Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ubec for the 700e

hi guys been here for a little while now and i know this has been asked many times so delete if need to mods.
i also wanted to say that im really happy to become an align dealer in the uk!
anyways i really wanted to ask this as im planning a v2 700
i read that everyone like the wr bec's so thought id see if the one below would be suitable if i wanted to use a 2s pack ( which i do ) or does it seem to heavy/bulky.

http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-linear_hp.html

thanks alot!
lloydcole1988 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

anyone? maybe the wr bec isnt that popular...
Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll tell you what I think.

Is it suitable? Sure. If that is the way you want to set it up. But I think this question rekindles the debate about how to best configure the 700E regarding powering the radio electronics. This solution (2S AND BEC) certainly appeals to some, but others choose different paths. 2S with a regulator is one of a number of viable options:

** Run 2S and BEC together
** Run 2S unregulated.
** Run standard Rx pack unregulated
** Run appropriate size LiFe unregulated
** Run "full sized" (for want of a better term) bec from flight packs.

One of the best features of using a BEC in general is that it allows us to leave the 3rd battery pack on the ground and save the weight - which many feel is a big priority on this bird. One of the beauties of the WR Super BEC (and why it enjoys popularity) is that it runs on 14S, so there is no problem running it from flight packs - an approach that has bitten others with BECs of other brands.

But not everyone sees this issue the same way - there are many opinions, many ideas...
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been running the WR Super Hercules BEC from one of the two main flight packs on the 700E.

Also on the 6HV,
also on the Logo 600

I have been running the same BEC from the flight single main flight pack on the Atom 500, Caliber 700, and Trex 600E.

I have seen too many machines go in, when the pilot charged the main flight battery (because he had to in order to fly) and forgot to charge, or even check, the separate battery for the radio.

As "The Bum" frequently states (paraphrasing): "If you run the BEC from the main flight pack, you always fly with a fully charged receiver pack".

Additionally, if you are worried about the impact of a cell shorting in the main flight pack-you can lose three cells in one of the main flight packs, and still have sufficient voltage to the BEC to get the machine down. If you have one cell short out in a two cell receiver pack, you are done.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

great thanks for the replies, i like having the extra 2s lipo so think ill go with the wr bec 2s version.

i just want something reliable.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I have been running the WR Super Hercules BEC from one of the two main flight packs on the 700E.

Also on the 6HV,
also on the Logo 600

I have been running the same BEC from the flight single main flight pack on the Atom 500, Caliber 700, and Trex 600E.

I have seen too many machines go in, when the pilot charged the main flight battery (because he had to in order to fly) and forgot to charge, or even check, the separate battery for the radio.

As "The Bum" frequently states (paraphrasing): "If you run the BEC from the main flight pack, you always fly with a fully charged receiver pack".

Additionally, if you are worried about the impact of a cell shorting in the main flight pack-you can lose three cells in one of the main flight packs, and still have sufficient voltage to the BEC to get the machine down. If you have one cell short out in a two cell receiver pack, you are done.
Might be a silly ? but can u post a pic of how you tap into only 1 6S on the 700E for the BEC?
JustinS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...stallation.pdf
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacolvin View Post
Thanks, that's great.
JustinS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turnigy 15 amp bec, only 15$, 3 of us use it and no probs at all in hundreds of flights...
XSTAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in