Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default what charger and power supply

what charger and power supply to buy for ONLY ONE 6s 5000mah 45c battery ???i will not buy bigger or another heli so i just need chargeer for only one 6s 5000mah 45c battery which one to buy ? and how long will take to charge it?
mike rc45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How long it takes to charge, and how big a charger and power supply you need, both depend on how fast the battery spec allows it to be charged.

With older batteries one normally charges at 1C rate, which for your battery would be 5A, and would take just over 1 hour to fully charge -- less, of course, if it wasn't fully discharged at the start.

Most modern LiPos can be charged at 2C or more, but only if it says so on the pack. 2C for your pack would be 10A charge rate, and it would take just over half an hour to charge.

To get what size charger and power supply you need, multiply the charge amps by the battery's fully charged voltage and add about 20% for charger inefficiency. So for 1C charging you would be looking for a (25.20 x 5 x 1.2) 151.2 watt charger.

I use a PowerLab 8 and can't speak too highly of it, with an 800 watt power supply; but I've no experience of any other modern chargers, so am not in a position to compare and recommend.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Icharger 208b's are nice.
You can charge 2 of those packs in parallel at 12 amps in 47 minutes with a 12 v 47 amp power supply.

I just got a PL 8 and two DPS 1200 FB A power supplies charging for the first time this morning. It will charge two 6S 5000 mah packs at 30 amps (3C)in 15 to 20 minutes depending on how far you run them down. I stop around 3.8 v per cell which is storage voltage so I seldom have to storage charge them.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a new Powerlab PL8 arriving tomorrow. I don't have any experience but from what I have read it is a very reliable unit. I will be charging 6S lipos as well.
Rdavis007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavis007 View Post
I have a new Powerlab PL8 arriving tomorrow. I don't have any experience but from what I have read it is a very reliable unit. I will be charging 6S lipos as well.
I love mine so far. Its not as easy to figure out as some of the chargers I've used in the past but once you learn how to navigate its not that hard.

First thing you do is set power to DC power and not battery (as in car or marine battery), set Volts to 24 or whatever your using and max input amps to 2 points lower than your max amps on the power supply. Mine was 75 Amps and the PL 8 only goes to 60 so I set it at 60. And if your using JST-XH balance plugs. You have to switch the charger to XH mode, otherwise use the stock MPA mode.

Basically you enter the menu by holding down the increase/decrease buttons then use those buttons to scroll. On the right side of the charger you have an enter and back button which are pretty self explanatory.

I couldn't charge at full power today because I got mine up and running with 12 gauge leads from the PS to the charger and at 20.8 amps they were getting warm pretty quick. I'm going to have to double those leads or just get some 10 Aug wire for that. 10 Aug sounds neater.

The wires might have survived but I didn't want to risk it as quick as they got warm, so I backed it down to 1C at 10.4 Amps for 2- 6S 5000/ 5300 lipos in parallel.
At 1C it took 47 minutes to finish the charge.

Also charged some 4S packs and 2 2S Lifepo4 packs. So far so good man. Its been a long wait to get one.

The main reason I held out for the PL 8 is because I eventually want to do 7S on my Trex 550 and I like that it will put out 40 Amps on a 24 V power supply. The Pl 6 will not do that and that's one reason why I didn't really want one of those. Of course if you buy a 32V power supply the PL 6 will do 40. Also I understand Revolectrix uses the very best IR measurement available and crams it into the PL 8 miraculously.
Also quality, I was looking for something that hopefully will last a while.

Good luck with it man, make sure you have a spare Male EC5. I had 10 females and had to order some males.

Heck the Revolectrix calculator says the PL 8 will do 24.3 Amp 6S charges on a 12V PS. All I need for 2C charge for my two 6S packs is 20.8 Amps. Maybe an occasional 3C charge though if I'm trying to get some flights in before dark which is why I wanted some real power. That would require 31.2 Amps.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

i have not problem to wait 1hour to be ready because only one battery i have.will this charger
charge me battery?if yes how long will take (MY BATTERY IS PULSE)
http://www.der-schweighofer.at/en/pr...8_eq-bid_180_w
Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rc45 View Post
i have not problem to wait 1hour to be ready because only one battery i have.will this charger

Never heard of them but it would probably work. How long depends on how many amps you charge the battery with which depends on how big of a power supply you use. Most modern batteries can be charged at 3-5C. So a 5000mah battery can be charged at 5 x 5 = 25 amps. This will require a power supply that is capable of delivering 25A's.

You can charge it at a lower amperage if you'd like, but it will take longer. It is easier on the pack however.

So it all depends. Can be anywhere from 10 - 30 min depending on charger, battery, and power supply.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pl 8 user here.

Coupled with a good 24v psu it's a beast.
I also storage charge when I come back.

So from storage to full charge i can get field ready in around 1 hour depending on the charge rates

I don't know the exact rates I have then in presets
But Charging currents are between 2c and 3 c. I use the map board and always para charge.

3 turning 6s 5000mah old packs 10A per lipo so 10a x3
4 gensace 6s 4400 mah new packs 9A ish per lipo so 10a x 4 reaching 39,x charging current at the end of cycle
mpa board has 40A fuse
4 revo 427 blend 4s 2600mah new pack 2c 5.2 *4

So that's 11 packs in around 1 hour from storage,
For me 1 hour needed to get 11 bats charged is more then fast enough.
At the field I field charge at 2c with lead bats single packs.
But with 11 packs I never have to wait ��

Ps: my 24v psu are just server psu hacked together. And I just use a ec5 connector straight from the psu no banana plugs there ��
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

i cant buy pl8 my budget is 200$ I have pulse battery and i want charger and power supply FOR ONLY ONE 6S 5000MAH 45C BATTERY
Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That charger is 180/110 watts. I presume it's 110 watts when you power it from the mains, and 180 watts if you use an external 12v source.

Your 6S LiPo should be 25.2v when it's fully charged, so at 110 watts it will be taking just over 4 amps, which is a charge rate of 0.8C for your 5000mAh battery. If it's empty, it will take about 1-1/4 hours to charge.

If you're using an external 12v power supply which can supply more than 180 watts, then you should be able to charge at up to 7 amps. That's 1.4C for your battery, so you need to check if it is able to take more than 1C charge -- as DCflyer has mentioned, most modern LiPos can take more than 1C, but it should say so on the label.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i cant buy pl8 my budget is 200$ I have pulse battery and i want charger and power supply FOR ONLY ONE 6S 5000MAH 45C BATTERY
You won't always have just one battery more than likely.
Anyhow a 10 Amp 106B icharger would do and you,d have money left to buy a power supply like this. The Pin mod is very easy.
https://www.google.com/search?client...58774766329402
I'd get the 208B though and find one 12V DPS 600 47 Amp power supply. And you still have money for 10Aug silicone wires to make connectors from charger to power supply.
Here is the icharger page at budddyrc.com http://www.buddyrc.com/power-system/.../icharger.html
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can buy a icharger 206b with junsi p350 power supply
gsxr1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey man if you decide to go with the DPS 600 it will pull 47 Amps and puts out 575 watts. Here is all the info to do the simple mods to get it working. http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/HP47A

I could not possibly have afforded a very basic 100 buck PS back when I got one of these for 15 bucks 3 years ago.

The only reason I recommended that one over the DPS 1200 watt 75 Amp is because getting it to work doesn't require soldering a 1K Ohm resistor onto 2 certain terminals.
That's not hard to do either if you can find the 1K ohm resistors.

You do have to solder leads onto the power supply which is not a big deal if you have a good hot soldering iron. buddy rc.com also carries 10 Aug Silicone wire ( very flexible and heat resistant) by the foot. Also they carry bullet connectors or you could go ahead and put EC5's to connect PS to charger just like what comes stock on the Revolectrix chargers.

Also you have to have a 3 way jumper the same size as JR servo connectors in fact you can use the wires from an old servo. Pull all 3 connectors out of the plastic JR housing and heat shrink them or not it doesn't really matter, and plug them into the 3 appropriate terminals on the DPS 600. You can cut the other end very short and solder all 3 leads together and heat shrink them or however you see fit to do it.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'm using my 106b icharger to charge my 5000 packs. It takes about 45min to charge one pack from storage charge. That's because my power supply is only 105 watts. The charger is capable of more than that, but my supply is too weak. I'm working on converting a large PC supply but until them my charging is very slow.

However, I wish I had purchased the 206 or even better the 306. At the time I only flew micros and charged small 2s packs. My friends told me to buy a larger charger but I told them I'd never need it. I was wrong.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was parallel charging a 5300 and a 5000 mah 6S at 12 amps max with a 208B and DPS 600 PS in 43 minutes. That works fine unless you only have 45 minutes to charge and fly.

This evening with my new Powerlab PL-8, 1344 watt charger with one DPS 1200 12V PS, I charged the same packs at 2C =21 Amps for the first time in 16 minutes. If I fire up the other DPS 1200 for 24 v I can parallel charge four 5000 Mah 6S packs in about the same time at 40 Amps.

Tonight was one of those times when I had 45 minutes before dusk and would have normally skipped out on flying the 550 with the 208B. Of course I could have charged one pack at 2C = 10 Amps in 16 to 20 minutes but I usually just fly the 450's 5 packs instead of fooling with the 550 for one flight near dark.

The 208B will charge all five of my 4S 1800 Mah Lipos in parallel at 2C=18 Amps in 20 minutes
and I can fly 5 times before dark. I have charged them all and flew all five packs 30 minutes before dusk.

I made do with a Venom Dual 10 amp 200/200 watt charger for several years until it konked out on me. buddyrc also carries a different brand of that same exact charger.

Id rather have two 106B's or two 208 b's than a dual charger though. It sucks losing two chargers at once in a Duo. Talk about parking your birds in a hurry. That charger would over heat if I charged 6S on both ports so I parallel charged both packs on one port at a Max of 8 Amps in about 52 Minutes at .77C charge rate.
That's two 10 Amp chargers in one with 200 watts per port. 200 watts / 25V lipo = 8 Amps max I could get out of that 10 Amp charger on 6S because of its 200 watt limitation. I charged 4S packs for the 450 on one port at the same time I charged 6S on the other and it worked great for a long time.

You want to buy the most watts and balancing power you can afford for charging big 6S packs. Watts is what limits the Amps your charger will charge when charging 6S 25 v lipo's and up. The more cells the more watts you need.

Like charging 8S lipos with the 208B for instance. Its a 350 watt max charger with 24V PS
350 watts / 33V lipo = 10.6 Amps to charge with even though the charger is a 20 Amp charger, its limited by its watts.

To get the full 20 Amps out of the charger on 8S for instance it would take 33V lipo x 20 Amps = 660 Watts.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-21-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1000 View Post
you can buy a icharger 206b with junsi p350 power supply
+1. If you want a compact, easy solution, this is a great way to go. It would let you charge your single 6s-5000 in about 30 minutes or less from 3.8v or so.

It is limited though if you have more batteries, then you would need to get into server power supplies and other chargers.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

An iCharger and server power supply is undoubtedly the cheapest way for a cheap powerful set up.

My 1000w set up (306B, 2x DELL power supplies, balance board, leads etc) in total cost less than a PL8.

Varelco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
I'm using my 106b icharger to charge my 5000 packs. It takes about 45min to charge one pack from storage charge. That's because my power supply is only 105 watts. The charger is capable of more than that, but my supply is too weak. I'm working on converting a large PC supply but until them my charging is very slow.
I don't want to burst your bubble but you don't need a 'large' psu for a 106b it can only do 220 watts @12v

It needs +13,5v to get to its max of 250 w

And nowadays it hard to push computer psu over 12v ish because of all protections on old ones it could as easy as just turning a pot to get it a bit higher
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
what charger and power supply to buy for ONLY ONE 6s 5000mah 45c battery ???i will not buy bigger or another heli so i just need chargeer for only one 6s 5000mah 45c battery which one to buy ? and how long will take to charge it?
I have PL6 and the same set up as you, i love it works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in