Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 'Rud' plug, pitchtail upgrade?

I don't know how it is on the Walkeras but on my Novus reciever, there is a socket labled 'rud' A little experimenting and this is a servo plug that moves with the rudder controlls. Maby there will be a pitchtail upgrade, eather way, it could make for some fun experiments in control.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From what I've read, If you have the brushless, then it's for the brushed motor or vis versa. That 4in1 does both brushless and brushed tails. I have the dbl brushless and it is for the brushed in my case per the manual.
Function over ALL else
my photography http://BesPhoto.com
mikejbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The brushless and brushed tail motors use the same 'tail motor' socket, the difference is the brushless gets it's power directly from the battery, and it's signal from the gyro from the lower pin on the 'tail motor' socket, the brushed uses both pins on the same socket for it's power and signal

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

But what I am saying is that I think a pitchtail mod could be done to a 4g3 by using the socket labled RUD to run the servo. You plug a servo into the RUD plug, and turn left, the servo moves one way, turn right, it goes back the other and so forth.

I can't fly good enough to begin tinkering with it, but I am wondering if you could use this servo to eather make a pitchtail, or a type of NOTAR. But instead of using that complex airflow to create lift effect they use, just have a verticle wing for a tail and vary the pitch with the servo to turn. I don't know if it will work, but as soon as I can fly good enough, I am going to try some alternative tails. I just love to tinker.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, sorry I was trying to add to what Mike was saying and kind of missed your point - interesting idea - been done once before that I know of - details including a vid here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=115181

Also check this out - just posted in the 4#3B forum:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=11

now imagine that on a 4G3

Dusty
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the idea of moving the motor closer to the body. Reduce the lenght of those LONG thin wires leading to the tail motor. (they can't be good for resistance) and help with center of gravity issues.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the awesome piro rate that impressed me - never seen any sort of 4#3 piro clockwise at anywhere near the speed of the one in that vid
Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the power increase is due to the shorter wires and reduced resistance. Those tiny wires length adds to resistance quickly. I have replaced the tiny wires with bigger ones I savaged from an old USB cable. I have not flown it yet (main motor does not make enough power to take off anymore, new motor coming in today, Brushless yay!) but testing it out on the ground it is more powerfull. In fact, with the worn main motor it was leaving the ground a little.

Looking at my 4g3, I am developing a pitchtail plan

Replace the retaining colar on the main shaft with a tiny pully.
Reinforce the tail with a guide wire from the tip to the lower part of the body. (to counter act tension of belt)
Rig a tail shaft mount with bearings and a pully. Run the belt from the pully on the main shaft, between the servos, to the tail pully.

Agian, I can't do this till I can fly better and can tell if the heli is behaving oddly because of the mod, or because of my lack of skill. By that time 4g6 parts should be avalable and I can use tail coponents from it instead of fabricating from scratch.

But I will make it a removable tail module, so I can go back to the conventional tail easily. That way I can truly see if the pitchtail is worth the complexity, and I will not be taking my heli out of flying status while working on the pitchtail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in