Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

View Poll Results: Is the KDE 700 Tail upgrade worth the money of buying it?
Yes, it is a great upgrade. 22 61.11%
NO, it is way more hassle than it is worth. 13 36.11%
I recommend spending money on this for an upgrade...post below. 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDE Tail Upgrade...to buy or not to buy?

So I am looking at spending a lil cash on my 700E and want to know if this is worth getting? I have read both good and bad, so figured I would post and see what you guys think....Here is what I am looking at getting:

http://helidirect.com/kde-performanc...on-p-23702.hdx

Also will this work on a V1 Trex 700E or only the V2?
Radiomaster TX16
Phoenix 6.0 Flight Sim
Rick Dizzle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it's a great upgrade. It takes away just about all the slop in the tail control mechanism, making the tail hold solid.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

I don't see any slop with the CNC tail arm from Align. Don't see any reason buying this KDE upgrade.
popokatepetl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It works on V1 and V2. I beleive its a huge improvment underload. Its butter smooth.

I dont think the OEM version is even a close comparison.

Here is my V2 B hub with KDE setup.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think just upgrading to the V2B grips with the shims plus the original KDE link only upgrade (the one that dumps the brass bushing/collar for double ball bearings) is the most cost effective upgrade. Upgrading the slider, while more robust, is overkill.
T-rex 600EFL V-bar T-rex 700E V-Bar
magbarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The KDE tail control is far superior in my opinion. The Align system wears quickly and develops slop although it has fewer parts. I just replaced my KDE tail control with a new KDE kit after thousands of flights. The KDE does wear and develope slop but it takes a long time.

Also when using the KDE kit be sure to use sleeve retainer (they recommend blue locktite) between all of the outer bearing races and the bearing holders. This is where slop develops when the bearing begins to move within the CNC parts. It is covered in the instructions so this is nothing new, just a reminder.

Glenn
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thoughts from my experiences in this area.

You will have to have the V2 performance mod as well as the slider upgrade as well as a V2 Align tail. All this will cost you over $100.00.

If you go with the RC-TEK I2 tail, you will get a new hub/grips and yoke that are properly designed for the 700. Dual radial, one thrust bearing with no slop at all. The existing slider will work fine with the I2 system. That will cost $72.00 or there abouts. When I installed the I2 setup, it was as smooth a tail system as I have had on 5 different Align helis.

FWIW, my 2c worth.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kegerator Shill Account

I have the KDE 700 tail installed on all five of my 700 helicopters (2 Electrics, 3 Nitros) and love it. No one can convince me the stock ALIGN setup worked as well - all five of mine had developed slop in only a few weeks of flying and I haven't had any issue with the KDE tails for months now. The price seems reasonable, as I'm not changing parts each month due to the old parts wearing out. No wear anywhere and the tail is always rock solid and smooth. I used to mess around changing tail gains and such in the past but now I simply dial in the gain and leave it - works great.
Helirob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Can someone explain to me the difference between using my stock V1 stuff vs the new V2 stuff with this kit...great pic of a V2...looking to understand what a V1 looks like and if I have to buy extra parts other than the KDE kit...
Radiomaster TX16
Phoenix 6.0 Flight Sim
Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here goes.

Align V1 tail: only 1 radial and 1 thrust bearing. Hub bolts get side load and break.

Align V2 tail: 2 radial and one thrust. Addresses the bolt breaking problem. There is no spacer between the thrust and radial bearings. Because of tolerances in machining, sometimes you can tighten the spindle bolt without causing binding, sometimes you can't. The real problem lies in the fit of the radial/thrust bearing under rotation. With no spacer between the radial and thrust bearing, both races of the radial bearing come into contact with the thrust bearing during rotation and the centrifugal forces cause binding/tail wagging. The fix is to install a shim/spacer between the radial and thrust bearings. Now with the shim installed, the hub bolt can't be fully tightened without causing binding.

V2a tail: Align addressed the issue by including a spacer in the tail kit, but the hub was a hit or miss as far as allowing the bolt to be fully tightened.

V2b tail: The center hub is now longer to allow the hub bolt to be fully tightened without causing binding. Tail kit includes the required shim.

That's the differences to the best of my knowledge.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to hear more opinions of the I2 stuff especially the three blade tail. Do you get more tail authority swinging shorter blades? I may need to give it a try.

Glenn
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
Here goes.

Align V1 tail: only 1 radial and 1 thrust bearing. Hub bolts get side load and break.

Align V2 tail: 2 radial and one thrust. Addresses the bolt breaking problem. There is no spacer between the thrust and radial bearings. Because of tolerances in machining, sometimes you can tighten the spindle bolt without causing binding, sometimes you can't. The real problem lies in the fit of the radial/thrust bearing under rotation. With no spacer between the radial and thrust bearing, both races of the radial bearing come into contact with the thrust bearing during rotation and the centrifugal forces cause binding/tail wagging. The fix is to install a shim/spacer between the radial and thrust bearings. Now with the shim installed, the hub bolt can't be fully tightened without causing binding.

V2a tail: Align addressed the issue by including a spacer in the tail kit, but the hub was a hit or miss as far as allowing the bolt to be fully tightened.

V2b tail: The center hub is now longer to allow the hub bolt to be fully tightened without causing binding. Tail kit includes the required shim.

That's the differences to the best of my knowledge.
I have model kit # KX018E05T with my tail looking like this:

Which one is this? I have already added this:
http://www.kdedirect.com/TREX550600700PTUV2.html

Will I need anything else for the rest of the KDE kit to work?

Sorry just trying to grasp the concept...Thx!
Radiomaster TX16
Phoenix 6.0 Flight Sim
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dizzle View Post
I have model kit # KX018E05T with my tail looking like this:

Which one is this? I have already added this:
http://www.kdedirect.com/TREX550600700PTUV2.html

Will I need anything else for the rest of the KDE kit to work?

Sorry just trying to grasp the concept...Thx!
That is the V1 Tail hub and grip, I dont htink the tail control was any differant on the V2 700E.

The item you bought from KDE was needed and can and should be used with the V2 tail hub and grips along with the KDE tail control.

The difference between V1 and V2 tail hub and grip is:

On the V1 the grip could shear off at the bolt holding the grip on and it was a bit sloppy. The V2 hub goes into the grip and is supported by grip bearings. The V2 also has 3 bearings 2 radial and 1 thrust. This is a good thread if you have not read it already. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=332838

Just so you know my heli in the picture early in this thread displaying the KDE upgrades and V2 hub and grips started life as a V1 Tail.

So it looks like you already have 1 part of the puzzle.

I hope i understood your question and this helps.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I only have this upgrade. Enough for me.

Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 2c. I have the KDE performance tail control and the V2 tail (no need for the performance tail upgrade) and it is awesome..... Rock Solid with RotorTech's

If u have the bucks do it. I like my tail, nice and shiny now. (Similar to DoctorJ on 1st page)
T-Rex 700E (700MX (BOCA #7) / DS610 & DS650 / 3GX / CC ICE 2 HV 120 / Radix 690 SB / Rotortech 105 / Nano-Tech 4500mAh 25-50C)
dvillijs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im very happy with mine. This is on a 700N. This is what mine looks like now, im very please with how it went together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120430_212207.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	312722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120430_212218.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	312723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120430_212213.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	312724  
lowsmoke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All of my KDE upgrades have been great. Top notch customer service, top notch products.

Why is the poll closed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in