Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow there is definitely a halo
PhillyD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Who flew this weekend?

Finally flew again on Saturday, nice and sunny, but....
I auto'd it back to my "flight line" and landed the tail on my plastic sled I was using as a platform to set my radio and stuff so it didn't get wet and muddy. Oops, and my LHS is out of X5 tail grips.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388258066176.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	474718  

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...charging some batts now...still 65 outside and clear....2year old washer decided to quit right when we bought the matching dryer and installed it yesterday...Computerized so have to call out Maytag service...out of warranty of course...
Stock Tail grips with thrust brgs. is all I have...except for the X5 set on the 500 bladed-all cnc bird hanging on my Heli-Rack....I have to order some for my Head Hunter 550 too....Ebay has some and I have seen them on Amazon.com
Old 12-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today was about the first sunshine in God knows how long, it was nice to get it flying again. At least I got two flights in. I was just coming in after my timer went off.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Being an old fart I am not much for flying anymore in the winter. The wife got me a little Blade Nano CPx for Christmas though, and I wanted to try it out. We had a nice day yesterday, ( 40F) and sunny so I took it out in the back yard for a couple flights. Lots of fun, but pretty twitchy. Nothing like flying my Hurri 550.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

A flying buddy and myself flew our Gaui 550's on Sunday in Port Orchard WA. Overcast and 43 deg (nice weather by NW standards for this time of year - not to wet!).

Other than a bit of a twitchy tail on my 550, which continues to puzzle me, we ripped up the sky enjoying FFF, circuits, and the like. We are both feeling like it's time to loop our Gaui's but are scared for some reason. Trashing our 450 clones, although that has not happened yet in flips and lousy inverted hovers at the top of a loop, seems safer.

I converted my 550 to the X5 tail grips after by buddies original self-destructed. I may have had some twitchiness before but it seems more noticeable now. I've lubed the tail shaft and the tail pitch slider seems to move easily. I run a CF rod from there to a single guide near the frame and then into an Align 650 tail servo. Any thoughts on the twitchiness?

I'm running a Robird FBL btw.
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_crasher View Post
A flying buddy and myself flew our Gaui 550's on Sunday in Port Orchard WA. Overcast and 43 deg (nice weather by NW standards for this time of year - not to wet!).

Other than a bit of a twitchy tail on my 550, which continues to puzzle me, we ripped up the sky enjoying FFF, circuits, and the like. We are both feeling like it's time to loop our Gaui's but are scared for some reason. Trashing our 450 clones, although that has not happened yet in flips and lousy inverted hovers at the top of a loop, seems safer.

I converted my 550 to the X5 tail grips after by buddies original self-destructed. I may have had some twitchiness before but it seems more noticeable now. I've lubed the tail shaft and the tail pitch slider seems to move easily. I run a CF rod from there to a single guide near the frame and then into an Align 650 tail servo. Any thoughts on the twitchiness?

You might want to contact a member that goes by spoofman ( or something like that). He had a thread over on the X5 forum where he installed a X5 Lite tail on his Hurri and had problems with it. If he ever got it sorted, maybe he can help you out, I dunno.

Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
HF MR Support

The X5 lite tail should work...I converted a regular X5 tail assy. for my 500 bladed/Red and White canopy flier...removed the bevel gear and replaced it with the belt pulley...
everything else is stock X5....No twitch
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only did the grips,all the rest is stock. Will keep checking it over probably something simple when I discover it. Thanks for the ideas and info.
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Well, The washer was toast...new Control module is $280.00...
Decided to go look at Home depot for a new one and found the same model(2013 ) on year end close out/ floor sample...made them a low ball offer and they took it so we got a new washer for same cost as a module... Yeah! Clean clothes again!!!

Now that is done, I can work on my motor arrangements for the Gaui's
I'm thinking on selling off the Scorpion GM-601/910 and running the Z30/1110 on the Head Hunter 550 and keep running the Z20/840 on the #3 Gaui and raising the gearing for more HS(520 blades so 2200+ HS)....How's that logic sound?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcaflyer View Post
Well, The washer was toast...new Control module is $280.00...
Decided to go look at Home depot for a new one and found the same model(2013 ) on year end close out/ floor sample...made them a low ball offer and they took it so we got a new washer for same cost as a module... Yeah! Clean clothes again!!!

Now that is done, I can work on my motor arrangements for the Gaui's
I'm thinking on selling off the Scorpion GM-601/910 and running the Z30/1110 on the Head Hunter 550 and keep running the Z20/840 on the #3 Gaui and raising the gearing for more HS(520 blades so 2200+ HS)....How's that logic sound?
Yeah. We need a new dishwasher. Half the time it leaks out the edges of the door. Sounds like you have a plannfor your fleet!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_crasher View Post

Just a long shot but make sure the bearings are installed correctly. I just opened up mm my new x5 grip set to grease the thrust bearings and they are dry and assembled wrong. The two races were sandwiched together but the ball race was on the outside! Im glad I took it apart.

Edit. Also make sure your pitch links are not binding, nor have too much slop. In one package I opened, the brass spacers were too short, and if I had used them, I would have had binding. I used the originals I had on hand that were a hair longer so it didnt get too tight when snugging the bolt from the grip to the pitch link.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #53 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Z30 is working Great!
6 minutes flying on a 3000mah 6s instead of 4 min. with the Scorpion...the 20T pinion did the trick on the #3 Gaui...more pep with the higher HS. flew 1 battery in each of the Gaui's so now it's time to fly the Multirotors....Since its 65F again today....
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

6-12 inches of snow, then below zero temps Monday. Yeehaw.

Matt

Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF MR Support

YIKES!
"No Fly Zone" there...Can you send some of that snow out here? we need water really bad...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcaflyer View Post
YIKES!
"No Fly Zone" there...Can you send some of that snow out here? we need water really bad...
Hey Paul, I will send you some snow if you send me some of those 60 degree temps. Supposed to be close to -20 F here Monday and Tuesday night with daytime highs of 0.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd love it too if you could ship me day's worth of warm weather!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #58 (permalink)
HF MR Support

O.K.
I'll bag up a gallon size Zip-Lock bag each and send you some "Seed" air to grow a big batch of warm-dry to blow all that snow out....It could work!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Okay, only a 425 but...

Snuck out for some airtime on Sunday. Beautiful day, short sleeves and just a small breeze. First pack as I was coming in to land and just about to switch from IU3 to IU1 and heli lost power and plopped down from 15-20 feet up. Gave her all the pitch there was at the last minute which helped a little but she landed on the skids and did a nice bounce. Total damage? Broke two zip ties on the back right corner that hold the skids on and nicked a tail blade.

Diagnosis: battery shot. Never have before but must have hit LVC?

Gave everything a good check over, put on some new zip ties to hold on the skids and flew three more packs. Also flew four packs through my 450. Had the field to myself and hauled both helis and batteries out to the middle and flew back to back except for my little repair episode.My Hurricane flew great on the remaining three packs.

Got home and pulled the Castle log. Yup, it looks like I get to throw out my last stinkin' Turnigy Nano Tech. That makes 4 now and never again. One is even the A-Spec that still has good power, the IR is good and the pack balances well but it has puffed so much the label is coming off. I've got a couple dead 3S Nano Tech's too and I'd like to take them all out to the middle of nowhere, put 'em in a pile and shoot them with a pellet rifle. I just placed an order for another Pulse Ultra 3000 mAh 45C that will bring me up to three of them plus I have one Thor 2700 45C.

So, here are my four flight logs and the difference is obvious.(Flat throttle curves and I usually switch into IU2 before lifting off)

Looking at the first flight in detail shows low voltage was lower than I've ever seen it. 19.6 divided by 6 cells is 3.2 per cell

Looking at the light blue power out line, it fell off while before black throttle in line was still trying to play. I don't even see the switch down to IU1 like in the others so maybe I realized what was happening? Cropped off the end of my 808 hat cam video then over reduced it but here is my bounce.

[ame]http://youtu.be/-ZfuVYg5kVY[/ame]

Yikes! Anyway, happy to have an almost no damage crash and to get in eight flights on a nice day.

-- Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Elizabeth, the cold is a killer for lipos - even a good one will give less duration - one of my Gens Ace 2200 3s gave out last weekend as well with a similar outcome except it got my u/c.

I am having good luck with the non-nano turnigys though
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in