Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Training Kit for walkera 4g3

Hi Guys,

I've been looking around for a training kit for the 4g3. And the only ones that I could find are made by Xtreme, Are these the only ones available?

Thank you

Paul
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mc Gyver it

Bamboo Skewers and ping pong balls.

I find flying in an open outside spot on a calm day is nice too, Grass is very soft for this small heli. Just bring out a pizza box or something to lift off from.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

coffee stir straws and small styrofoam balls. standard ping pong balls are going to be kinda big.

or if you have 1mm cf rod around that will work too, and not look so cheesey
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a cx2 training gear.
empty_space is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_space View Post
I used a cx2 training gear.

Do you have any pics of this training gear?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea hold on. They are on my computer somehere, I have to find them.

Here is a video of me hovering with the training gear on.
Walkera 4G3 hovering (5 min 37 sec)
Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks really good. Is it possible You could tells us your step by step procedure on how you installed it, and what you used. Especially where you attached it to.So that others may learn aswell.

Thank you

Paul
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't find the pics so I just re took them.

I uses plastic wire ties to attach it to the heli skids. Right where you see the red line is where the wire tie went.
Also as I got better I moved the ping pong balls closer to the heli. That way when I took the training gear off I was used to a shorter landing base.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I just read you post. the pics should help. I got the cx2 training gear from my hobby shop for like $9. It comes with the plastic piece that holds the rods in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2085.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	106350   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2086.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	106351   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2087.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	106352   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2088.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	106353   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2089.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	106354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2090.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	106355   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2091.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	106356   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2090hh.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	106357  
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a very good setup. I'll give that a go.

Thank you

Paul
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I first started, I did the training gear thing too... I got mine at ClubHeli.com (look in their "Tools" section I think. I quickly modded mine though. I removed the ping pong balls and put a small bit of shrink tube on the ends. The next step came quicly when I took my 4G3 outside on a windless day and flew it without the training gear. I crashed a billion or so times learning, but the heli never broke as the soft grass provided more than sufficient cushion for each fall. I think in all the millions and millions of crashes I had during the several days of "outside learning", I bent the flybar... that was the only damage!
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
When I first started, I did the training gear thing too... I got mine at ClubHeli.com (look in their "Tools" section I think. I quickly modded mine though. I removed the ping pong balls and put a small bit of shrink tube on the ends. The next step came quicly when I took my 4G3 outside on a windless day and flew it without the training gear. I crashed a billion or so times learning, but the heli never broke as the soft grass provided more than sufficient cushion for each fall. I think in all the millions and millions of crashes I had during the several days of "outside learning", I bent the flybar... that was the only damage!

Hi Steve,

Thank you for joining us. What about the main blades, did they get damaged at all in the grass? How high was this grass? I wouldn't like the grass to get tangled up in the wash or swashplate area and damage something. And why did you remove the ping pong balls? Did the heli still balance ok?

Thank you

Paul
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I live in a gated community so my backyard grass is like a golf course. It is constantly mowed and is completely weed and debris free. Nothing has ever gottne tangled in the mechanisms.

As for removing the ping pong balls, It just seemed much lighter and acted more as if I was flying the heli without any training gear. With the ping pong balls on, the heli seemed "slow" and had much more inertia with each movement that I needed to constantly be correcting.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I got better I also removed the ping pong balls. I would sometimes get the wobbles with the ping pong balls on. The 4g3 can definitely take a crash. I slammed into the cement really hard one time and nothing broke. I was amazed, only the blades got dented a little.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When I got better I also removed the ping pong balls. I would sometimes get the wobbles with the ping pong balls on. The 4g3 can definitely take a crash. I slammed into the cement really hard one time and nothing broke. I was amazed, only the blades got dented a little.

Cool, I have 20 pairs of spare blades for it. 6 battery packs. Hopefully it would be all good to go soon. I just had to see if those standard kids could handle the training kit. I have it now, and it is really going well. But yes I do get a bit of wobbles. How high on hover does it need to be so that it wont get any backwash(turbulance)?

Thank you

Paul
Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always heard that you should be as high as the total length of blades. So thats about 1 foot. Try 2 or more to be safe.

20 blades are more than enough. I crashed a couple times and still use the original blades it came with. I just put tape over the dented part and its fine. A suggestion would be to get 2 chargers for all those batts if you don't have a another charger that does 1s lipos. My charger doesn't so I just picked up another stock charger. That way I was constantly charging and flying.

Try and take some videos too, that way you can see how far you come. I get a kick out of looking at my old videos.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I always heard that you should be as high as the total length of blades. So thats about 1 foot. Try 2 or more to be safe.

20 blades are more than enough. I crashed a couple times and still use the original blades it came with. I just put tape over the dented part and its fine. A suggestion would be to get 2 chargers for all those batts if you don't have a another charger that does 1s lipos. My charger doesn't so I just picked up another stock charger. That way I was constantly charging and flying.

Try and take some videos too, that way you can see how far you come. I get a kick out of looking at my old videos.

Ahh that's a really good tip. thanks for that. will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in