Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Anyone else get the OSD Pro email?

I got an email from Eagletree recently. The OSD Pro should be shipping soon. YES! Now if I could only get my FPV gear purchased.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The OSD Pro looks pretty interesting!!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Got a tracking number

I got another email from ET. This one with a tracking number. I'm pretty sure the OSD Pro is the only item I'm waiting for from them. Can you say cised?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want one. I wouldn't be hooking this up on a heli but I do now have a plane and this would be awesome. Have to buy a lot of stuff for it though.

One question though. Anyone know how this would work with a spektrum receiver with the built in failsafe? I wouldn't think it would be able to trigger the return to home. It may I suppose if it used the position of a spare channel. I know spektrum isn't a good choice for fpv.
MTBikerTim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Should work with Spektrum

I don't know why Spektrum is a problem.

Pretty much all radios have failsafe now. Most failsafes drive one or more channels to a preset place when the link is lost. The OSD Pro will just take over and drive the channels (servos) itself. It does not care what the receiver is doing. Just make sure any channels NOT controlled by the OSD Pro are not going to crash the model.

I don't know why Spektrum is a problem for FPV. I and others are using 2.4 for control and 900 for video.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

So having a Spektrum shouldn't really be a problem because the OSD pro failsafe should take over?
helicopter118 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to wait to order the Pro until it was actually out. So after seeing this thread, I decided to go ahead and order. I placed my order on Thursday, the 28th, and it got delivered today... not bad.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohland View Post
I don't know why Spektrum is a problem.

Pretty much all radios have failsafe now. Most failsafes drive one or more channels to a preset place when the link is lost. The OSD Pro will just take over and drive the channels (servos) itself. It does not care what the receiver is doing. Just make sure any channels NOT controlled by the OSD Pro are not going to crash the model.

I don't know why Spektrum is a problem for FPV. I and others are using 2.4 for control and 900 for video.
I don't know much about fpv. The reason I said 2.4 wasn't the best was because a lot of people didn't use it as they used 2.4 for the video.

So what would be a good setup to use with the OSD Pro

I have:
DX7
Plane
eLogger v3

I assume I would need
OSD Pro
GPS unit
Camera
video transmitter
video receiver
display

Would that be it? For the display could you use a portable DVD player with video in? And for recording do you just use a handycam with video in as well? I have been thinking about doing this for a while, ever since I saw youtube videos of it. This OSD has inspired me though especially with the return to home feature. Better then having to find your plane in a thousand acre paddock.
MTBikerTim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, if you have a 2.4 radio tx, you should not use a video tx that is also 2.4. They have to be different. Of course, you have to check for what is legal in your country first then order the rest of the equipment based on that. 2.4 is better than a 900 system but if you already have a radio 2.4 system, you "couldn't" use it. One of the things you are missing on your system is the recorder. You do NOT have to have it but if you want to record, you will need to get a recorder to post it like in youtube. Another extra piece could be a diversity "receiver" to allow better reception. This is NOT a must but can help.

Check out the FPV thread here
https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128
Before I forget, since you are flying a plane, make sure the plane you have can carry all that stuff around. The OSD, Eagle Tree, sensors and wires can get pretty bulky, good luck.

Getting back on topic, my OSD Pro is here. It's almost the same size as the old one. Now to wrap it up and send it back to Eagletree.... I was starting to wonder if the promised OSD Pro would actually be released in my lifetime.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Lots of wires

Merlin, I got mine the same day you did. I don't want to tackle the massive wiring job just before MHA. I'm planning to wait for the replacement transmitter and camera then do it all at once. I don't want to get into the FPV gear in this thread because that discussion belongs elsewhere. Lets try to keep this thread on the OSD Pro.

I have the 5Mhz GPS module. I've heard there is a new smaller one coming from ET. Anyone know what is going on there? The Big Red is OK but I would like a smaller one if available.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The picture on the ET site is the same (red) but it says it's the new/smaller one. I recall seeing a thread where the person took a picture of the old one (red) next to the new GPS and it was probably about half the size smaller. Because of this, I don't know if just the picture hasn't been updated and the smaller has already been released OR if there is an even smaller one ready to come out.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

A found a picture of the smaller GPS here below but he didn't say if he just purchased the GPS module.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=137892
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Me to also

That was the same thread I saw which led me to think there may be a new module. I hope we get the official word. I would really like that smaller one.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Guys,
Bill bought that one at the Toledo show. There are more pictures he posted in the ETUG.
Bill Parry is behind on getting the official release posted. I'll bug him about it.

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry about not putting some info in with that picture. Yes I bought that GPS module at the show in Toledo this past year but didn't get the remote antenna not sure if I will need it. Haven't got around to using it yet (I am little slow sometimes) but as soon as I do I will let you all know how it goes...didn't realize it wasn't up on the site yet..or is I haven't looked lately.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got my ET OSD PRO last Friday, and it came with the new tiny GPS. Its about the size of my thumb from the tip to the first joint.

I also attest it gets great reception. My $600 Garmin marine GPS receiver gives me nothing inside the shop when tinkering with it. This itsy bitsy gps module finds 7 satellites quickly with an HDOP of 1.8
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

So basicaly, Eagletree just needs to update their picture on their website. They do say "new smaller faster" gps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLerch View Post
I got my ET OSD PRO last Friday, and it came with the new tiny GPS. Its about the size of my thumb from the tip to the first joint.

I also attest it gets great reception. My $600 Garmin marine GPS receiver gives me nothing inside the shop when tinkering with it. This itsy bitsy gps module finds 7 satellites quickly with an HDOP of 1.8
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay on getting the new photos and info posted for the new GPS! We have been so busy this spring that even the little things have been delayed. :o

The info and photos are now updated on the website.
billpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Billpa, is there like an "update" option for the GPS to get the new one? I got confused with the picture so I order one about 2 months ago not knowing that there a new one out... so now I have two old ones
Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi Merlin,

The new one wasn't released a couple of months ago. We released it a little over a month ago, but didn't announce it until recently.

Note that the new one is lighter/smaller than the old one, but they perform basically the same otherwise. We don't have an upgrade program unfortunately.
billpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in