Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very true!!!!
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a 2:30 vid from the SD1 shot yesterday while skiing. Great cam to haul around the mountains, as it's so light and small. Footage downrezzed to 1280x720 in the WMV, and lowdef in QT.

Quicktime7 32mb-best viewed at 1/3 screen size

Windows High Definition 113mb Best to right click and 'save as'. Will need speedy computer to view smoothly
Piton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

excellent piece! that was great!
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice, are you a professional cameraman? The quality is exceptional.

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

More reviews on this cam............

If you're shooting on snow, in bright, sunny conditions, do not shoot in auto. This cam will blow out the highlights pretty badly. I've been bumping the iris down two stops and it works great. My FX1 handles auto mode in the run and gun situations well in bright snow, but this cam doesn't if you don't tell it what to do. It also adds a very slight green cast in these conditions. Easily removable with simple color correction, but something to be aware of.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My wife loved the last two clips but kept saying "Thats got to be horrible with all the snow in your face", I just looked at here and said you didn't know me when I was a hippy living in Summit county in 89'.
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: video from Panasonic SD1 hi-def

Quote:
Originally Posted by N74DV
got the SD1 up and running. took me a bit to figure out how to convert the .mts file it shoots to something I could edit with.

Anyhow here's a flight from yesterday.

Love the camera but I can see where it will pick up anything that you don't want... the littlest shake/wobble will manifest itself much more pronounced.

Aside from that it's AWESOME. This clip doesn't do it justice. It needs to be seen on an HD monitor at full res.

http://azchoppercam.com/logocam/hd_test.wmv (1:40 @ 56mb)
This is really very good

I was thinking of using a Panasonic NV-GS500 but it is 630 gr + the battery (200 gr more than the SD1). 3 CCD in the GS500.

So I'm not sure which heli size I would need.. If anybody has an idea that would be welcome.

Thank you in advance :mrgreen:
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you don't need it right now, just wait a bit because Panasonic has announced to release the SD3 already in a couple of weeks. Real 1920 x 1080p resolution without the downconverting to 1440 x 1080 of the SD1:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...070404/130166/

Even the cam is remarkable small and light, I would not hang it on anything smaller than a 50 size heli.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
If you don't need it right now, just wait a bit because Panasonic has announced to release the SD3 already in a couple of weeks. Real 1920 x 1080p resolution without the downconverting to 1440 x 1080 of the SD1:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...070404/130166/

Even the cam is remarkable small and light, I would not hang it on anything smaller than a 50 size heli.
Thank you very much for the tip :glasses2: I did buy the Panasonic NV-GS500 few month ago as a birthday present to the other half

So to protect her 'heavy' tool I better buy the 'llittle' SD3 :mrgreen:

I love electric helis, so a lepton 500 :?:
Old 04-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Real 1920 x 1080p resolution without the downconverting to 1440 x 1080 of the SD1:
if you capture through the HDMI port on the SD1 you get 1920.

but it will be nice for sure to get 1920 in the .mts file!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

More SD1 footage from skiing the other day.
Superior South Face-130mb-Windows HDV

Superior South Face-51mb-Quicktime 7-Not HDV

Can you guess why I'm learning the AP/AV thing? It's not to take pictures of houses. :wink: More of a different kind of realestate.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

do you have a picture of that camera mounted..??

Thanks Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #73 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Beautifly done. Great mood music.
Buzzkill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a sweet camera. I have been salavating over it for a while now. (Thanks a lot, DJ!) I'm about ready for a new Camcorder. I have been flying around my old brick Sony TRV-18. I have never used an HD camera, but can see how huge the quality difference is. Are there any new options for editing? That's what has kept me from plunking down the credit card.

Tip
Monterey_Tip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladebreaker
That is a sweet camera. I have been salavating over it for a while now. (Thanks a lot, DJ!) I'm about ready for a new Camcorder. I have been flying around my old brick Sony TRV-18. I have never used an HD camera, but can see how huge the quality difference is. Are there any new options for editing? That's what has kept me from plunking down the credit card.

Tip
Vegas will edit AVCHD, but only from Sony cams.
Nero sucks for AVCHD.
Elecard works.
Pinnacle now supports AVCHD for $99
Black Magic Intensity PCI E card for HDV input capture.

AVCHD is a funky codec. The motion artifact can be a bit ugly in my opinion. It also handles bright conditions (snow) very poorly. You absolutely have to stop it down 2 stops beyond your zebras, or you'll end up with an ugly green hue in the highlights. This makes color correction pesky. The LCD screen is not bright enough in bright daylight conditions, and it doesn't have a viewfinder. Fine for AV, but not good for other uses. I have this cam, and have shot about 200 hours of footage with it. It's nice and light, but I wouldn't buy it again because I'm not a fan of the motion signature it produces. These of course, are just my opinions.

I'll sell you mine. :wink:
Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

You definitely are good at shooting the "real estate", Piton.
So your other HD camera handles bright snow better? I won't be shooting much in the snow. The only thing I get that is bright white around here is the summer fog. I'm tempted to just get a new 3ccd panny Mini DV camera and wait for the HD cams to evolve a little more.

Tip
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You definitely are good at shooting the "real estate", Piton.
So your other HD camera handles bright snow better? I won't be shooting much in the snow. The only thing I get that is bright white around here is the summer fog. I'm tempted to just get a new 3ccd panny Mini DV camera and wait for the HD cams to evolve a little more.

Tip
The image quality in normal conditions is excellent. But again, it doesn't handle a blue sky and very bright, white clouds well. So say you are flying your heli, and you have it metered for a ground exposure, if clouds appear in your frame, they appear very slightly green.

Of course any camera will blow highlights, but this cam seems to blow them, and turn them green.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
but this cam seems to blow them, and turn them green.
I've not noticed that with mine.... ???... wierd. And I'm keen to color grading in post.

do you have a sample .mts file I could look at that shows the green tint in overexposed areas?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N74DV
Quote:
but this cam seems to blow them, and turn them green.
I've not noticed that with mine.... ???... wierd. And I'm keen to color grading in post.

do you have a sample .mts file I could look at that shows the green tint in overexposed areas?
I've deleted most of the .mts files from my hard drive, and have only the converted files. I'll see if I can dig up a stray and send it to you. I'll upload it to my server and PM you a link.

The best way I've found to remedy the green hue is to do the following......
1. Meter for zebras
2. Stop down until all zebras are gone
3. Stop down one more.

This is what I'm doing when shooting on snow, with 80% of the picture being bright snow.

In normal conditions, no problem. But if there are any puffy white clouds, I find I have to be careful with exposure. I've been doing this when using it on the heli as well. Always shooting manual exposure.

At this point, my heli footage is just me practicing, as my piloting skills are still not to the point of what I consider usable footage. It's vibe free, but I still suck. :wink:
Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Tip
Check out the new Canon HV20: Runs on tape with uncompressed HDV 1920 x 1080 res. Only 530 g. weight and 24P cinematic mode (NTSC version). Check out the review: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Just got mine yesterday..... :glasses2:

This is an awesome clip: http://www.nightfallinteractive.com/sc/HV20/rain.wmv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in