Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > AHF Aeolus

AHF Aeolus AHF Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to Nitro Heli's

Hi,
I have a number of Electric Heli's and am getting very proficient at flying them, but for my next project i was thinking of getting a Nitro Chopper.

I was considering AHF-50 .50 Size Nitro 3D Helicopter Kit from Hobbyking, and was wondering if my spare OS .46 AX would fit it.

Also, i am completely unfamiliar with Nitro Heli's and was wondering if there was a newbie guide i could go through to get the basics down... e.g how to start them, etc.. i am aware they have a clutch mechanism of some sort.. how does that work, etc

And would i be able to expect longer flight times (my main gripe about electric Choppers) ?

I was going to install a Flymentor autopilot, but they dont like vibration that much.. will the vibration of a nitro engine

My local flying club is great for Airplanes, but they really don't have anyone that is into Helicopters, so i am breaking new ground here

Any Tips/Advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The AHF is one of the best nitro kits you can buy, very simple very robust quality and very reliable. In addition, it's very lightweight, one of the best power:weight ratio's you can find. I've bought the HK kit, it's the same as all the other AHF kits, just it includes a bit more plastic/composite which isn't a bad thing. Gives you more options in upgrades. You'll also enjoy knowing some Trex parts bolt right on to the Aeolus too so spares are not an issue.

For the engine, I'm not sure yours will fit, or if it's recommended. But, 50 size engines are more or less old sized 40's and 90's are more or less old sized 60's so the veterans of nitro claim. So theoretically it'll fit. We have people putting 90 size engines in these AHF birds so I'm not inclined to say it won't work. Still suggest buying a OS Hyper or better a OS55.

As for videos, well you'll find lots in the Finless forum. Pinecone does some pretty good procedure/tip videos. I'll try and search them up for you later, but they are there if your curious. As for engine tuning, Bob recently did a video with a pilot testing the 1.15 YS engine and that's the best you'll get otherwise tuning is a black art.

Yes you'll get longer flight times. My old electrics lasted a total of 5-7 minutes. I get about 10-15 minutes per a tank and can fly immediately after, no cool down required or packs to babysit and maintain. The beauty of nitro is the "pay as you go" type nature of it, versus the "contract" nature of an electric. I started with electrics, now only own nitro's.

Using right foams and mounting methods, you shouldn't have vib issues, but that's one of the advantages of an electric, marginally smoother.

The clutch is the same on a chainsaw more or less. You have a free turning bell that is connected to the pinion and the liner that is attached to the fan and motor. Once turned fast enough the liner expands and tightly grasps the liner making a connection, nothing complex really.

I too share your issue. No one here is RC anything really. The local shop only carries cars, maybe one or two plane kits and a AXE heli. Otherwise I'm a lone-wolf pioneer out here!
UPGl2AYDD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.. i have ordered the kit, and an ASP S52A to go along with it, iv'e already got the servo's and everything else i need to finish it.

I cant go wrong with a 52 sized glow engine for $49.95 not to mention the low cost of the kit itself.

I am sure that i will have many questions as i proceed through the build..

Unlike yourself, i quite like my T-Rex 450 Clones and the Gaui EP 425 that only just had it's maiden this morning, but i will probably get rid of all the others.

Thanks for the Advice

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPGl2AYDD View Post
The AHF is one of the best nitro kits you can buy, very simple very robust quality and very reliable. In addition, it's very lightweight, one of the best power:weight ratio's you can find. I've bought the HK kit, it's the same as all the other AHF kits, just it includes a bit more plastic/composite which isn't a bad thing. Gives you more options in upgrades. You'll also enjoy knowing some Trex parts bolt right on to the Aeolus too so spares are not an issue.

For the engine, I'm not sure yours will fit, or if it's recommended. But, 50 size engines are more or less old sized 40's and 90's are more or less old sized 60's so the veterans of nitro claim. So theoretically it'll fit. We have people putting 90 size engines in these AHF birds so I'm not inclined to say it won't work. Still suggest buying a OS Hyper or better a OS55.

As for videos, well you'll find lots in the Finless forum. Pinecone does some pretty good procedure/tip videos. I'll try and search them up for you later, but they are there if your curious. As for engine tuning, Bob recently did a video with a pilot testing the 1.15 YS engine and that's the best you'll get otherwise tuning is a black art.

Yes you'll get longer flight times. My old electrics lasted a total of 5-7 minutes. I get about 10-15 minutes per a tank and can fly immediately after, no cool down required or packs to babysit and maintain. The beauty of nitro is the "pay as you go" type nature of it, versus the "contract" nature of an electric. I started with electrics, now only own nitro's.

Using right foams and mounting methods, you shouldn't have vib issues, but that's one of the advantages of an electric, marginally smoother.

The clutch is the same on a chainsaw more or less. You have a free turning bell that is connected to the pinion and the liner that is attached to the fan and motor. Once turned fast enough the liner expands and tightly grasps the liner making a connection, nothing complex really.

I too share your issue. No one here is RC anything really. The local shop only carries cars, maybe one or two plane kits and a AXE heli. Otherwise I'm a lone-wolf pioneer out here!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

slaterm, the ASP 52A is an airplane engine... I don't know if it will fit the heli right out of the box. Why not the ASP46H? Ok, it's weaker, but you will have long flight times (about 25 min / tank) and fit perfect into this heli (I own one).

I don't know why HK doesn't sell the ASP 52H, it will be great.

Good luck!
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to Nitro Helis

I didnt notice it was for Airplanes.. but that's ok, it will fit into an airplane that i'm building at the moment.

I went and ordered the 46H per your suggestion, and the way hobbyking is running these days i should get it sometime next year

Thanks for the advice,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRaptor View Post
slaterm, the ASP 52A is an airplane engine... I don't know if it will fit the heli right out of the box. Why not the ASP46H? Ok, it's weaker, but you will have long flight times (about 25 min / tank) and fit perfect into this heli (I own one).

I don't know why HK doesn't sell the ASP 52H, it will be great.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will find it very difficult to get Flymentor working on a nitrol heli, to much vibration and bare in mind that if subjected to to much vibration it will probably crash the heli.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, been there and done that. I can fly without one, it just takes a lot of the stress out of it. If you think that the vibration will be too much, then i shall abandon that plan.

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
You will find it very difficult to get Flymentor working on a nitrol heli, to much vibration and bare in mind that if subjected to to much vibration it will probably crash the heli.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ASP 52 to fit Aeolus 50

has anyone tried to fit the ASP 52 in their Aeolus 50? I tried tonight and it seems the clutch assembly is a few millimeters to long and the engine mounts screw holes do can not come up high enough to reach the Aeolus' frame holes... Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rusty-; 03-04-2012 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Added Image
Rusty- is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Slaterm61, if you are buying from hobby-wing and you are getting the $379 combo, it comes with the ASP 52HR engine. That is a heli version of the engine. You should be good to go with it.

Ah sorry, missed that you had already ordered.

Build videos for the Aeolus can be found on helituning.com here.

Last edited by Grok; 03-04-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Grok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Grok! Its all sorted. Had to move that grooved piece closest to the engine. Thanks man
Rusty- is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aeolus50 Setting up

Hello all.... I am brand new to Nitro Helis, My trainer has been a Walkera V450D01 which I love, but was RDF. I have sitting before me, My Aeolus50SV which I have just put together. I also have a new Spektrum DX8. Can anybody share with me their setting for the DX8? I also have a flybarless head here and a Spektrum AR7200BX control for it. Can anybody with some expertise tell me which way to go? I really have no idea, and its just begging to fly. DX8 settings would be a good place to start. HELP PLEASE>>>>>>>
TDC123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi TDC123,

I would check out finless's vids on the DX8, he has a review done up for the DX8, think it was done for an align heli but the principles are the same, great vids, check this link.

Regrds,
ouncie

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=354008
ouncie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in