Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do you remove main gear?

I stripped my pinion on the main gear by landing over and over in tall grass which would stop the tail from spinning. I don't do that anymore

Anyway, I pulled the bottom apart and pulled the motor out. Now I need to get to the pinion. How do I remove the main gear from the shaft? I figured it would have a set screw, but it does not. Thanks!
Deadalus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hasn't been a new post here in 10 days - looks like this forum is dead and we need to find someplace else.
karlik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may have already figured this out...

From the diagram posted here, it looks like the main gear may just be simply pressed on. If you don't see a screw in the side or maybe on the bottom of the main gear then that may be the case. Give it a gentle tug and see if you get any movement...

http://www.stephannijdam.eu/download/UFLY_EXPLODED.jpg
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used an 1/8th inch piece of flat metal with a slot cut in it like a fork. I slid it between the pinion and the motor then rested the assembly across an open vice. Then I got a nail slightly smaller than the motor shaft, flattened the point with a file and use it as a punch with a hammer to knock the shaft from the pinion.

To install the pinion I got a small good quality c clamp, positioned the pinion on top of the shaft and squeezed it on with the c clamp.

I hope that explains it, do you have a replacement pinion? If not here is a link.

http://helidirect.com/walkera-pinion...ly-p-23221.hdx

Steve
ERRATIC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to replace the small gear that drives the tail rotor, that meshes with the large main gear?
If so, no need to remove the main gear. Disconnect the linkage to the tail rotor servo, loosen the pinch bolt and screw at the front of the tail boom, then slide the whole tailboom out. It only takes a few minutes to change out the tail shaft or the gear.
wekenav8r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn View Post
You may have already figured this out...

From the diagram posted here, it looks like the main gear may just be simply pressed on. If you don't see a screw in the side or maybe on the bottom of the main gear then that may be the case. Give it a gentle tug and see if you get any movement...

http://www.stephannijdam.eu/download/UFLY_EXPLODED.jpg
Thanks. I'm going to print that out on a plotter at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERRATIC BIRD View Post
I used an 1/8th inch piece of flat metal with a slot cut in it like a fork. I slid it between the pinion and the motor then rested the assembly across an open vice. Then I got a nail slightly smaller than the motor shaft, flattened the point with a file and use it as a punch with a hammer to knock the shaft from the pinion.

To install the pinion I got a small good quality c clamp, positioned the pinion on top of the shaft and squeezed it on with the c clamp.

I hope that explains it, do you have a replacement pinion? If not here is a link.

http://helidirect.com/walkera-pinion...ly-p-23221.hdx

Steve
Yep, that's pretty much what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wekenav8r View Post
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to replace the small gear that drives the tail rotor, that meshes with the large main gear?
If so, no need to remove the main gear. Disconnect the linkage to the tail rotor servo, loosen the pinch bolt and screw at the front of the tail boom, then slide the whole tailboom out. It only takes a few minutes to change out the tail shaft or the gear.
Thanks...I actually removed the main gear to do this. Now I see I could have done it the easy way.
Deadalus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know what size the hex locking screw is on the aluminum ring that holds the mian-shaft in-place?

What tool set do you recommend for working on these Heli's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HM_UFLY - MainShaft Hex.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	273713  
FlyMyAssOff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi, It's a 1.5mm allen. Your chopper should have come with one.

A set of nut drivers that include a 4mm and a 2.5mm. I have a set of Wiha brand http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm

A multi screwdriver, Husky makes a nice one that can be bought at Home Depot (Husky #HD74501 X).

A pair of hemostats or small needle nose pliers.

Q-Bond for repairs. http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQ8wIwAA

Best wishes,
Steve
ERRATIC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks, fixed it...woohoo!
FlyMyAssOff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in