Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X7

X7 Discussion and support of the Gaui X7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default X7 and Bavarian Demon - slow cyclic response

Hi

Looking for a few pointers as to what the slow cyclic response on my X7 could be.

By slow I mean, I have a full stick deflection on elevator or aileron and it feels like it takes about 1 second to fully roll. I also have an X5 + B3D and it's absolutely fast enough for me (it's in fact quite insane - and I like that).

My Bavarian Demon settings on the X7 are:
65 head gain
15 agility on elevator and ail
14 cyclic agility

about 9 degrees of elevator/aileron range and 12.5 of pitch.

I've only tuned the head a little - I know that on the current settings if I move the head gain up another 10-15 points, I'll be looking at high oscillations when I give harsh stick inputs - so that's maybe not the way to go.

Any tips as to how I could improve the roll rates on this setup?

Thanks!
johncclayton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only time that I had that problem was when setting up a used Goblin 700 on BD3sx and the problem was not in the BD3sx it was in my Tx setup. This was a while back and I don't remember just what I did to correct the problem. Carefully go back through all of the Tx and ESC settings, governor gains, etc.
Not saying the problem isn't in the BD3 but double check the Tx if you haven't already.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

1 sek for a roll is extremely fast.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Will do when I next get a chance.

Part of the B3D setup on the DX9 requires that I go through the servo end points and ensure that the B3D diagnose screen is showing me +100/-100% on all axis, with 0 at the center sticks (obviously) ... so I use subtrim on the Tx to ensure 0 at center stick in the B3D diagnose page and then I adjust the Tx endpoints to something like 128 to get 100% in the B3D page.

On my DX9 with a 9-ch receiver without any subtrim, I get about a 4 point offset from center and with a +100/-100 travel on the Tx the B3D out of the box will show me travel on the diagnose page going to about 95%.

So to get exactly +100 / -100 with centering at 0, most of my channels need something like 8 - 15 sub-trim and 128 travel.

I explain all the above only so that you know I've going through the end point adjustments to ensure that B3D, as instructed, is showing me the (hopefully) right travel and end points.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

subjective I guess, not saying it aint quick - the point I'm trying to express is that the X5 feels waaaaaaay snappier, whereas the X7 feels like a complete dog. :-)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncclayton View Post
subjective I guess, not saying it aint quick - the point I'm trying to express is that the X5 feels waaaaaaay snappier, whereas the X7 feels like a complete dog. :-)
Make sure that you don't have any DR in the Tx. Double check other settings in the Tx, such as pitch curves, etc, just to rule out any odd settings. Try increasing the cyclic to 10°. My Trex 700 flips and rolls very well, but still no where near as quick as my 500.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

interesting - ok, so can I assume that the heavier craft have significantly slower response times in general? simply because of mass / inertia etc...

that would make sense of course. I will try now with three packs on the X7 just to do tuning - will post results here and see where it leads.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Difference between size of X5 and X7?

(oops, someone said that.)

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

so, I went out and tried again today - this time using a different technique/method to tune the Bavarian 3D.

Firstly - it still flies - yeah! It is however, still slow - even when I move the agility sliders to 15 on the B3D which I consider high.

Yet - all this agility stuff is taking a back seat for the moment because I had two ESC shutdowns while flying the X7, causing throttle to drop to what *felt* like 20%... basically zero lift (but it didn't drop totally out of the sky), so I kinda, sorta, auto'ed it down.

On the first ESC shutdown, the thing actually powered up again before I got to terra firma, but I landed anyway because I wanted to inspect the lights on the receiver and ESC - well, nothing flashing red on the Scorpion Opto 130, I'll leave a message on the forums in a more suitable place to see if other Opto users have experienced the same thing.

Evenin all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in