli.

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default +1

It's been one of my complaints from the beginning I have everything as far up as it goes and I'm nowhere near balanced. Did recently see a battery that might work it said Dinogy 1500 mAh .
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just add some weight in front, if you are SO worried about CG... otherwise, leave it like that... how much weight do you need to add? 50 grams on a 1000 grams heli? Who cares...

Sorry if this is unconventional / non-pure thinking...

Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

the problem is IMO you don't want to add more weight as you will end up with a 450 feeling heli. i.e quite heavy on pitch/snappiness. you could ofcourse up the HS to combat this but nothing beats a good weight and balanced airframe. however something will have to give so if i can maybe get some of those packs i'd give them a whirl to see.

Coco, i have never added dead weight in 20 years of flying planes/helis and i will not start now. it kills performance, flight time and feel. the argument of 10g in 1000g is nonsensical since i'm talking maybe 15% of the heli weight to get it to balance. you will be into 2 min flights right there. right now i struggle to see 3!

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Again, it should really be repeated, the canopy makes a huge difference for the CG. Put it on before doing CG checks.

My warp balances perfectly. My Thor 1350mAh 35C packs are very light (208g spec), and I have to put them on with 1cm sticking out in front of the electronics platform. I have a Koby 40 and and a WR super mini g2 BEC inside the frame.

Mounting the battery with the cables protruding backwards enable you to mount them even further forward.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

guys, PLEASE ready what i put, the canopy makes VERY LITTLE difference to the CG and therefore the problem is still there.

i can't win, if i took a video with canopy on people would assume i had no battery in there!

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorheli2 View Post
guys, PLEASE ready what i put, the canopy makes VERY LITTLE difference to the CG and therefore the problem is still there.

i can't win, if i took a video with canopy on people would assume i had no battery in there!

cheers
Two things:

1) Yes, the available CG adjustment range could certainly be improved. Most people have to push everything max forward to get it to balance and it's not ideal. It would be great if they could address this, and I'm certainly not claiming it's perfect as it is.

2) Unless you want to wait for fix (which might be forever), my suggestions were just tips trying to make your heli balance. Putting the canopy on when doing the CG check certainly helps, and for me it's the difference between being noticeably tail heavy vs balancing perfectly.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

here is another video with canopy on and the battery as far forward as possible. you couldn't fly it like this as velcro stap doesn't hold enough of the lipo but for demo purposes i have put it there.

please note the esc is above the battery so i can't move anything further forward. it is simply put, a design flaw.

Warp CG canopy on and batt forward (1 min 3 sec)

hopefully compass will design new frames for this in coming weeks/months.

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have read several times that a 1800 battery balances great but even with the 1300 i think it maybe the heavyist 450 ever!
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default warp CG

It takes quite a large hole to fit the canopy grommets, making a new hole with enough canopy between the old and the new hole would move the canopy a LOT.

Any out of the box solutions?
Kendo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH,

Do you own a Warp?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Warp always been slightly tail heavy, i've checked it now and it needs 4 1 € coins to stay perfectly flat, 30 g.
But you know what, in flight it's a non issue at all, and i don't want the bird heavier, 1030g is enough.
I can fly it for 10 min low rpm, my average flight on YEP gov 63% is 7-8 min.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine balances with my 1300mah pack moved forward using one strap and velcro holding it in place.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
It takes quite a large hole to fit the canopy grommets, making a new hole with enough canopy between the old and the new hole would move the canopy a LOT.

Any out of the box solutions?
i think the easiest thing for most is a bigger lipo and your good. people have said 1500-1800mah is ball park.

i'm not talking about hovering/general club messing about for noticing this, i'm taking about any heavy piro work. 450's are hard to do this with at best of times :-) and me not being szabo i like everything as good as i can get it.

for reference the pack i'm using is 234g. with that in mind and knowing my 65g canopy doesn't make much diff i think i would need in the region of a 280-320g lipo to balance. please note this is a guesstimate based on mine.

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkindred View Post
HH,

Do you own a Warp?
No...but I have Steve's in hand...Haven't torn into it yet...but my first impression...it's a brick....Ol' lady picked it up and was looking for the battery, told her it didnt have one...she said "wow..sure feels like it". (she has carried my 450 stretch quite a few times from the field for me)
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can add coins to the nose with duct tape till it balances, and see how much you need using a scale.
My flight times are light 3d, no heavy piroing for now.
Also you may rearrange the motor wires directly to the front to avoid the cables going backwards.
It's a slight gain but it's something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in