Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default mCPx V2 -> brushless conversion or buy a BL?

I've owned my mCPx V2 for about 2 years now. Since then I've bought a 130x and 180CFX. Don't fly a lot and don't spend much time on sim, so it's been a slow process to learn to fly. Now to a point that I'm decent with sport flying and would like to progress to some mild 3D. Would rather use the mCPx V2 than the other helis since it crashes so well, especially with the BL head.

As you probably all know, the stock mCPx V2 is "a bit" underpowered for 3D flying. My dilemna now is should I mod the V2 or sell it and buy a BL. I've read a little about the fragile board for the BL, which is the main reason I'm hesitant to go that route. For brushless conversion, there seems to be so many options that it's a bit overwhelming. I like soldering, so that's not a concern, just don't want to spend too much time troubleshooting a setup. I appreciate any advice!
tribe123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doing a brushless conversion is fairly intimidating, but if you are good at tiny soldering, you should do alright...

There is a required frame mod for the outrunner motors when using the stock frame, and CF or delrin frame supports are almost a must-do as well...if you have a aftermarket CF frame, no frame mod is needed...

However...

If you experiment a bit using larger blade sizes with the stock mCPX setup, you may just find a combination you like

I've had great success using mCPX BL and 130X main blades with upgrade tail motor (7mm or a double-6) setups...the larger blades fit right into the mCPX stock grips (although the mCPX BL grips work quite a bit better) and the increase in lift without bogging the brushed main motor is amazing to say the least

Recently I've played with extending the mCPX tail boom as well...and I have them flying bigger than any mCPX I've ever seen

I've got several short articles in My Blog if you care to take a look

https://www.helifreak.com/blogs/jonjet/
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

In addition to the frame mods and small soldering, the brushless conversion will require flashing the BLHeli software to the ESC...which means you need the programming and the programming stick

For learning purposes, a main blade and tail upgrade should do fine
Old 07-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

JonJet - thanks for the great advice, as always! I have some 130x blades, so that makes it a really cheap experiment. You have recommendation on batteries?
tribe123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure...I prefer the Oversky 300mAh 45C...

But the Lectron Pro 300mAh 35C is a close second
Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jon,

I just converted my MCPX V1 to a double brushless and its running amazing. I've been selling these ESCs/motors and installing them but never had one of my own. I love it! I'm not quite done with it but when I finish it I might send it your way and let you test it out.
megasmicros is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasmicros View Post
Jon,

I just converted my MCPX V1 to a double brushless and its running amazing. I've been selling these ESCs/motors and installing them but never had one of my own. I love it! I'm not quite done with it but when I finish it I might send it your way and let you test it out.
LOL...sound like a plan...be happy to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in