Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 480 info.

Fed-Ex got around to delivering Kyle’s new Logo 480 today (actually two of them). I won’t post any pictures of the kit details, as I haven’t talked to Mikado about that, and I’ll leave that part to them. But, I will discuss the features of the design a little.

If you look at the top of this thread, there are pictured two canopy color schemes…and we received one of each. They are pretty much an EXACT replica of the Logo 800/700 canopy design (including the ESC cooling cut-outs in the front), just smaller. They are so cute-HA!

As you can see in the same pictures I noted above in the thread, the parts from the main shaft collar up are borrowed from the Logo 500/600…which is a good thing, as the designs are well proven, and will be plenty robust enough for the 480.

Likewise, from the rear of the frames back the parts are off the Logo 500/600, and likewise, this is a good thing, as the designs are well proven and again, will be plenty robust for swinging the smaller tail rotor disc of the 480 (72mm tail blades came with the kits). The carbon tail drive box sides are slightly different in the cut, to accommodate the smaller vertical fin etc. of the model. Boom is 20mm, and the tail is belt driven as are all the Logo 500/600 models.

The main frame is where all the changes are. The design is a hybrid of carbon fiber plates, molded plastic, and machined metal. There are only five carbon fiber plates in the whole frame set: the two main side plates, one front ESC mounting plate that tab-locks into the side plates ala the 800/700 design, and one small outside doubler on each side of the frames that ties together the machined metal bottom main shaft bearing block (it looks like a smaller version of the 800/700 main shaft bearing block), and the machined metal motor mount.

The whole bottom of the frames and battery tray is molded plastic, as are two internal frame stiffeners, the top main shaft bearing block (with metal screw inserts), as well as the V-Bar’s rear mounting plate (again, similar in design as with the Logo 800/700).

The belt drive system is right off the Logo 500/600…which is great, as again, the system is well proven and robust. The front idler pulleys are supported between the frames via machined metal supports (like on the carbon framed Logo 500/600), and the boom is secured in-between the frames with the same type designed machined metal mounts as on the 800/700.

Cyclic servo mounting in the frames is a similar arrangement as on the original Logo 400. The frames have pem-type blind nuts pre-installed for the servo mountings, and the tail servo mounts on the carbon frame sides like on the 700/800.

The swash plate is the same as on the Logo 500/600, with a 10mm hollow main shaft. The one way is the same size as the Logo 500/600, and the main gear is the same diameter and thickness (10mm) as on the Logo 500/600, except it is herringbone Mod .5 (212 tooth). This is going to be a very tough main and tail drive system for a 400-500 class model.

OK, that’s long enough for now. I can continue to answer Q’s as they come in, if I know the answer.

Hope this gets most of the needed info out there about what’s coming.

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld View Post
Fed-Ex got around to delivering Kyle’s new Logo 480 today (actually two of them). I won’t post any pictures of the kit details, as I haven’t talked to Mikado about that, and I’ll leave that part to them. But, I will discuss the features of the design a little.

If you look at the top of this thread, there are pictured two canopy color schemes…and we received one of each. They are pretty much an EXACT replica of the Logo 800/700 canopy design (including the ESC cooling cut-outs in the front), just smaller. They are so cute-HA!

As you can see in the same pictures I noted above in the thread, the parts from the main shaft collar up are borrowed from the Logo 500/600…which is a good thing, as the designs are well proven, and will be plenty robust enough for the 480.

Likewise, from the rear of the frames back the parts are off the Logo 500/600, and likewise, this is a good thing, as the designs are well proven and again, will be plenty robust for swinging the smaller tail rotor disc of the 480 (72mm tail blades came with the kits). The carbon tail drive box sides are slightly different in the cut, to accommodate the smaller vertical fin etc. of the model. Boom is 20mm, and the tail is belt driven as are all the Logo 500/600 models.

The main frame is where all the changes are. The design is a hybrid of carbon fiber plates, molded plastic, and machined metal. There are only five carbon fiber plates in the whole frame set: the two main side plates, one front ESC mounting plate that tab-locks into the side plates ala the 800/700 design, and one small outside doubler on each side of the frames that ties together the machined metal bottom main shaft bearing block (it looks like a smaller version of the 800/700 main shaft bearing block), and the machined metal motor mount.

The whole bottom of the frames and battery tray is molded plastic, as are two internal frame stiffeners, the top main shaft bearing block (with metal screw inserts), as well as the V-Bar’s rear mounting plate (again, similar in design as with the Logo 800/700).

The belt drive system is right off the Logo 500/600…which is great, as again, the system is well proven and robust. The front idler pulleys are supported between the frames via machined metal supports (like on the carbon framed Logo 500/600), and the boom is secured in-between the frames with the same type designed machined metal mounts as on the 800/700.

Cyclic servo mounting in the frames is a similar arrangement as on the original Logo 400. The frames have pem-type blind nuts pre-installed for the servo mountings, and the tail servo mounts on the carbon frame sides like on the 700/800.

The swash plate is the same as on the Logo 500/600, with a 10mm hollow main shaft. The one way is the same size as the Logo 500/600, and the main gear is the same diameter and thickness (10mm) as on the Logo 500/600, except it is herringbone Mod .5 (212 tooth). This is going to be a very tough main and tail drive system for a 400-500 class model.

OK, that’s long enough for now. I can continue to answer Q’s as they come in, if I know the answer.

Hope this gets most of the needed info out there about what’s coming.

Definitely a great start, and a giant step in the right direction. Thanks a million Dave!!!

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds Awesome Dave!
Chris Reibert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Dave!

What is your setup?
What is the max mainblade size?
I am courious about weight without battery too...

Thx,
Peace,
Laci
Trader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seeing first hand I completely changed my mind about this heli. I honestly thought it was a carbon fiber version of a logo 500 and being a fan of plastic I was not exactly excited about it. Well I was wrong and this heli looks like a real winner. I will leave the details to Dave, but I can't wait to get mine....
Old 11-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Trader,

Set-up: Well, what Mikado sent Kyle is not possibly the final decision as to what will be in the kit, so stay loose.

But, the motor they sent is a Scorp. 4015-1070kv, 23 tooth pinion, main gear is 212 tooth, 6S battery (not sure as to what the "sweet spot" will be yet as to the best size of the pack vs. weight penalty...probably in the 3700mah range is an early guess), with a YGE 90 (which BTW has selectable HV BEC built-in). Mini V-Bar, and the servos are all JR HV's, so the electronics are real clean. 473mm main blades, 72mm tails.

Weight RTF minus battery is 1570g, and with a Gens Ace 3800 battery (as an example), it weighs 2160g...which is just about what Mikado's web site states as the RTF weight (they state 2200g, and maximum battery size as 4000mah).

Max blade size? There's not a lot of extra clearance between the 473's and the tail blades (maybe 10-20mm), so I'd suspect that running 500mm blades is not in play.

Kyle and I working together got one machine together minus the ESC mounting, wiring and programming (the time consuming stuff), in about 3 hours. The tail and head are typical Mikado, but the frames are real sweet. Easy to build, low parts count, carbon where needed for rigidity, metal where needed for strength, and plastic where needed for light weight. Neat little machine from what I've seen so far

Old 11-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
But, the motor they sent is a Scorp. 4015-1070kv, 23 tooth pinion, main gear is 212 tooth,
I dont expect you to get enough rpm out of that setup, perhaps only 2400rpm with reasonable governor performance. Also they will only include a 20T in the standard kits, according to their specs at least.
IMHO a much better motor would have been the 3226-1400kv.

Other then that, it sounds a lot better from what you said then what they showed themselves. Strange marketing... Because based on their website information and poor pictures it looked pretty bad.
Would be nice if 500~510 could be made to fit with another boom and belt. But still the 1570grams and 470mm sounds very good (lot better then I expected).
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave, will the 480 canopy by any chance fit the standard 400 plastic frame? I would love to get one of those for my Logo 10.

Also thanks for taking the time to type out a detailed description of the kit for us.
Bullfrog98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mini or full size servos? Looks really good! Might just get one, decisions decisions, want to replace beater Align 500 for a 465mm to 500 mm machine.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

apper001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Bullfrog98,

No...not going to work. The 480 is a much taller frame. After fitting a 480 canopy on a Logo 400 at the bottom where the canopy slides onto the front gear strut, the top mounting post locations on the 480's canopy are located above the any part of the 400's frame.

@ Vinger,

Cyclic servos are mini size...no option there. But as with the Logo 400, you have the option of installing either a mini or a full size on the tail (one side of the frames is cut for a mini, and the opposite side is cut for a full size).

Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave,

Any such luck on an optional pinion that would enable us to run the more standard 6mm motor shaft options?

We are kind of pigeonholed with Scorpion at the moment, and it would be nice if Mikado gave us the ability / option to run other motors without tapering / turning down the shaft at one end.

I'd imagine not since you didn't mention it, but I thought it would be worthwhile and possibly beneficial to bring it up. Mikado...are you listening?

-Shane
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree with that,i like the heli but wont buy one unless i can choose my own motor brand.
raptor50luvver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the one-way the same as the Logo 500/600? If so could the main gear be swapped to the Mod .7? That would allow a wider range of gear ratios.
Gscott is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Optional 6mm bore motor pinions would be awesome. Waiting to hear if it will be an option before I make my decision to get one.
eltavito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

As for the question about the one-way, yes, it is the same as on the Logo 500/600.

As for pinion options, I have NO say so with Mikado about such matters. I know Mikado monitors the forums, so just continue to state what you'd prefer as options for set-ups...it's up to them after that.

(-; Dave
Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...with a YGE 90 (which BTW has selectable HV BEC built-in)
Wait, so did they send you the YGE 90 LV or HV?

This one: http://www.yge.de/artikel.php?search=yge90lv

or this one: http://www.yge.de/artikel.php?search=yge90hv

Quote:
...and the servos are all JR HV's
Which JR servo models exactly?

Let us know. Thanks for all of your help Dave!

-Shane
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope they take our concerns onboard,hope the Mod 0.7 main gears fit it OK.

Luckily SAB as example offer good gearing options on the Goblin 500 so that could be where my money goes if the 480 is not user friendly on this.
raptor50luvver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As for pinion options, I have NO say so with Mikado about such matters. I know Mikado monitors the forums, so just continue to state what you'd prefer as options for set-ups...it's up to them after that.

(-; Dave
Maybe you could give them a heads up / nudge in this direction...

There's also been a bit of discussion on motor shaft size here in my other thread as well: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=579873

Thanks Dave!

-Shane
Old 11-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ ShaneXman

The ESC is the LV version, but you'll note on the link to the LV version you provided, that the 6A BEC has three selectable voltages, ranging from 5.7V up to 8V.

The JR servos Kyle installed are wide voltage types (can be used between 4.8V up to 2S Lipo), ELS01's on the cyclic, and the ELG01 on the tail. They are a high end metal geared and metal cased mini specifically designed for 500 sized helis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in