Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Belt Tensioner Assembly

Firstly i've had a great time with this heli. I had no issues with my build some months ago and its not missed a beat since, but there is an area that could be potentially improved further - the belt tensioner assembly.

On my initial build I had no issues aligning this - maybe I got lucky at the first attempt. Having recently received my upgrade can and pulley parts, I decided to install them even though, apart from the startup buzz, I wasn't suffering any other issues. It was on the rebuilt that I found how troublesome getting the pulley assembly aligned can be. It is a matter of doing things in the correct order but a few bits could be improved. Even if it doesn't bind, being slightly out of alignment does introduce vibration - the beastx left roll a give away that something is not right.

On many models the tail belt pulleys are integrated with the tail case so require no adjustment. The main issue on the Warp is that the relationship to the motor mount relies on motor shaft and the fiddly carbon plates to keep it parallel. This area of the frame is also the thinnest part. Mechanical alignment is therefore not rigidly enforced. Consequently the tensioner assembly can end up slightly out of alignment on all axis in relation to the motor mount. On quick inspection, it may look ok but isn't. I can see now why many had difficulties. It only needs to be slightly off, and the pully will bind on the frame. This may be why some belts have snapped.

So, is there a way to improve this? For the next version, would it be possible to look at how the tail belt tensioner could be mechanically connected to the motor mount. Both mounts would need to change but looking from the underside, it would be possible to have a post in the middle so that the tensioner is aligned by a post and the motor shaft. If this was T shaped at both ends and machine recessed, the fixings to the frame would then be to hold in place rather than align. Would it be possible to lengthen the carbon washers so that the bolt has a firmer base rather than the edge of a hole? Would these be better made from another material? As an interim measure, an improvement on the carbon washer would be welcome - I'm not hamfisted, but these are easily deformed!

Overall, very pleased with my Warp, but a few tweaks would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to Mike at ProStar compass has redesigned the carbon braces (washers) that go outside the frame for the motor and pulley mounts. Haven't seen it yet, should be available to purchace sometime soonish, but it is now one piece that links the two mounts together and keeps tem aligned. I agree that it's not terribly hard to do but this small improvement will certainly make it easier.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That sounds like it would improve the alignment process and rigidity without a reworking on the CNC parts - ideal then and easy to retrofit. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
According to Mike at ProStar compass has redesigned the carbon braces (washers) that go outside the frame for the motor and pulley mounts. Haven't seen it yet, should be available to purchace sometime soonish, but it is now one piece that links the two mounts together and keeps tem aligned. I agree that it's not terribly hard to do but this small improvement will certainly make it easier.
I am supposed to take a photo of thew new CF "special washer" for the motor/guide wheel block for someone else.

When I get around to it, I'll post here as well.

It replaces the motor mount and guide wheel block "special washers" and is one unit now.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll be ordering one when they're released, not absolutely necessary but certainly makes it much easier to move things and ensure they're still aligned.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a photo of it, but I don't know if i'm allowed to post it or not.
SandorV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Belt Tensioner Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandorV View Post
I have a photo of it, but I don't know if i'm allowed to post it or not.
Go ahead ... they are in the kits. It's no secret.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

SandorV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice. Looks like a great improvement.

Any clue when they'll be available to buy Jeff?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very good. This will provide much better alignment. Very pleased to see that, like other small improvements, Compass had it in hand all along
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojappa View Post
Nice. Looks like a great improvement.

Any clue when they'll be available to buy Jeff?
Soon. They are already shipping with newer kits.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do we have to buy them.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, since it isn't necessarily a fix for an operational problem they're not gonna give them out, kinda like the metal control lever mounts. Seems like they only give out free parts for things that address serious issues that lots of people are having.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Though if we look at the carbon pully fix, this was to prevent the belt coming off which was probably due to pully misalignment in the first place. These new plates fix that part of the problem so are not entirely an upgrade - especially if they're the shipping part in new kits. Having said that, for the few quid they are likely to cost and for ease of alignment ill buy them anyway.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sresener View Post
Do we have to buy them.
Yes. They are not a critical component ... there was nothing wrong with the old cf washers except that guys would crank them down too tight when they didn't need to which created a problem as the frame would deform and rub the pulleys.

This helps fix a user error more than anything (over tightening the screws), and adds some convenience for lining up the guide wheel block with the motor so the slide / move in sync.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Yes. They are not a critical component ... there was nothing wrong with the old cf washers except that guys would crank them down too tight when they didn't need to which created a problem as the frame would deform and rub the pulleys.

This helps fix a user error more than anything (over tightening the screws), and adds some convenience for lining up the guide wheel block with the motor so the slide / move in sync.
Wow. Bummer, I just got my kit - its all int he timing I guess. How new is new (every other week )? I think updates (read improvements) should be provided to purchase in the last 30 days at a minimum. Where's all that great Compass support I heard about? So much for "all the problems" being worked out... I already corrected a few issues on my own dime and I am only on step 35

Whatever, I will keep an eye out for it too. I can see it as being not critical but neither was the motor can or extended canopy mount. I think its more about noise (complaints).
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel ya, just got mine as well. I'm not upset that it didn't include this update nor do I really think I should get it for free. The two mounts can be aligned easy enough without it, this part is mostly just about convenience, not really fixing a manufacture defect or error. The customer service from ProStar, RCHC and Compass is very good but you aren't going to get everything for free.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Good post, Mo.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mo hit the nail square on the head.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I get it. The honeymoon is over.

For the record, I didn't ask for anything for free. Though I do think it would go a long way if they want to sell units that don't have history (early or mid-stage). Also for the record, unless its a catastrophic issue, I don't even return faulty items. Heck I spent $20 (actually more - bought a whole driver assembly and two packs of links - Compass parts listing was incorrect) to replace a bad swash driver link and didn't even bother to trouble any vendor. Its never about the money with me.

I was just making a philosophical point, my opinion on principle. Apologies offered to all if I offended.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in