Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tool for removing clutch from fan Radikal 30

Is there a tool I can get to help unscrew the clutch from the fan on the Radikal 30?
dfruehwald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A piston stop and a pin wrench. The two small round holes are so you can put a pin wrench on it to unscrew from the hub. Had to get one at home hardware to remove the clutch shoe from my G20.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use a piece of hard wood as a wrench, and drill two holes the size of the ones in the clutch.. Place the bolts through the wood into the holes and turn left
I highly recommend using piston stop to lock the engine.. Zenoah makes one, or Century has them as well...
Billme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...Ntt=pin+wrench

Some places call it a pin wrench and some call it a spanner. The pins just have to be on the flat side.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used a some square steel tubing and 2 blade bolts to get mine loose. I also shoved a bunch of nylon rope through the spark plug to lock the piston. If you ever want to get the fan hub off you will need the tool they sell, and it is still hard to break it loose, I do not figure you will be able to get it off without damaging it. That thing dose not want to come off.
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I ordered a spanner (pin) wrench. I don't have the piston lock tool I tend to use the rope or tooth brush handle in the exhaust port. I've heard of problems with holes punched in the piston using them but that was on nitro engines.
dfruehwald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The century piston stop has a rubber end so as not to damage the piston.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi-im trying to remove my clutch on my Radical 20 and having no luck. I'm trying to remove it to send it to Hanson and flip the bearing for the generator. I've tried making my own removal too with bolts and have bent two sets so far. I'm using nylon rope to hold it in place and it cut the rope inside! Got it out but no luck with the clutch. It's standard thread so removal is to the left yes? Any one have any ideas how I can remove it without damaging anything? Thanks
Nelson34 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Removing a Radikal clutch can be very tough. Specialy if you use thread locker. I prefer not to use it. Engine load will keep the clutch tightened down.
Have you removed the fan/hub from the engine??
Hold the fan by hand so you can unscrew the 6mm fan hub screw. The 6mm screw must be still mounted on crankshaft about half way. Insert a 8mm shaft in the clutch one way bearing; a main rotor spindle shaft will help. Hold the clutch by hand and tap on the shaft until the fan/hub assembly looses out. Remove the 6mm screw and now you have the fan hub assembly unmounted from the engine. It will make removing the clutch a little easier. Heat the clutch and then try to unscrew it by using a clutch tool while holding the fan by hand. A cloth will help holding the fan. If you need more grip you will have to place the clutch tool on a vice and use a spare crankshaft mounted on the fan hub.
The key is to have the needed tools at hand.

Good luck!!
Felino is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pin/spanner wrench and piston stop worked for me.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As for cutting the rope. Make sure the piston is coming UP and is past the exhaust port when you shove the rope in. I shove as much in as I can get so the force is spread across the piston.

I imagine the G20 is like the G30 so it should came apart with a bit of work. I can tell you I only had a drop or two of lock-tite on it after I put it back together again.

I wish you luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As for cutting the rope. Make sure the piston is coming UP and is past the exhaust port when you shove the rope in. I shove as much in as I can get so the force is spread across the piston.

I imagine the G20 is like the G30 so it should came apart with a bit of work. I can tell you I only had a drop or two of lock-tite on it after I put it back together again.

I wish you luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felino View Post
Removing a Radikal clutch can be very tough. Specialy if you use thread locker. I prefer not to use it. Engine load will keep the clutch tightened down.
Have you removed the fan/hub from the engine??
Hold the fan by hand so you can unscrew the 6mm fan hub screw. The 6mm screw must be still mounted on crankshaft about half way. Insert a 8mm shaft in the clutch one way bearing; a main rotor spindle shaft will help. Hold the clutch by hand and tap on the shaft until the fan/hub assembly looses out. Remove the 6mm screw and now you have the fan hub assembly unmounted from the engine. It will make removing the clutch a little easier. Heat the clutch and then try to unscrew it by using a clutch tool while holding the fan by hand. A cloth will help holding the fan. If you need more grip you will have to place the clutch tool on a vice and use a spare crankshaft mounted on the fan hub.
The key is to have the needed tools at hand.

Good luck!!
Appreciate the replys-but not sure I follow. The fan is under the clutch so no way for me to remove the fan without removing the clutch?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can remove them as one by passing the allen key through the one-way in the clutch shoe and removing it as a unit. I prefer to leave mine on the motor and just remove the clutch with a piston stopper and pin wrench
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok got it. Saw Harbor Freight sells a pin spanner at a cheap price-hopefully strong enough. The threads on the clutch itself is regular not reversed? So I'll turn to the left in order to remove? Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember correct they are still standard threads. Righty tightly, lefty loosy. .

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

For it off! But not without braking a fan blade. Then the carbon base plate-one of the 4 Allen bolts stripped. Anyways-so no lock tite when replacing the clutch yeah?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Tool for removing clutch from fan Radikal 30

If your using a pull start it will tighten down itself. If using a starter some medium strength should do the job of getting.it started. Once started it will tighten up aswell.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok-that's what I thought! I am using a pull start and I really have to tighten it down really well yes? Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Tool for removing clutch from fan Radikal 30

If everything is lined up well the clutch can be snugged up. Once you use the pull start just rev the engine up a few times and you will notice it tighten down very tightly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in