Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my scale trex but for sure it's a semi scale as I've to learn flying with this. When I complete my necessary scale manuvering, I'd install the scale landing skid.In this model it's easy to take care of the gryo and tail serve since almost everything is wide accessable.More pics comming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 031.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	69999  
lotaloi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to doll up a little; no idea the LEDs would serve much purpose on 450 Found some LEDs from the computer junk pile, solder up with wires and connect them to balancing connector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 891-1.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	70020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 892-1.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	70021  
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

sidneyw,
Ur heli looks nice except those LEDs & landing gear. U can buy alum rod like I used....put it in. That'd look more real. Also tail fin where US flag has to be long up. Unorganized LEDs look childish but green & red can be kept as NAV lights.
lotaloi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotaloi View Post
sidneyw,
Ur heli looks nice except those LEDs & landing gear. U can buy alum rod like I used....put it in. That'd look more real. Also tail fin where US flag has to be long up. Unorganized LEDs look childish but green & red can be kept as NAV lights.
I bent my own landing skids

Too cold to fly and nothing else to do; wired and soldered some LEDs I have.

Regarding the flag orientation; either way should do. I did make a mistake on the right side where the union side should be facing the noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenShot008.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	70110  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added a little touch to the A109 today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 893.jpg
Views:	5410
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	70162  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where did you get the cable cutters for the Jet Ranger? I would like to add some VHF attenas and some cable cutters to my Hughs.
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt View Post
Where did you get the cable cutters for the Jet Ranger? I would like to add some VHF attenas and some cable cutters to my Hughs.
I use some left over styrene sheet in 2mm thickness from previous fan duct project.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I did make a mistake on the right side where the union side should be facing the noise.
Actually, you got it right. The US flag when displayed on a flat surface should always have the Union on the left from the viewer's point of view.

"we are the people our parents warned us about" - J. Buffett
Rodan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Actually, you got it right. The US flag when displayed on a flat surface should always have the Union on the left from the viewer's point of view.
Good to know, thanks.

Rodan, you have the best EC135 450 class.

What material did you use for the emergency floats? I made some with rolled up thin lexan, don't look right.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did have a nice EC135... crashed it pretty hard Saturday. Lost the tail, and managed to put it in upright, but it trashed the skids and all the mounting woodwork, and did some fiberglass damage. I'm still not sure why the tail went, the belt seemed OK, but I haven't done a full post mortem yet...

I made the emergency floats out of balsa. I just sanded some contours on them to make them look like I wanted, and painted them.

"we are the people our parents warned us about" - J. Buffett
Rodan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear the crash ..... read your build thread along with others. That tail control is a challenge despite the use of 4-blade. Well, tell us if it is the case afterward.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added the floats; don't look good :o
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 896.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	70320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 897.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	70321  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rodan, I feel your pain. My Trex-450 MD-500D went down in a very similar situation. Lost tail control and pirouetted in. Hit upright and didn't even break the landing gear, but the boom strike and flybar strike made a mess of the fuse. I think it was a lipo on its way out that caused such a loss of headspeed that the tail lost authority. Doubly frustrating since it was a fairly new lipo and only 2.5 minutes into that flight.
AMA #35431
BikeNBoatN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So you guys dont think it was a weight issue, stressing the battery? I know the more a fuselage weighs the more power is needed to keep the heli flying and Its going to pull more amps doing so. I always thought why yes, it may work for a while but will it prematurely wear out the electronics and battery... I still think the the FGs is to heavy for the 450 size chassis. I would ponder that you may need at least a 500 size power setup to fly the FG bodies in the safe zone. The FG 500 450 bodies really look to be monster size for the T-rex size helis. They look more closer to a 500 size minus the short tailbooms of the fg bodies.
Darthdrk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #95 (permalink)

Pain pain. The only pain i ever feel is in my credit card In fact i think MC and Visa should sponser us ( well me at least )
I agree with the FG weight thing my standard 450 X ( with V2 boom for the correct lenght) wouldn't lift off with the standard motor and lipo in a Heliartist MD 500. I had to upgrade both to get it to fly anywhere near decent.

Darth... if you don't mind me asking ! where did you get the detail from for your black hawk body, as in the detail to scale it. As you may of noticed i'm scratch building one for Hirobo 30 size mechs ( in another thread) and it's quite tricky to say the least.

Cheers
bigfilsing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most of the detailing is from the 1:18 BBI Blackhawk.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as crashes go, If it was one of my fuselages, I would have had you up and flying again without whopping your wallet.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll second Darth on this, as I nosed in my 222 during fast forward. Buckled the tail boom but didn't hurt the mechanics. About 20 minutes with some plastic cement and touch up paint and I was back in the air. If it were FG it'd be two weeks and a lot of sanding and repainting!
majuro15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Weight is always an issue for anything that flys. Of course, Styrene and PETG are lighter than fiber glass. There are short comings of styrene and PETG comparing to FG also.

My Darth Jet Ranger is (AUW 820g) about 80 grams lighter than my Align A109 (894g) and I could sense the difference in flght but manageable. Rodan's EC135 is 4-blade both main and tail rotors. So, let's wait for him to find out what actually caused the tail control malfunction. As far as running the battery low, well, that's pilot error.

Flying 3D puts more stress on everything than scale; image the g-force it pulls and demand from servos, battery and ESC.

Flying heli is always more expensive than plane; drops like a rock. But, the choice is ours.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Flying heli is always more expensive than plane; drops like a rock. But, the choice is ours.
And the last time my nitro Heli vibrated the RX battery off ( due to a bent main shaft )
and i lost all control. Flying a heli is nerve racking as it is without having to stand there and realise you've lost all control. I must have trimmed it quite well as it hovered for quite a few seconds ( time enough for me to run and hide) and then dropped like a rock.
I've watched guys have planes dissappear into the distance !! I'll go with the "dropped like a rock" everytime

I do think that FG bodies provide more protection for the mechs thou. And the repair is pretty easy ( unless it's completely smashed....rare) it's just the time factor i guess.

Cheers
bigfilsing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in