Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Chase belt tension pics and instruction.

Hey guys! I know there has been a lot of questions/issues with the belts on the chase. So i have added pics and will explain how to set belt tensions. Also i will talk about what to use for belt lubricant.

Starting off with the motor belt, this belt is spinning very fast and must be done correctly. This belt must have around 1-1.5mm of play. To check this use a small hex driver and push on one side of the belt to check. Doing this should take little to no pressure to show tension. Also the belt does ride at the bottom of the pulley so dont be concerned about this. The motor pinion should be nearly touching the motor plate to allow belt to make complete contact to the pulley.

For the main drive belt. This belt has much more surface contact to the pulleys it rides on so along with that the belt does not need to be so tight around 2.5-3.5mm of play. To check this press with one finger just in front of the main drive gear right where the slot is in the frame. (Look at picture 3 and 4) if this belt is riding high then the whole motor mount assembly is leaned back, so the top of the motor is slightly leaned towards the main shaft. if the belt is low then the motor is leaned away from the main shaft. starting off with the motor loose I.E. the three screws loosened on both sides of the frames, push the top of the motor straight down. This should square up the motor in relation to the frame center line. If this does not make the belt ride in the right spot then lean motor accordingly.

For the tail belt. This belt is much stronger than any other tail belt drive system on the market. I dont really do anything special to this belt. you just need about 2mm of play checked @ the tail case.

I have tried quite a few different waxes/oils for all the belts. I have found that any silicone lube works great but this only helps the belts not snap. I highly recommend using White lightning Clean ride wax lube. But I have been testing the Dry Fluid Gear lube on my belts and have noticed the belts giving off almost 0 dust and have not had one motor belt go bad since i started using the Dry Fluid for the belts.

I have never changed the main drive belt, tail belt, or front pulley even after 800 flights or more. At first I would get about 30 flights on the motor belt but now using the Dry Fluid Gear Lube I am at almost 60 flights.

Hope this helps you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_144430.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	545494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_144435.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	545495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_144205.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	545496   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_144222.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	545497   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_164652.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	545498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_164656.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	545499  
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can not get the belt lined up in the first place... the tail belt seems to be the only one that wants to sit in the middle of the gear. The 1st belt(aka the shortest) seems to ride low on the main white gear... anyway to fix that? then the second belt rides low as well... any advice there either?

Thanks
KRAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAR View Post
I can not get the belt lined up in the first place... the tail belt seems to be the only one that wants to sit in the middle of the gear. The 1st belt(aka the shortest) seems to ride low on the main white gear... anyway to fix that? then the second belt rides low as well... any advice there either?

Thanks

Raise the motor mount. What I did is widen vertically the slot holes in the frames. Push the mount up as you tighten the screws. See how the motor mount is raised about 2mm. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415697977.939827.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	548721
Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I may have to do that, kinda sucks that it's required to do that...
I can't get the motor belt right either, I needed a new motor pinnion so just waiting on that...

Thanks guys
KRAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Very useful.

This thread is really useful. Thanks for posting.

I bought my Chase at the Toledo Show, so far it's been one of the best builds I ever done. I'm really glad I found this thread because I didn't know how tight the belts should be. I look for the belt lubricant from a local bike shop.

It's finally nice here in Canada so I hope to get it airborne soon.
https://vimeo.com/70156492
Exploroman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So 800 flights on the mxl147 belt when you used the dry fluid? My belt gave out yesterday when I put drops of the white lightning clean ride, Could be time to be replaced anyway because I got the Heli used.

Now with a new belt should I still put the clean ride fluid or Do you have a link for the dry gear fluid?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by only futaba 123 View Post
Hey guys! I know there has been a lot of questions/issues with the belts on the chase. So i have added pics and will explain how to set belt tensions. Also i will talk about what to use for belt lubricant.

Starting off with the motor belt, this belt is spinning very fast and must be done correctly. This belt must have around 1-1.5mm of play. To check this use a small hex driver and push on one side of the belt to check. Doing this should take little to no pressure to show tension. Also the belt does ride at the bottom of the pulley so dont be concerned about this. The motor pinion should be nearly touching the motor plate to allow belt to make complete contact to the pulley.

For the main drive belt. This belt has much more surface contact to the pulleys it rides on so along with that the belt does not need to be so tight around 2.5-3.5mm of play. To check this press with one finger just in front of the main drive gear right where the slot is in the frame. (Look at picture 3 and 4) if this belt is riding high then the whole motor mount assembly is leaned back, so the top of the motor is slightly leaned towards the main shaft. if the belt is low then the motor is leaned away from the main shaft. starting off with the motor loose I.E. the three screws loosened on both sides of the frames, push the top of the motor straight down. This should square up the motor in relation to the frame center line. If this does not make the belt ride in the right spot then lean motor accordingly.

For the tail belt. This belt is much stronger than any other tail belt drive system on the market. I dont really do anything special to this belt. you just need about 2mm of play checked @ the tail case.

I have tried quite a few different waxes/oils for all the belts. I have found that any silicone lube works great but this only helps the belts not snap. I highly recommend using White lightning Clean ride wax lube. But I have been testing the Dry Fluid Gear lube on my belts and have noticed the belts giving off almost 0 dust and have not had one motor belt go bad since i started using the Dry Fluid for the belts.

I have never changed the main drive belt, tail belt, or front pulley even after 800 flights or more. At first I would get about 30 flights on the motor belt but now using the Dry Fluid Gear Lube I am at almost 60 flights.

Hope this helps you guys!
HybridCycles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in