Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Lepton vs Trex 500

Hey all,

i know this is a Lepton Forum, so it's going to be fairly baised, but I just wanna get a feel for my choices. I can't afford anything for a long time, so I really just thinking aloud.

Basically, regarding build quality/durability, performance, flight times and price etc (usual questions), how does the Lepton fair against the Trex 450 and 500? I have a 450, but I would like to get something bigger in the near future (within the next year or so) so I'm primarily looking and the 500, and now also the Lepton.

Any tips/opinions etc?

Thanks!!
Plane Hazza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own a lepton and a 450SEV2 and when I go out I use the 450 more because I am more comfortable with it as I am still a noob.
If the 500 is as good as the 450 then it should be stunning to fly.
I can sit looking at the lepton all day and the build quality is 10/10 and I think it will be my favourite to fly,I just gotta get past being nervous first.
They both have a strong following but I can't say anything about the 500 as I don't own one but I have heard one or two posts on here from people that have both and they preffer the trex.
Do a search on here try searching"lepton vs trex 500" and see what comes up.
I apologise that I can't give much detail on them but I am too new to try and point you in a direction.
I hope this helps a little.
Danny.
lepton ex123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lepton is by far lighter. You will do with 4S what is needing 6S on a Rex. Overal material quality is uncomparable. Just the screws questions...Lepton Parts will be more expensive. Hirobo is expensive. So if you think you may crash often... The Lepton is also a lot more quiet (because of the Delrin main gear probably).

I have another heli that could be perfect. The JR SVE (Vibe 500E with Japan canopy). Quality is unbelievable (T-500 is very bad on that point), flys very well (better than the T-500 according to a friend that tried both) and parts are 20 to 30% cheaper while being of a far better quality. JR is selling a version with Hacker motor and Esc. Made for 4S but you can use 5S is you want strong power. The best adress to order it is RC champ in japan. Cheap, efficient and full stock of parts. One more time, T-500 can't compete with the SVE (it's exactly like compare T-600 and JR Vibe 50.)

So i will advise you the JR Super Voyager E if you are an average pilot or the Lepton if you want max power and don't care about crash.

Nicolas
rotodingo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Lepton and flew a improperly set-up Trex500 last weekend.
The Trex was like a cute BRICK.
The Lepton is expensive but its miles ahead of the Trex quality wise and mine flies like a rocket on rails
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flew a improperly set-up Trex500 last weekend.

perhaps it would be better if it were set up right. what is the average crash cost the Lepton?
progunpilot85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The comparison is Japan VS Taiwan. That's the difference. You get what you pay for with the Lepton, pure Japanese quality that can't be beat.
Tmblewd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

how many people fly T-rex's and how many people fly Leptons?
I guarantee you that at any field the T-rex will overwhelm the Hirobo Lepton, Like the Raptors do everywhere ive ever been
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mabe you could go on a game show, special interest, the bloody obvious.
owde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman37 View Post
how many people fly T-rex's and how many people fly Leptons?
Popularity is not very important
Henseleit make wonderful heli's but you hardly ever see them in the USA and here in Australia
What conclusion would you draw from that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman37 View Post
Like the Raptors do everywhere ive ever been
Here in Australia - the Raptor is basically extinct
You hardly ever see them now and if you are unfortunate enough to own one, you can't even sell them now (no buyers)

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The one thing I've noticed in this hobby, it's like keeping up with the Jones's. The first guy to get something cool, the next guy has to get one too but the imporved version. Everyone in your area is buying one because Bobby Jones has one. I noticed it quite a bit here in town. Jason Krause flew for MA, there were a lot of MA heli's around. Then he started Synergy and everyone here in town was getting one. Now that he is with Align, there are TRex's all over the place out here. It's probably the same thing where you live. I can tell you that there are only 2 people that I know of that have Lepton's in my area. Me and another guy. We both mail order our parts because there is no Hirobo support out here anymore.

Last edited by Tmblewd; 04-22-2009 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have no hirobo pilots out here, i was looking at the Lepton myself because I'm not impressed with the T-rex 500 at all, nor the 600NSP. i dont see that many T-rex's out here either, at least we all still have SOMETHING to fly anyways.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're no pro get what you can find parts for easiest.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fully agree with Tmblewd

The Trex500 is a nice little heli that flies well - it's a tad heavy but that's not a big issue
The 600NSP version does not do anything for me - it's just bling
I do like the 600N

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used to agree with "JaggedEdge" only because it was so much easier to get your heli flying if it crashed. I'd try and use what the LHS sold in order to get parts easier. But, nowadays, it's so much easier for me to just mail order what I need. Then I don't have to deal with the BS from the LHS.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

see im not patient enough to wait for the truck, when i have an LHS 10 Mins down Rt.34.
im about to say screw it on a few things, like Lipo's and ESC/Motors cuz theres more variety and better prices. But all in all they need to make a living, my LHS owner has been VERY accomodating to me, including letting me wrench on the machine on her counter after i bought the parts.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, that's cool. Not too many LHS will let you work on your Heli in the shop. There's one here that will do that, but I would rather work on mine in my house so I don't have to listen to the commontary. Course I can also turn up the radio and drown out the kids.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

no commentary at mine, all helis
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very easy to have Lepton parts from Japan. And quick too.Lepton and T-500 can't be compared. The T-500 is a heavy truck. The Lepton is by far lighter and very efficient. I'm using mine with old batts i can't use anymore on my Vibe 500E. The Lepton is still happy with them. I think the Protos is also a very good choice beeing eaven lighter and really well made. Cheap parts i heard. Beside you can't compare the Vibe 500 and the T-500. This last one is the one NOT to buy. Quality is so low...
rotodingo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

So whats the story with the Vibe 500E, it looks good, is it ?
owde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why is the Lepton a better flying heli than trex 500?

How much does the Lepton weigh?

Is there anyone that has owned both helis and taken the time to set both up properly all stock than can answer the above questions?
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in