Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybarless suggestions

hey guys, thinking about going flybarless with my Gaui 425....but i cant decide which flybarless rotor head to get?
ive seen most of the people getting the X4 rotor head...but its a shorter rotor head and im afraid i will have a tail boom strike if i use that head.
im also looking at the FES head...but i dont know what the quality of that FBL head is like so im afraid to get it? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ChrisRain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive flown both... the FES head is of very good quality but uses the stock main shaft so it sits pretty high. Flys well though.. The X4 head is what im currently flying. You are right its much lower but I have yet to have a boom strike and I beat the snot out of this machine.. I see you are in the valley.. We have the X4 head on the shelf at both National Hobbies locations. I may bring mine out to the electric fun fly at the Sun Valley fliers field this saturday if you want to see it in action...
stevenfox905 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfox905 View Post
Ive flown both... the FES head is of very good quality but uses the stock main shaft so it sits pretty high. Flys well though.. The X4 head is what im currently flying. You are right its much lower but I have yet to have a boom strike and I beat the snot out of this machine.. I see you are in the valley.. We have the X4 head on the shelf at both National Hobbies locations. I may bring mine out to the electric fun fly at the Sun Valley fliers field this saturday if you want to see it in action...
oh, thats good to hear that you guys have the x4 head in stock, i actually shop at the national hobbies in chandler quite a bit.
thats good to hear that you have never had a boom strike...thats the main thing im worried about. i might just come on over to sun valley fliers on saturday. not quite sure though as i may be busy that day.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMHO you can use both, X5 and X4 FES head with some tweaking,
you will find more informations here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=289867
Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the FES on my 500mm blade Hurricane with great success, but as mentioned it sits very high. I have a cut-down head that I am going to put on my 550mm bladed Hurricane - if any of them will blade strike I think that it will be that combination.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i like the x4 head better, the jesus bolt is not going thru the swash lock arms.

they actually cross each other.

you need super long links to use the x5 head on the 425 , hmm let me see if i have a pic here some where

yup here is my old 425 cf frame, bl servos,torque tube, x4 fes head
i miss that heli

fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
i like the x4 head better, the jesus bolt is not going thru the swash lock arms.

they actually cross each other.

you need super long links to use the x5 head on the 425 , hmm let me see if i have a pic here some where

yup here is my old 425 cf frame, bl servos,torque tube, x4 fes head
i miss that heli

that heli looks awesome!

How difficult is it to setup flybarless helis compared to flybarred helis?
and does the heli fly much better when its flybarless?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It feels more stable to me, like its locked in. I could never get the flybar to feel right for me. I went to fbl almost right away.

The fbl setup is not bad, but i wouldnt say its a walk in the park.

If you follow the beast x manual, step by step, everything will come out fine. And the geometery is important too, but thats mostly built in the head. The x4 head was right on the money for fbl. Some heads are not.

Key things about fbl is the setup has to be 100 % correct,
The heli cant have really bad vibes, like a bent tail shaft or notchy bearings
And when your taking off, just give it collective, dont move the aile or elev

Ill tell you one thing, ill never go back to flybar.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats good to hear that it isnt bad with setting up.
howcome its important not to move cyclic while taking off? will it confuse the gyro?

i think im gonna go ahead and try the FBL, it sounds like you have had a great success with it so i think ill get the stuff as soon as i can.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, if you move the cyclic on the ground when the heli is spooling up

It could tip over.

i think the gyros arent ready until its off the ground, or moving so they can sense movement.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
Yeah, if you move the cyclic on the ground when the heli is spooling up

It could tip over.

i think the gyros arent ready until its off the ground, or moving so they can sense movement.
ahhh, i see...well thanks for that tip.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRain View Post
thats good to hear that it isnt bad with setting up.
howcome its important not to move cyclic while taking off? will it confuse the gyro?
What happens is ... you are sitting on the ground rotor spinning, you put in some right cyclic
but because the heli is on the floor it can't move, but you have told the FBL unit to move right - so it put's in more right cyclic, still don't move so it puts in more right cyclic etc. etc. until you crash. It is the same as the tail on a heli with the gyro in HH - if you give it right rudder it will sit there with the slider over to the right forever - same principle but with the swash.

HTH,
Mike.

Last edited by Mikej; 11-15-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
What happens is ... you are sittign on the ground rotor spinning, you put in some right cyclic
but because the heli is on the floor it can't move, but you have told the FBL unit to move right - so it put's in more right cyclic, still don't move so it mputs in more right cyclic etc. etc. until you crash. It is the same as the tail on a heli with the gyro in HH - if you give it right rudder it will sit there with the slider over to the right forever - same principle but with the swash.

HTH,
Mike.
ahhhh, i see. Will hopefully remember not to touch the cyclic when i do go flybarless. Hopefully going to get microbeastX within the week and then shortly afterwards the X4 head. might have some questions for you guys with setup when i finally do get it so be ready.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in