Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK, finally time for an update as there has actually been some progress Also maybe worth a bump as I know of at least one person that got a HK-500GT for Christmas, he might want to know what he's in for

Last update was of course that the plastic tail case failed. Well, in a vain attempt at getting things back together quickly, I ordered Align replacement parts, even though this was originally to be a "Hobby King only" build where possible. Vain attempt, as the parts never showed up, lost in the post (I've since claimed, and got some of the monet back at least)

So back to Hobby King parts, ordered what I needed (I already had the CNC tail, just not fitted it). Also ordered a carefully selected range of real high-tensile steel screws and bolts (http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/miniature_cap_screws.htm) to replace all the highly-stressed bolts, particularly in the tail.

So back on the bench, cut about 2 to 3mm off the tail boom and fitted the CNC HK tail, with new belt and HT screws. Spent an afternoon sanding, filing and polishing the tail parts until I had the smoothest-operating HK tail in existence Also shortened the stock tail control rod and re-threaded the ends so I could use this one instead of the CF one I made (I wanted the control rod to be adjustable for when the mechanics went into the scale fuselage). Also adjusted the position of the tail servo so it was central below the boom, again so the whole thing would fit in the scale fuse.

Then went and flew it, put 15 batteries through (no 3D, just my simple "scale-like" flying), with no problems. All of this took until mid-December, for various reasons Declared myself satisfied at this point and decided it was time to put everything into the scale fuse, which I thought would be a pleasant way to spend a few days off work over Christmas.

Well, the first day of trying to fit the mechanics into the fuse showed up one major problem. The plywood mounting tray was factory fitted, but was fitted 30mm too far forward So out it came, and I made a new tray out of 3mm ply (same material as original) that allowed everything to be set 30mm rearwards, and epoxied it into place. After that all went OK. Sure, a little sanding and grinding here and there, but only a little, to allow a bit more clearance for the swash links and tail control arm.

Then came the wet and windy weather (yes, even here in Cyprus), until finally the maiden flight in the fuse over the past weekend. It flies a little tail heavy, which of course I already knew it would. I've been using 3000mAH 20C batteries, but have already ordered some 3600mAH 30C batteries, which should sort out the balance. Also they'll provide a bit more oomph to compensate for the fact that the bird is a bit heavier now. The tail needed no adjustment, which surprised me a little. And later on, when the new batts arrive, I'll most likely up the throttle curve a bit. But she flies great

Here's a short vid of a pretty lame flight just to show that she can get in the air - very cautious pilot, as I didn't want to crash on the first flight!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_xF071x0k[/ame]

And a few pics of the finished article (well, finished except for a few more scale touches, like a more realistic set of skids, and maybe a night sun ). In the 3rd pic, you can just about see the LED light set I fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7846.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	200507   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7848.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	200508   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7850.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	200509   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7851.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	200510   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7852.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	200511  

Name:	_DSC7854.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	200512   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7856.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	200513  
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
CyprusDave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave, that is just awesome, my friend! Well done! It looked great in the air.

Muat be getting bored by now though, so, what's next?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave, thanks for the update. That is a cool fuse! If the mounting tray was 30mm off with me, I think I would have abandoned project.

How much bigger does a scale fuse make the 500 look? I wouldn't mind a fair sized scale heli.

Hehe, I hope Jack isn't watching

Nah, seriously though, it'll be a long time before I can think about getting a scale fuse. Look Jack I'm disciplining myself! Did I do good?

Nice one Dave, anymore projects?

-Jonny
Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. Jonny, the fuse makes it look quite a bit bigger, especially something like the AS-350, as it's quite a big-bodied machine, if you know what I mean? Certainly more "presence" in the air.

Next project? Well, a scale 600 would be nice, not sure what fuse I would choose though. Problem is, the price jump between 500 and 600 is huge. US$130 or so for a 500 fuse, maybe $500 or more for a 600 And that's on top of the airframe, electronics, etc. And I'd need a DX8 so I could control retracts etc. So may have to wait for a while! What I need is a job in a hobby shop building RTF scalers for the customers - that would be cool
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

A scale 600 would be cool. Expensive as you say.

Make sure you do a build thread on that scale 600 when you get one!

-Jonny
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

She looks great Dave! Definitely larger looking!

A Scale 600 would be awesome to try. If you hunt around though you can find kits quiet a bit cheaper. And Apache styled ones too for like $300 or so. Finding a kit to fit the fuse kit is even easier with all the 50/600 kits around; HK600, TZ Frenzy nitro and new electric kits, AHF Aeolus nitro and electric GF kits, than there are the Trex and more expensive kits obviously.

Beauty of scale is price doesn't skyrocket from equipment costs since no 3D is to be done.
UPGl2AYDD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dave, very nice, great achievement. Thanks for the vid.

Always loved scale helis, there is like something magic about them. I wonder if that particular fuselage would fit any 500 heli, or are they specifically designed for Align and exact clone helis ? Wanna do a scale project soon myself, still looking around. I don’t mind the building and modding part, but I don’t feel like painting myself for example.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I would say it was designed with the T-Rex 500 and clones in mind (Helibody is part of http://www.ky-model.com/ who also make(?) CopterX). However given that the mounting plate was 30mm too far forward, I'm not sure what was in their head when it was put together

The way i see it, the key dimensions are:
1. bottom of main frame to tail boom - if that's more than on a T-rex, it won't fit. Less would be OK of course as you could fit spacers under the frame.
2. Main shaft to tail shaft - if it was pretty close, probably could be made to fit in many cases, but depends on fuse design. If the tail is just an open tube, could be easy. If it has an end fitting, like the AS350, much more of a problem. Of course, with a different length tail boom and belt, anything can be made to fit
3. Height of flybar - probably not really a problem unless really low.

I don't think width is really an issue, unless you have a really wide set of mechanics, or a really narrow fuse (like a Cobra or Apache).

Most come pre-painted, although it's possible to get some in just white gelcoat finish. Another good site to check out is RC-Aerodyne http://www.scaleflying.com/ or http://www.scaleflying.de/
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice website Dave, what do you think about this offer ?

http://www.scaleflying.com/Airwolf-C...cs_p_1581.html
Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the write up Dave.. I did get a Hk500 for christmas..
That scale looks AWESOME!! the Mg930s working good now?
what head speed are you running?? also, most think that the blade grip bolt shears then tail casing explodes.. I am going to replace the el'cheapo grip bolts, with some from fastenall.. and give it a go

I hope to start rounding up some parts to build mine. (still recovering from the Raptor50/Titan buy/build...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird300 View Post
Nice website Dave, what do you think about this offer ?

http://www.scaleflying.com/Airwolf-C...cs_p_1581.html
$500 is a hell of a good deal! Although for myself, I'd have to say I'm not a big fan of the Airwolf (yeah, heresy, I know). Just checked shipping costs, it's about $150 to Europe.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban92 View Post
Thanks for the write up Dave.. I did get a Hk500 for christmas..
That scale looks AWESOME!! the Mg930s working good now?
what head speed are you running?? also, most think that the blade grip bolt shears then tail casing explodes.. I am going to replace the el'cheapo grip bolts, with some from fastenall.. and give it a go

I hope to start rounding up some parts to build mine. (still recovering from the Raptor50/Titan buy/build...
Congrats on the HK500 kit as a Christmas present. As long as you watch out for the few know problems, I'm sure you'll enjoy the build

Yeah, MG930s working fine. Have not actually measured head speed, may do that next time out. But using Turnigy Typhoon 1800KV with 13T pinion on 5S. As well as the better quality grip bolts, I would still suggest the CNC tail. It's not a very expensive upgrade.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyprusDave View Post
Have not actually measured head speed, may do that next time out. But using Turnigy Typhoon 1800KV with 13T pinion on 5S.
That should get you around 2200-2300 on average with the stock 162 t main gear, higher on spoolup of course. Assuming the motor is really 1800KV, and not a bit more as you indicated in the beginning of this thread. Sounds exactly right to me for this kind of bird, should fly very well.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Dave, if you could send me a WAV audio file of that heli in a hover, in any format, I'll be glad to determine the headspeed for you. Don't know if you have something to record that, just an idea.
In fact, I could even do it from your vid, but a wav file would be quicker and easier.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never mind Dave, I already did it, recorded a small piece of sound around 1'10" in your vid, give me a few minutes and you'll have that headspeed.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here you go buddy, 2463 RPM at that particular moment:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dave_headspeed.PNG
Views:	627
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	200700  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude, that is sooo cool!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Raf. You know, I was half thinking this morning, I bet when I log on, Raf's going to have done that already
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all, I just wanted to find out if anyone's done any 3d flying with the turnigy electronics and how do they hold up?
ValHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would a CC Ice 50 with a CC BEC be enough on this heli? I wanted to use the Typhoon motor with 2x 3s 2200 lipos. I ask because I already have the CC parts and lipos.
chadew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in